Houston MLS is...

Brian in Boston

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team badge looks pretty good....

The name's got a bit of a Bundesliga feel to it as well (easy stretch to say they looked at 1860 Munich as the inspiration...for Houston's sake, they'd better hope they don't take after 1860 :lol: )

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I'm not crazy about the name (I'd have preferred Houston Apollos). I see it as another case of Real Salt Lake-like "europosing"... although not as completely moronic as the name of the Utah-based club. I suppose it could grow on me.

That said, I like the logo. Simple... classic. It should stand the test of time. Which was also my opinion of Real Salt Lake's badge. It's ironic that although I'm not blown away by their names, I am of a mind that these two teams got their logos right.

The logo looks nice, though it seems like something designed for an All-Star Game.

As for the name, Houston 1836, as well as any other Euro knockoff, can bite my shiny metal et cetera and so on.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Do we call them the 36ers?

I don't like the trend toward European names. The fact that soccer is so European is one reason why soccer is not popular in America. MLS is an American league and thus they should have American type names. I think MLS is making a mistake by going with these type names.

The fact that soccer is so European is one reason why soccer is not popular in America. MLS is an American league and thus they should have American type names. I think MLS is making a mistake by going with these type names.

Is that really a fact? It seems to be pretty popular right now.

MLS should do whatever they want to do and personally I think it's great that they're adding some european flavour to this league.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The fact that soccer is so European is one reason why soccer is not popular in America. MLS is an American league and thus they should have American type names. I think MLS is making a mistake by going with these type names.

No, it is not a fact. It is more my speculation based on what I have read and heard in the media. I don't have any research or studies to back that up.

However my opinion is that MLS is trying to sell the game in america and thus should have american type games. If you had a team in London in the English Premier League would you name them the London Wolves for example. No you would probably give them a European type name.

MLS should do whatever they want to do and personally I think it's great that they're adding some european flavour to this league.

Really? Popular? I've seen more poker, billiard, spelling bees and scrabble games on ESPN this year than I saw soccer matches. They don't ever cover European or MLS or Latin American soccer club matches on ESPN even though they have soccernet on their website. I've got to pay extra for digital cable to get any soccer coverage outside of mexican league games on spanish-language channels.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Really? Popular? I've seen more poker, billiard, spelling bees and scrabble games on ESPN this year than I saw soccer matches. They don't ever cover European or MLS or Latin American soccer club matches on ESPN even though they have soccernet on their website. I've got to pay extra for digital cable to get any soccer coverage outside of mexican league games on spanish-language channels.

The MLS is on ABC to get more people to watch.

And as far as ESPN and soccer go, they show FIFA matches as opposed to showing a specific league's matches. And when it comes to the World Cup, you'll see ESPN also playing games as well.

But you are right, there are more poker shows than soccer on ESPN, because that's where the broad appeal is.

Really? Popular? I've seen more poker, billiard, spelling bees and scrabble games on ESPN this year than I saw soccer matches.

How many soccer matches are there per year compared to poker, billiard and spelling bees?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Soccer teams in America should appeal to their market. Is that americans who dont like or follow European soccer? I think no. I think their market is guys like me.. former players, who grew up with the game, loving it, but whom casually follow the european leagues, miss most of the games on TV, and wish we had something to latch onto more local with more coverage.

Myself, I think being the 1836 is alright. Real Salt Leake is stupid as all hell.

As an American, i enojy saying, "I am a Thrasher's fan." How do I say that for houston or Utah's soccer teams? "I'm a Ree ahl fan? I mean, the Salt Lake one."

Dumb. Get real names, if you want to get more popular. Like i said, 1836 is ok, i guess.

I like traditional shields with soccer balls, and area history referenced, but the names are forced European, and thats a mistake.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

MLS is an American league and thus they should have American type names.

Problem is, they blew it by choosing some of the worst "American type names" around.

"Foreign style names" are an improvement for most of them. I'll take 'FC Dallas' over 'Dallas Burn' any day.

Really? Popular? I've seen more poker, billiard, spelling bees and scrabble games on ESPN this year than I saw soccer matches.

How many soccer matches are there per year compared to poker, billiard and spelling bees?

In the poster's defense, the World Series of Poker went from a one-time thing to nearly a 20 episode series.

I think it's more fake for a soccer league -- American or not -- to try to adapt to American sports league identities than adopt European ones.

For me, admittedly a relatively new soccer fan, a team like the Colorado Rapids seems misplaced in the world of soccer.

Anyway, I love the badge and don't mind the name. I'm in agreement with Paynomind that Houston 1836 makes a lot more sense than Real Salt Lake.

That Houston badge is great. And I love the colors

The MLS is just being the Great American Melting Pot that America just is.

It takes aspects of the European game and South American game and it puts it into the American sports landscape. It crafts its own identity and works from there.

Besides, if we want to talk crazy, let's all pause and take note of J-League soccer.

American MLS is to the Miami Fusion as J-League soccer is to the Kashima Antlers.

Houston 1836

The logo is set to be officially unveiled tomorrow.

hou_lg.jpg

The small figure above the team name is a depiction of the Sam Houston statue in Houston's Hermann Park.

Feeling the colors, not feeling the name. However, it is better than that "Republic" rumored name.

Apollos or Hurricanes would have been better.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

MLS is an American league and thus they should have American type names.

Problem is, they blew it by choosing some of the worst "American type names" around.

"Foreign style names" are an improvement for most of them. I'll take 'FC Dallas' over 'Dallas Burn' any day.

AMEN!!! :notworthy: And you didn't even mention Wiz, Clash, Crew, Mutiny or Fusion. (Now, where IS that "puke" smilie? Oh, yeah -- here it is.) :puke:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived