Matt Leinart's violates NCAA rule

paynomind

Matt Leinart's appearance in a promotional spot for ESPN violated an NCAA rule, but the USC quarterback had his eligibility restored Tuesday, an NCAA spokesman told the Los Angeles Times.

USC declared Leinart ineligible this month after the spot -- a "SportsCenter is next" promo that was taped after the Trojans' Dec. 3 victory over UCLA -- aired on ESPN. The Trojans reported the violation to the NCAA and petitioned for Leinart's reinstatement.

"Whenever we are aware that media outlets ask student-athletes to do these kinds of tags, we immediately cut them off," Tim Tessalone, USC's sports information director, told the Times. "Unfortunately, this one slipped by."

According to the NCAA's Kent Barrett, Leinart's actions were "unintentional and inadvertent. This was the type of thing where it was obvious the student-athlete was not attempting to become an endorser of a network."

Leinart, who finished third in this year's Heisman Trophy balloting and won the award last year, has practiced three times in preparation for the Jan. 4 Rose Bowl against Texas.

Barrett told the Times athletes may take part in practice and team and school activities while reinstatement petitions are considered by the NCAA. Leinart's situation came to light when USC's sports information staff turned down post-practice interview requests for the senior, who is made available to the media only on Tuesdays.

Tessalone said Leinart had been barred by USC from participating in media activities until after Christmas.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Where does it say he is "ineligible for month"??

USC declared Leinart ineligible this month after the spot

Translation:

USC made the ineligible declaration during the month of December...That's how it is supposed to read. It's worded weird, but trust me, he wasn't declared ineligible for a month, otherwise it would say "ineligible for this month", or "ineligible for the month of December".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I, for one, laud the NCAA for their policy. If it's one thing I can't stand it's the utilization of everyone and everything for some commercial purpose. Why must everything in the media be tied to some promotional gimmick or product placement? I am sick and tired of it and certainly happy that the NCAA is attempting to keep its student-athletes away from this practice.

On a related subject, I feel that Kraft Deli Deluxe American Singles is without a doubt the finest American cheese available today.

What will be a bitch is if he si inellegable for teh Rose Bowl man taht would be greta USC would lose and everyone would hate the NCAA

Did you see the part in the original post that said, "but the USC quarterback had his eligibility restored Tuesday..." that kinda ruins your scenario.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If this was anyone else but USC in the Pac 10, there would be no appeal or consideration given.

Claiming, "It slipped by" is not valid... and USC should be on two year bowl ban for it..

:P

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

What will be a bitch is if he si inellegable for teh Rose Bowl man taht would be greta USC would lose and everyone would hate the NCAA

Inglés, por favor :P

Seriously, some of these NCAA rules are just stupid. I mean, I heard that Georgia fans couldn't pay for a military family of a Boise State football player because they would be Boise state boosters. Boosters, my :censored: ! It was just fans trying to do something nice for a member of the military, but thanks to Myles Brand and the "Numbskulls of Collegiate Athletics" Association, Georgia fans couldn't do it.

espnsig.gif

Brian Bosworth when he was suspended for roids in 1987 wore a T-Shirt at the Orange Bowl that sid National Communist Against Athleetes it still holds true.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If this was anyone else but USC in the Pac 10, there would be no appeal or consideration given.

Claiming, "It slipped by" is not valid... and USC should be on two year bowl ban for it..

:P

Amen to that. Pac-10 (minus SC) gets no respect. Just look at the bowl Oregon is playing in <_<

PopHeading-1.gif

I would just like to thank the NCAA for not suspending Leinart, leaving the Rose Bowl as the greatest game of this century.

Of course you want Leinart off the hook, if he wasn't in the Rose Bowl you'd have a lot of words to eat.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Wasn't the Tide involved with a booster basically paying a high school coach to get a player and they still didn't get the death penalty. Not saying the didn't get hurt, but the NCAA ain't ever gonna shut anyone down for football.

Last and I think only team to have it happen (SMU) has never recovered and giving the death penalty to any school in football would probably kill the athletic dept as a whole.

The sad thing with the NCAA is that it is overregulated. Things like steriods, boosters giving money, I understand but everyone is worried about someone else getting the upperhand esp. with recruiting that they keep on making rules.

Only thing is, it wasn't the UA that paid the recruit. It was a booster. Totally different story there. I'm surprised we didn't get the death penalty considering Miles and his goons hate Alabama. There's a reason its called the National Coalition Against Alabama ya know.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Only thing is, it wasn't the UA that paid the recruit. It was a booster. Totally different story there. I'm surprised we didn't get the death penalty considering Miles and his goons hate Alabama. There's a reason its called the National Coalition Against Alabama ya know.

It's my understanding that schools are responsible for the actions of their boosters, no? If that's the case, then it makes no difference if it was a booster or the school itself.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived