BUFFALO BILLS 2006

ASU

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
94(?) 49ers played in their throwbacks most of the season including the Super Bowl vs. the Chargers. Don't know if they were granted permission or just did it and paid the fine.

The 1994 throwbacks were worn to honor of the NFL's 75th anniversary. All teams were mandated to wear throwbacks at least twice and were encouraged to wear them more often. It wasn't until later, when you had teams coming out with throwbacks and alts at the same time that the NFL started limiting it to two times per season. The one exception I can think of was the Redskins' 70th anniversary uniforms, for which they got special permission ahead of time from the league to wear more often.

The one exception I can think of was the Redskins' 70th anniversary uniforms, for which they got special permission ahead of time from the league to wear more often.

Of course, officially they weren't alts, but the 2002 home uniform.

What's a little strange, in relation to the Redskins' anniversary unis, in that they are STILL listed as throwback uniforms. Meaning, they could still bust them out any time (minus the anniversary patch of course)...

Even though, of course, that uniform set was never worn by the Redskins prior to its unveiling as a "throwback."

The only thing legitimately retro is the helmet. Don't get me wrong, though; I think it looked absolutely kick-arse and wish they'd bring it back along with a road set.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

94(?) 49ers played in their throwbacks most of the season including the Super Bowl vs. the Chargers. Don't know if they were granted permission or just did it and paid the fine.

The 1994 throwbacks were worn to honor of the NFL's 75th anniversary. All teams were mandated to wear throwbacks at least twice and were encouraged to wear them more often. It wasn't until later, when you had teams coming out with throwbacks and alts at the same time that the NFL started limiting it to two times per season. The one exception I can think of was the Redskins' 70th anniversary uniforms, for which they got special permission ahead of time from the league to wear more often.

Are you sure? I remember there being quite an outcry in San Diego as they wanted to wear their powder blues more but were not allowed to. Then, they play the 49ers (wearing their throwbacks) in the Super Bowl and it added insult to injury.

I remember the thinking in San Diego back then was that the 49ers had an owner that actually fought for his team wearing what they wanted while the Chargers had an owner who rolled over for the NFL.

Are you sure? I remember there being quite an outcry in San Diego as they wanted to wear their powder blues more but were not allowed to. Then, they play the 49ers (wearing their throwbacks) in the Super Bowl and it added insult to injury.

I remember the thinking in San Diego back then was that the 49ers had an owner that actually fought for his team wearing what they wanted while the Chargers had an owner who rolled over for the NFL.

Maybe somebody can answer this more definitively, but I have always heard that Chargers owner Alex Spanos detests the powder blues, which is why they remain an alt and not the standard uniform. It has been fan support (and the marketing $$ associated with it) that keeps them around two times a year.

Maybe somebody can answer this more definitively, but I have always heard that Chargers owner Alex Spanos detests the powder blues, which is why they remain an alt and not the standard uniform. It has been fan support (and the marketing $$ associated with it) that keeps them around two times a year.

Yes, that's currect. It was the Chargers owner that prevented them from wearing the powder blues more often in '94. He's also the reason the Bolts havn't adopted some kind of powder blue uni (throwback or update) full time.

Spanos likes navy, and hates royal blue, powder blue and yellow. That's why the yellow has been relegated to an outline colour. The only reason the powder blues are still used as throwback/alts is because the majority of fans perfer them to the bland navy unis they currently wear. Spanos wants to leave his own mark on the franchise, that being the colour navy.

<Thread hijack>I understand the love of the powder blues, but why hate on the navy ones, they are one of the most distincitve in the league with the bolts and truely look nice and came out way before the navy craze anyway. <end thread hijack>

I like my women like i like my coffee, tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

DAJackson7 you said Thread hijack>I understand the love of the powder blues, but why hate on the navy ones, they are one of the most distincitve in the league with the bolts and truely look nice and came out way before the navy craze anyway. <end thread hijack>

I say because the navy pants with navy socks looks retarded. go back to the white striped socks and I don't have a problem with the navy set. The powders are still better IMO

http://www.wincraft.com/Page.cfm?strMenuIt...nSearchActive=0

I think the Bills are going retro full time.

If you copy and paste the link above, you will get a throwback Bills pennant on the Wincraft site. I am an avid pennant collector and I have never seen a throwback pennant for any team in any sport.

I prefer the standing buffalo vs. the bloody buffalo.

WHy would any team want to be represented by a wounded animal.

Matt

Everyone loves a roundel.

If you copy and paste the link above, you will get a throwback Bills pennant on the Wincraft site. I am an avid pennant collector and I have never seen a throwback pennant for any team in any sport.

I wouldnt take that as a fact that they'll change next year, but......i did a search on a coupla other teams, including the chargers (the only other team with a rabid retro following) and there was nothing. the bills actually had a few items with the standing buffalo

I prefer the standing buffalo vs. the bloody buffalo.

WHy would any team want to be represented by a wounded animal.

Matt

Not to burst the bubble, but I have a Patriots throwback pennant in the same exact style as the one shown - bought it in 2004...sorry

Archived