Houston MLS is...

Brian in Boston

crew is a great name. it sounds european in the sense that it sounds like a nickname. if they were columbus afc, and referred to as "the crew", itd be even better.

I agree with your last sentence. The problem is that it is NOT a nickname in the sense you describe. It was selected/imposed by MLS, even if it sounds like a nickname in the European sense.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I like the name but I'm not crazy about the logo. Like Sodboy13 said, it looks like an All-Star Game logo. In fact I thought it was. I searched through the thread to find the logo that everyone was commenting on until I looked at the original post again.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

The team needs to get a personality first before a colloquialism is bestowed on them -- Super Hoops, Black-And-Red, Avs, Revs, M's, Iggles, Jints, Stillers, Dem Bums, Da Bombers.

When the Houston Chronicle comes out in the paper with its first few articles, it may accidentally give the team a name -- "the defenders translated to offense like an orange tidal wave towards goal ..." and the supporters may use "orange tide" or "orange wave" for that. A lot of sports nicknames have been suggested by sportswriters and not by marketers -- Rider University Broncs, Princeton Tigers, Boston Beaneaters, Four Horsemen, etc.

If a writer sticks in '36ers, it may stick, in other words. I can't see 1836 being used in the story all that much, since you can't start a sentence with a number (AP style). To wit:

"Houston jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the fourth minute. 1836 held its shape for the eventual counterattack."

That doesn't work. Now, this is better:

"Houston jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the fourth minute. The 36ers held their shape for the eventual counterattack."

Houston 1836

The logo is set to be officially unveiled tomorrow.

hou_lg.jpg

The small figure above the team name is a depiction of the Sam Houston statue in Houston's Hermann Park.

Feeling the colors, not feeling the name. However, it is better than that "Republic" rumored name.

Apollos or Hurricanes would have been better.

Hurricanes would remind people of the scumbag evacuees wreaking havoc on your fair city ...As a New Orleanian that lived and WORKED there for 7 weeks and was treated royally by the wonderful people of the Bayou City,I am embarrased by these idiots...Apollos would have been cools , with retro-style unies and 70's color schemes....1836 isnt bad , though..

To be fair, the Hurricane were the old NASL team here.

hurricane_retroorange.gif

"A three-year member of the NASL (1978-80), the Hurricane rebounded from a last place finish in 1978 to go 22-8 and win a division title the following season."

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the evacuees sentiment.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Houston 1836

The logo is set to be officially unveiled tomorrow.

hou_lg.jpg

The small figure above the team name is a depiction of the Sam Houston statue in Houston's Hermann Park.

Feeling the colors, not feeling the name. However, it is better than that "Republic" rumored name.

Apollos or Hurricanes would have been better.

Hurricanes would remind people of the scumbag evacuees wreaking havoc on your fair city ...As a New Orleanian that lived and WORKED there for 7 weeks and was treated royally by the wonderful people of the Bayou City,I am embarrased by these idiots...Apollos would have been cools , with retro-style unies and 70's color schemes....1836 isnt bad , though..

To be fair, the Hurricane were the old NASL team here.

hurricane_retroorange.gif

"A three-year member of the NASL (1978-80), the Hurricane rebounded from a last place finish in 1978 to go 22-8 and win a division title the following season."

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the evacuees sentiment.

You can't forget what they used to be called:

San Jose Earthquakes

Houston's sentiment is admirable, but misplaced.  German teams name themselves after when the team or sports club was formed, not when the city was founded.  Houston's name makes no sense.
I don't see why anyone would say this. Numbers in US sports names refer to historical events. Numbers in German (and Scandinavian club names) refer to club foundation.

Enlighten me. What's an example of a professional team nickname in the U.S. that's based on the year of the founding of the city?

I can only think of two pro teams with numbers as there nickname: the 49ers and the 76ers. The first is named after miners, not a date, and the second honors one of the most famous events in U.S. history (the signing of Declaration of Independence). Also, both teams have the "ers" suffix, which totally changes the meaning of the word from a date to a person.

Houston's sentiment is admirable, but misplaced.  German teams name themselves after when the team or sports club was formed, not when the city was founded.  Houston's name makes no sense.
I don't see why anyone would say this. Numbers in US sports names refer to historical events. Numbers in German (and Scandinavian club names) refer to club foundation.

Enlighten me. What's an example of a professional team nickname in the U.S. that's based on the year of the founding of the city?

I can only think of two pro teams with numbers as there nickname: the 49ers and the 76ers. The first is named after miners, not a date, and the second honors one of the most famous events in U.S. history (the signing of Declaration of Independence). Also, both teams have the "ers" suffix, which totally changes the meaning of the word from a date to a person.

I assume that the old Oklahoma City 89ers of the American Association is a reference to the 1889 land rush.

The city also happened to be founded that year during the rush, so there is your example.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think you've missed the point. jl never said that there were other teams named with a number based on city foundation.

Also, "49ers" refers to the gold rush of 1849, the nickname for the miners (and eventually the team) was taken from the year. While you could arge that the 49ers are named for the miners, I can't think of anyone, other than the basketball team, referred to as "76ers," so the idea that the team was named after a pre-existing set of people is a bit stretched.

Also, to go back to something someone else said, it's not likely that the team would be referred to as "1836" in headlines and such, much in the same way that, for example, Schalke is not usually referred to as "04" without the rest of the name attached.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'd concede the point if the team called itself the 36ers. But they didn't. They're Houston 1836, which is not an homage to Oklahoma City or Philadelphia because they don't have the same naming convention. It's an homage to European sports clubs, which use a date in their name to indicate when the club was formed.

Houston is using this European naming convention but ignoring the actual reason these European teams use the dates in their names. In an attempt to be cool, they're just showing their ignorance and, consequently, have created a nonsensical name that does nothing but confuse.

After looking at it and thinking "wtf?" the name's grown on me and I actually like it, I'm curious to see how the uniforms turn out.

On a totally unrelated note, when with the MetroStars get a city? They're not the NY/NJ MetroStars, not the New York MetroStars, not the New Jersey MetroStars, just the MetroStars.

stoneraizersig.jpg

Archived