Ronnie Browns Visor

lilgump

I saw highlights like a week ago of Ronnie Brown and he was sporting a new multicolored visor seen here.

bcb05ronniebrown1.jpg

Now I thought that you could only have clear or tinted dark visors, and those tinted ones had to be with a doctors prescription. I know Koren Robinson has like an Amber visor, but I thought that these rainbow colored ones werent allowed, or are they?

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

looks like the original rule was set in 1998:

Tinted visors are banned from players' facemasks except for medical need.

found this from a Johnathan Rand page, dated 1999:

The NFL this year banned helmet visors unless prescribed by a physician. Players wearing them resemble Darth Vader.

"They tend to depersonalize the game," Hunt said.

"More than anything, it's for photographs and TV. All you can see is the black visor. You can't even see the person's eyes. It's distracting."

Arizona Cardinals tackle Lomas Brown, without permission, wore a tinted visor last month in St. Louis and was sent off the field in the first quarter. He had to show referee Bernie Kukar a note from team doctor Wayne Kuhl, confirming the visor was to protect Brown's eyes.

"I couldn't believe I had to get a note from the doctor," Brown said.

also in NFL Digest of Rules:

Suspension From Game For One Down

1. Illegal equipment. (Player may return after one down when legally equipped.)

maybe he needs it so he goes less blind... oh wait that's the other eye "prescription" for the other RB there in MIA. (i had to sneak in a Simpsons/Ricky Williams ref)

also found this interesting read on helmets... http://www.riddell.com/history.htm

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I think players should visors if they want. In fact I think they all look badass especially if ray lewis was in his all black uniform and black visor ugh...that scary.

Ray Lewis doesn't need a black visor to be scary, or scary looking.

He'd be scary in a pink tutu. Perhaps more scary - he'd look unstable and hit like a Mack truck.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

players should be allowed to wear them. my theory is that if allowed most players wouldn't chose to wear them anyway because many players want to be recognized. It helps their stock/popularity because fans become more attached to them because it does allow people to see their emotions which leads to more national coverage and potentially bigger deals.

players should be allowed to wear them. my theory is that if allowed most players wouldn't chose to wear them anyway because many players want to be recognized. It helps their stock/popularity because fans become more attached to them because it does allow people to see their emotions which leads to more national coverage and potentially bigger deals.

I strongly disagree, visors are more popular now than they ever have been-just look at college. Practicly half the players wear them now, including pretty much every Miami RB and defensive player. Personally I think it does depersonalize the game, and I know that the players do it now just to look cool-I mean how many cornerbacks have to worry about getting their eyes gouged out in a pile? But now that everyone's wearing them they've really gotten old, and I think it looks way more badass to see the player's eyes.

Just curious, but who was the first player in the NFL to wear a visor?

I'm not sure on this, but I'd have to say Jim McMahon, Randall Cunningham and Bo Jackson were some of the first if not the first. McMahon had to wear one because of his bad eye, which he poked out with a fork as a kid. This is why he always wears sunglasses everywhere now. I can just hear the Super Bowl Shuffle now... :D

Michael Cofer (not to be confused with Mike Cofer, the former 49ers kicker) was one of the first guys I ever saw wear a tinted visor. He was an LB for the Detroit Lions in the late 80's/early 90's.

Jim McMahon started wearing his visor after he left Chicago, most notably in San Diego where it was so bright outdoors, and he continued to wear it in Philadelphia at the end of his career.

I think the visors are fine. Orlando Brown could've used one before that stupid ref threw a penalty flag and hit him in the eye a few years ago.

mainescarf.png

Archived