Wisconsin Badger Football Jersey

Mike Felder

And the Big Ten patch was not used on those jerseys.

It's not on my rough mockup, but it sure looks like the Big Ten patch is on the jersey in the black and white photo. I don't know why it would be on the replica - replicas usually have fewer patches than authentics, not more.

We'll see when and if the University is able to provide better photos.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bumpty bump bump.

Well, in the last year we've seen a replica jersey surface on eBay:

967363307_1fa08d389f_o.jpg

And today's Paul Lukas column on Page 2, focusing on one-offs, includes this entry:

1995: On Sept. 2, the Wisconsin football team takes the field wearing a new white-sleeved jersey for the home-opener game against Colorado. When the Badgers lose 43-7, the new jerseys get scapegoated as the source of the team's poor performance, and they're forever banished from Madison.

He also includes this (very rough) mockup I made:

1196092602_6855c46e83_o.png

and this rare (if small) color photo:

COLWIS95.jpg

A guy over on Uniwatch has been in contact with the Wisconsin equipment manager, who promises to help find pics. I'll post them as soon as they surface....

They would look better as road jerseys -- i.e. white body and red sleeves. (Like the Cowboys alt on which this was based.)

Still, when you get embarrassed at home on national TV by 36, you're not likely to keep around reminders of that.

Packers-2.png

actually, I recall it was 95 and they looked sharp ;) but I remember the beatdown CU dished out. too bad, as I'd rather still have the double W's than still look like Nebraska.

I'm sorry, but this is gettin' right up there with the Michigan/Princeton helmet thing for me. It's simply a generic look that both teams have a long history of using.

But yea... I remember this game. Mostly because I turned it off at halftime.

• 1 year later...

The Ws look thrown on as an afterthought. What they SHOULD have done:

Move the Motion Ws to the lower sleeve.

Move the sleeve numbers to the shoulder.

Add New York Jets-style stripes to the shoulders (colored white sleeve, red stripe, white stripe, red jersey), except the stripes should go all the way around, not cut off halfway.

Change the font to the Motion W font that the basketball team uses:

528189.jpg

THAT would make this look fantastic. As it is, it looks thrown together and like patchwork.

The font is called Badger, but if you confuse "Badger" and "Aachen," no one will blame you.

I think swilson160 is on to something. However, as long as a coach who is part of the Alvarez regime is there, they will keep their Nebraska-via-Walmart ripoffs. Only when they start losing more than they win, people start coming to Camp Randall dressed as empty seats (or as Skip Caray used to call them, "partial sellouts" occur) and someone comes in to clean house will Wisconsin ever get an original-looking uniform.

For that matter, a ripoff of the new/old 49ers look (minus the gold, natch) would look better.

Packers-2.png

The Motion font is ugly. Almost as ugly as the logo itself, although it has the advantage of actually being balanced. Rather than spread it, I'd like to see it contained in the hopes that it'll die off on its own.

I think if you got rid of the big goofy Ws, these would actually be pretty cool...

Heck, I think they'd be near-perfect.

FWIW, that 1995 jersey wouldn't be legal anymore - apparently NCAA rules now prohibit colored jerseys from incorporating large amounts of white (thank you, BYU, for screwing everything up with your bibs).

I have been looking for that old BIG TEN logo/patch for such a long time. Does anyone happen to have it?

Being a Buckeyes fan, and a fan of the Big Ten I am mixed about those jerseys. They are a change for what I am used to seeing for Wisconsin, and I kind of like them, probably just because they are so different. But I really like the set they have now, it's simple and classic. But I wouldn't mind seeing those once in awhile.

columbusdestroyersrf6.png

osuzd9.png

I bought that jersey at my first work 14 years ago. All the aspects about the jersey was the same except for these changes; white numbers on the front only with red heat seal inside the number outlining it on the front and back with red sleeve numbers with white heat seal bordering it on the inside. So since I was 18 at the time and very impressionable, my co-worker kept calling them "W"ussy Badgers and I took the numbers off and put them on other blank jerseys, like the old Sens Road and the Ohio Glory Home jerseys

• 3 weeks later...
Reminded me of these hideous things. Perhaps the only jersey logo ever visible from space.

b7.jpg

Those Patriots uniforms ruled, especially the "grass pattern" fabric and grey helmet facemask from '93.

The Patriots never had both the "grass pattern" fabric and the grey facemask at the same time. As you alluded, the only year they had the grey facemask was 1993, but they had a plain blue fabric, no enormous shoulder Elvis, and different numbers then. Here's the look:

01F.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived