BUFFALO BILLS 2006

ASU

Marv Levy is back (why? I don't know either), and something tells me the Bills won't be trotting out navy anymore. Just a hunch.

I had the same hunch when I heard Marv was coming back. I'm guessing that they might go back to the Super Bowl era uniforms but utilizing the navy blue instead of the lighter shade they used back then. I'd also like for them to take the nickel stripes off the helmet and use a navy facemask rather than the white ones.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best case is the Bills go to a modified 60s look like the Chargers have done with their "throwbacks". If you notice, the Chargers powder blues are similar but not exactly like their 60s unis. The Bills could do the same, clean up the look a little, and it would be perfect.

As for the uniforms not making a team play better, it's just not true. Case after case has been made, much more than pure luck would dictate. Take Seattle for instance:

Mariners change from their horrible softball unis in the early 90s and from 95-2002 they are one of the top teams in baseball.

Sonics change to the green, gold, and brick in the early 90s and the team becomes one of the tops in the NBA and gets to the finals in 96

Seahawks change in the early 2000s and now they are on the verge of a Super Bowl birth.

Best case is the Bills go to a modified 60s look like the Chargers have done with their "throwbacks". If you notice, the Chargers powder blues are similar but not exactly like their 60s unis. The Bills could do the same, clean up the look a little, and it would be perfect.

As for the uniforms not making a team play better, it's just not true. Case after case has been made, much more than pure luck would dictate. Take Seattle for instance:

Mariners change from their horrible softball unis in the early 90s and from 95-2002 they are one of the top teams in baseball.

Sonics change to the green, gold, and brick in the early 90s and the team becomes one of the tops in the NBA and gets to the finals in 96

Seahawks change in the early 2000s and now they are on the verge of a Super Bowl birth.

Texas Rangers changed a few years ago and...

Devil Rays switched from the hideous gradiants and...

Pistons wore those horse unis and...

The Rams modified their look and...

(Then you have the Jets/Broncos/Pistons/Bengals/Eagles examples)

What I'm trying to prove is, while they essentially have created and maintained this forum, uniforms have nothing to do with how the team plays.

Jerry Jones could buy the Yankees and still fluff them up the way he did the Cowboys.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Levy will probably bring back the same uniforms or something similar from when he coached the team.

One can only hope...even my friend, who's a Bills fan, HATES the navy blue look and actually prefers the 90s Bills jerseys. Needless to say, he's also happy about Levy coming back.

IMO, they need to just pick a shade of blue and go with it. The 90's Super Bowl look wouldn't look bad with navy...or just going back to the royal blue would be good. The trouble now is that they've tried to cram two clashing shades of blue, plus that "buffalo nickel" gray into their scheme...and it's a trainwreck.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Agreed. I also feel the same way about the Mets - I hate updates that simply build on to existing looks. You get a mess.

Either keep the old look, or switch to a new look. Don't try to wear both on the same uniform.

I kind of agree with you, to an extent. Baseball teams especially tend to radically overhaul uniforms when they make a change (White Sox's various changes, Astros of late, Brewers, Padres, etc.) I'm not sure exactly why that is. In the NFL of the past ten years, only the Broncos have made a radical depature from their original uniforms. The Cardinals, Falcons, Rams, Eagles, and yes, the Bills, all stayed kind of similar to what they already had.

The Bills, and probably the Buffalo market, are just one of those teams that won't look good all flashy and ridiculous. I'd hate to be in charge of redesigning their look -- way too much pressure to get it right, and it's impossibly for everyone to be happy at this point.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm not really talking about redesigns in general, only redesigns that try and incorporate the original color/logo/whatever.

The Mets didn't change their jersey or cap, they just kept adding new ones until they have a whole closet's worth of choices come game day. The Bills didn't change the team colors, they just added about twelve new ones to the mix.

Everyone keep in mind that the NFL requires at least a year or two notice on uniform/logo changes. That, combined with the fact that the Bills just went through an overhaul a couple of years ago, means that I would expect them to remain the same at least or 2006, if not 2007.

My preference, as a long-suffering Bills fan (see masochistic login name), would be to keep Navy as dominant color, with Red and Royal as secondary. Ditch the nickel altogether.

I might try do design my idea, but basically it would be this:

Helmet: Red with this stripe pattern--thin white, thin navy, thick royal, thin navy, thin white.

Helmet logo: Current logo but with Navy buffalo and Royal streak. outline in white.

Dark jersey: Navy jersey, same red side panel, same white-navy sleeve stripes.

Numbers: White with Royal then Red outlines.

No other trim.

White jersey: Red side panel, Sleeve stripes = thin navy, thick royal.

No yoke, no other trim. Numbers are Royal with Navy then red trim.

White pants (for Dark jersey): Red stripe in same width as jersey panel.

No other stripes.

Dark Pants (for White jersey): Navy pants with red stripe same width as jersey

panel. No other stripes.

Socks: Navy socks with thin Royal then Red stipe at bottom of color block.

This keeps a lot of the new features but without the zany incoherence of the elements. The red stripe from the jersey aligns with the pants, which is key to the "bronco's look" and you could interchange the pants without it throwing off the whole look.

Everyone keep in mind that the NFL requires at least a year or two notice on uniform/logo changes. That, combined with the fact that the Bills just went through an overhaul a couple of years ago, means that I would expect them to remain the same at least or 2006, if not 2007.

But could they petition the NFL to wear the throwbacks for all their home games next season?

Everyone keep in mind that the NFL requires at least a year or two notice on uniform/logo changes.  That, combined with the fact that the Bills just went through an overhaul a couple of years ago, means that I would expect them to remain the same at least or 2006, if not 2007.

But could they petition the NFL to wear the throwbacks for all their home games next season?

Furthermore, has the NFL ever granted an exception to that rule? And -- I should know this -- does MLB have the same rule?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This whole thread just brought to light something I never even thought of before, for whatever reason:

Outside of two thin stripes on their helmet, nickel appears nowhere on the Bills' unis.

Now I've got another reason to despise these mishmashed atrocities.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This whole thread just brought to light something I never even thought of before, for whatever reason:

Outside of two thin stripes on their helmet, nickel appears nowhere on the Bills' unis.

Now I've got another reason to despise these mishmashed atrocities.

No, there is Nickel in the outer trim of the numbers on the Dark Navy jerseys, and on the outside of the stripes on the Dark Navy pants:

BuffaloBills_UN_2002-9999_SOL.jpg

Still, it doesn't excuse the mess...

94(?) 49ers played in their throwbacks most of the season including the Super Bowl vs. the Chargers. Don't know if they were granted permission or just did it and paid the fine.

If I were the owner, I'd pay the fine just to have my team look like a pro football team rather than take the field with a mismatched look that resembles a high school/college football team. With that being said, that does not solve the road uni ensemble (which, in the meantime, I would keep the white jersey/white pants look)

Archived