NFL Network Will Carry Eight Prime-Time Games

jkrdevil

Well, it looks like the Thursday Saturday NFL package will be on the NFL network. There was talks with comcast about putting them on OLN which would have given the network a higher profile and really would have helped the NHL. However with Comcast losing out on the deal the NHL agreement is now officially a disaster and the NHL should look for a way out as soon as possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/28/sports/football/28nfl.html

Well that kinda el-stinko's since its a good amount of money to subscribe to the NFL network, I loved watching it when they had the free preview for like 2 months, then we didnt get it anymore and I was sad. Good to hear that they will be simulcast on local stations still.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

This is pathetic. Ya know it was risky to put the NFL on basic cable, now it's majorly risky to put games on in digital cable. That's rough. Why on there? Why not get NBC to do it? Or ESPN for that matter. They did it all the time.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

This is pathetic. Ya know it was risky to put the NFL on basic cable, now it's majorly risky to put games on in digital cable. That's rough. Why on there? Why not get NBC to do it? Or ESPN for that matter. They did it all the time.

I think the linked article explains it pretty well.

Basically, putting regular season prime-time NFL games on their own NFL Network could do three things: it should convince cable providers that don't carry the network to pick it up, it gives football fans more reason to subscribe, and demand could increase so the NFL can charge more for it.

The NFL is hoping to turn the NFL Network into a more valuable asset that can become successful while the league still rakes in the millions they get from the NBC and ESPN deals.

For consumers of basic cable, like myself, this sucks. I, too, am one who only watched the NFL Network on a free trial. I've got no intention of subscribing to watch just a few primetime games.

From a fan standpoint, it's great. More football! :woot:

From a business standpoint, I don't like this. ESPN, Fox, and NBC paid a lot of money for the NFL television rights. If I were one of the suits at those networks, I would seriously consider taking some sort of action.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, for 1 thing I think you will see the NFL network on basic cable next year. That is part of the plan if the NFL network has regular season games it puts it to where cable companies are pretty much forced to put it on basic cable or they will lose customers to directv which has it as part of it's basic programing.

That was the reason why Comcast tried to get the package. The NFL along with the NHL would have made OLN a basic cable channel.

I'm not really a big fan of this. I have the NFL Network with DirecTV, so its no big deal for me. However I don't like how they are taking away the Thanksgiving game from people who don't have it.

Also, I thought this was would be cool. However after reading the article I don't think its any different. I was under the impression that there would be more Thursday and Saturday night games. However, it looks like there are the same amount as past seasons. The only differnece is that less people will be able to watch it.

I like the idea, just one serious probelm...I live in San Antonio, so they're going to deny the rest of Texas a free Thanksgiving game, especially a Cowboys/Redskins game?

I think when a regular season games airs in market on cable ie ESPN the NFL has that market and the visiting team's market have their game similucated on Free TV.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I like the idea, just one serious probelm...I live in San Antonio, so they're going to deny the rest of Texas a free Thanksgiving game, especially a Cowboys/Redskins game?

I'm guessing the Cowboys Thanksigiving game will be on local broadcasting stations in Texas. Then again, it says "local markets" - but I would assume most of Texas falls into the Cowboys' "local market". I dunno.

Wow Saturday Night Football Cant wait

I guess you've missed the past couple of years when there has been Saturday night football as well.

From a business standpoint, I don't like this. ESPN, Fox, and NBC paid a lot of money for the NFL television rights. If I were one of the suits at those networks, I would seriously consider taking some sort of action.

The networks will recoup their money by charging higher ad costs, or inserting more commercials. Somehow I'm sure they have a solution for this loss of approx. 4 games per broadcast network.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This was the game plan for the NFL Network from the beginning.

Airing regular season games on 'NFLN' makes it easier for them to sell it to cable companies and so forth, either as part of a basic package or even on a tier if they want.

The Thursday/Saturday package will get people to call the cable companies, which will result in more subscribers for the network. And that's the bottom line.

nav-logo.png

They did - they signed new TV deals with the NFL that specifically allowed them to do this if they wanted. Fox, ESPN, and NBC each have already said, "no problem."

nav-logo.png

I'm going to assume that the rules for free TV of NFL Network games will be the same as for games on ESPN - home markets only. In short, if you got a free TV game if your local team was on ESPN, you'll get it if its on NFL Network.

Of course, the quality of the announcing will be questionable. It's bad enough with the network apologists; can you imagine how bad they're going to be if they get their checks signed by Tagliabue himself? Forget controversy - or even any argument about controversial plays.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I'm going to assume that the rules for free TV of NFL Network games will be the same as for games on ESPN - home markets only. In short, if you got a free TV game if your local team was on ESPN, you'll get it if its on NFL Network.

Of course, the quality of the announcing will be questionable. It's bad enough with the network apologists; can you imagine how bad they're going to be if they get their checks signed by Tagliabue himself? Forget controversy - or even any argument about controversial plays.

You don't think the NFL already controls who the announcers are? It will make no difference.

Archived