Change next year? Review of each team (NFL)

mediocreguy

Every year at the end of the season I've gone down the list of NFL teams and tried to figure out who would change logos/unis the next year. This is the first time I've known about this board, so I thought maybe I'd post my suggestions.

I'll probably be flamed over it..but I think it's a fun game..nothing serious.

Note that this isn't what I think would be BEST, just what I think may or may not happen. I also may have missed important rumors regarding these teams.. if I have, just kindly say something so I'm more informed.

And remember, it's just for fun!

I ranked each team on how probable they are of doing any sort of adjustment (even if it's just striped or a different set of pants or whatever (that's why Chicago is a Low and not a 'None'). Most teams that got "None" probably just changed recently, or sell so many items now that their brand would be hurt by a change (like the Raiders).

Bills - Chance: Medium -- (Rumors of Throwbacks becoming fulltime?)

Dolphins - Chance: Low -- (Maybe a few stripe or alternate adjustments, but nothing big.)

Pats - Chance : None -- (Just changed.)

Jets - Chance : Low -- (I think they might in a few years..but this year I think they stay the same.)

Ravens - Chance : Low -- (Though I could be wrong, this team likes to change all the time, it seems.)

Bengals - Chance : None -- (Just changed)

Browns - Chance : Medium (I'd see more of a policy change and using the brown home unis AT home instead of white all the time. They need something to boost profile)

Steelers - Chance : None (The brand sells like hotcakes how it is..and with a Super Bowl possibly in the future, the marketing for the current look will go through the roof)

Texans - Chance : None (Still trying to establish identity, a change would only hurt that)

Colts - Chance : Low (Possibly a pant-change..but I don't see anything else coming from one of the classiest looks in football)

Jags - Chance : Medium (Team looking for more of an identity in a strong division and conference? Jags may do this to bolster sales and attention)

Titans - Chance : Low (They've been doing enough fiddling with it in recent years (I have trouble remembering which is the home and which is the alternate anymore)

Broncos - Chance : Low (My team. Heh. Would love to see em use the orange alts more if anything)

Chiefs - Chance : Medium (I know there's history..but I could see KC as being the latest team to offend it's fanbase with something gaudy)

Raiders - Chance : None (They sell too much and have too strong a history to change it at the present. Plus, Al Davis is a dick. That has nothing to do with uni changes. He's just a dick :P )

Chargers - Chance : High (Powder-Blues sell more than regulars, I think, plus, everyone likes them)

NFC

Cowboys - Chance : Medium (Gut feeling again..maybe they'll add like..a sixth blue or something)

GIants - Chance : None (Recently tooled with it last year)

Eagles - Chance : Low (As long as they stay away from the gaudy black unis)

Redskins - Chance : Medium (I'd love to see them with the FSU style unis again.. plus now that fans are picking up on them again...I see Dan Snyder trying to fleece them at the team stores)

Bears - Chance : None (If they moved one stripe it'd be news all over the place)

Lions - Chance : Low (No, they're done screwing themselves for now)

Green Bay - Chance : None (Losing Brett Favre and then changing the look all at once would send Wisconsin into a collective seizure)

Minnesota - Chance : High (I'd say look for a darker/metallic purple and real gold (not yellow). Seems to live up to the recent trend of making teams darker. Also makes them basically just look like Ravens :\ )

Falcons - Chance : None (Too recent to change again)

Carolina - Chance : Medium (I'd say a small revamp, getting rid of the stripes up top or stylizing the numbers seems like something that will capitalize off the team's recent success)

New Orleans - Chance : High (With all they've gone through, I see the team wanting to shed it's image and get fans to buy new stuff -or- Benson's plan to move the team will start by dropping the team identity and putting a new one in)

Tampa Bay - Chance : Low (I think Pewter/Red is still a great combo that will last a long time)

Arizona - Chance : None (They just changed last year)

St. Louis - Chance : Low (Keeping the look now makes others (and fans) remember the Greatest Show on Turf. Changing it would only hurt the team)

San Fran - Chance : Low (Coming off a tough season and having historically demanding fans would make you think they might try for an overhaul to signal a new beginning..but the city of San Fran would lynch them if they did)

Seattle - Chance : None (Changed recently, and with Super Bowl possibitlity, I think every fan in the Pacific Northwest will be grabbing all the BlueTeal and OHGODITHURTS green they can get)

In summary, I think, out of the Chargers, Vikings, and Saints, which I have rated high, one or two of them will do the full change, and that 2 or 3 of the other teams may do some slight changes.

Would love to see the Chargers do a permanent change but it's been well documented that owner Alex Spanos hates them and only keeps them around since they are the top sellers in the market. That being said, I'd doubt we'd see a lot of the powder blue in 2006.

As for the Steelers... if they loose on Sunday, it would be a perfect chance for them to return to the glory days and block numbers. At the very least, loose the italics.

I would like to see the Broncos go with the old Orange Crush unis for their alternate. It would be similar to how the Chargers have it set up. I really can't stand the alternate orange they have now. Considering that they didn't wear it once this season, perhaps change is on the way. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I would like to see the Broncos go with the old Orange Crush unis for their alternate.  It would be similar to how the Chargers have it set up.  I really can't stand the alternate orange they have now.  Considering that they didn't wear it once this season, perhaps change is on the way.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

While I am completely in favor of that idea (as well as the Patriots wearing their old Pat Patriot unis as their alternate), it has been explained to me that it's just easier, and less expensive, to have teams like the Broncos wear their orange alternates rather than the orange crush jerseys/unis. With the alternates, the only thing different is the jersey. With the throwback-alternate, you have to have the pants, socks, helmets, etc.

In other words, it's more expensive to wear throwbacks like the Chargers.

In the NFL, they wipe their asses with the kind of money it would take to outfit a team in an fully retro-alternate. I don't think that the money is a huge issue.

I would like to see the NFL make Thanksgiving weekend a fully thrownback weekend. I know for some teams it wouldnt be appropriate, but for the vast majority, I think it would be really cool.

I'm curious....how long does it take to make a list like this. From thought to actually producing it? I have a hard enough time posting things on this board, just because of work and school. I just want to know where you find the time? Just curious?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

With Levy at the helm in Buffalo, wouldn't be surprised to see them bust out the royal blue Super Bowl era uniforms as their new full time threads.

I don't think that the Bills would just go back to the '90's unis. As nice as their old uniforms were, I'm not sure how commercially viable they would be these days. More likely, they update that concept. Similar jerseys but with some nickel included (they don't really need the navy). A red alt jersey would be a cool idea, and people around here have designed some that looked awesome.

Steelers should go back to the block style numbers. I hate that slanted crap they've used the last few years.

One thing: if they do this, they ought to change the helmet numbers to a block font, as well. If they just changed the jersey numerals, they'll have the same mismatch that they used to, and that looked kinda odd.

Every year at the end of the season I've gone down the list of NFL teams and tried to figure out who would change logos/unis the next year. This is the first time I've known about this board, so I thought maybe I'd post my suggestions.

I'll probably be flamed over it..but I think it's a fun game..nothing serious.

Note that this isn't what I think would be BEST, just what I think may or may not happen. I also may have missed important rumors regarding these teams.. if I have, just kindly say something so I'm more informed.

And remember, it's just for fun!

I ranked each team on how probable they are of doing any sort of adjustment (even if it's just striped or a different set of pants or whatever (that's why Chicago is a Low and not a 'None'). Most teams that got "None" probably just changed recently, or sell so many items now that their brand would be hurt by a change (like the Raiders).

Bills - Chance: Medium -- (Rumors of Throwbacks becoming fulltime?)

Dolphins - Chance: Low -- (Maybe a few stripe or alternate adjustments, but nothing big.)

Pats - Chance : None -- (Just changed.)

Jets - Chance : Low -- (I think they might in a few years..but this year I think they stay the same.)

Ravens - Chance : Low -- (Though I could be wrong, this team likes to change all the time, it seems.)

Bengals - Chance : None -- (Just changed)

Browns - Chance : Medium (I'd see more of a policy change and using the brown home unis AT home instead of white all the time. They need something to boost profile)

Steelers - Chance : None (The brand sells like hotcakes how it is..and with a Super Bowl possibly in the future, the marketing for the current look will go through the roof)

Texans - Chance : None (Still trying to establish identity, a change would only hurt that)

Colts - Chance : Low (Possibly a pant-change..but I don't see anything else coming from one of the classiest looks in football)

Jags - Chance : Medium (Team looking for more of an identity in a strong division and conference? Jags may do this to bolster sales and attention)

Titans - Chance : Low (They've been doing enough fiddling with it in recent years (I have trouble remembering which is the home and which is the alternate anymore)

Broncos - Chance : Low (My team. Heh. Would love to see em use the orange alts more if anything)

Chiefs - Chance : Medium (I know there's history..but I could see KC as being the latest team to offend it's fanbase with something gaudy)

Raiders - Chance : None (They sell too much and have too strong a history to change it at the present. Plus, Al Davis is a dick. That has nothing to do with uni changes. He's just a dick :P )

Chargers - Chance : High (Powder-Blues sell more than regulars, I think, plus, everyone likes them)

NFC

Cowboys - Chance : Medium (Gut feeling again..maybe they'll add like..a sixth blue or something)

GIants - Chance : None (Recently tooled with it last year)

Eagles - Chance : Low (As long as they stay away from the gaudy black unis)

Redskins - Chance : Medium (I'd love to see them with the FSU style unis again.. plus now that fans are picking up on them again...I see Dan Snyder trying to fleece them at the team stores)

Bears - Chance : None (If they moved one stripe it'd be news all over the place)

Lions - Chance : Low (No, they're done screwing themselves for now)

Green Bay - Chance : None (Losing Brett Favre and then changing the look all at once would send Wisconsin into a collective seizure)

Minnesota - Chance : High (I'd say look for a darker/metallic purple and real gold (not yellow). Seems to live up to the recent trend of making teams darker. Also makes them basically just look like Ravens :\ )

Falcons - Chance : None (Too recent to change again)

Carolina - Chance : Medium (I'd say a small revamp, getting rid of the stripes up top or stylizing the numbers seems like something that will capitalize off the team's recent success)

New Orleans - Chance : High (With all they've gone through, I see the team wanting to shed it's image and get fans to buy new stuff -or- Benson's plan to move the team will start by dropping the team identity and putting a new one in)

Tampa Bay - Chance : Low (I think Pewter/Red is still a great combo that will last a long time)

Arizona - Chance : None (They just changed last year)

St. Louis - Chance : Low (Keeping the look now makes others (and fans) remember the Greatest Show on Turf. Changing it would only hurt the team)

San Fran - Chance : Low (Coming off a tough season and having historically demanding fans would make you think they might try for an overhaul to signal a new beginning..but the city of San Fran would lynch them if they did)

Seattle - Chance : None (Changed recently, and with Super Bowl possibitlity, I think every fan in the Pacific Northwest will be grabbing all the BlueTeal and OHGODITHURTS green they can get)

In summary, I think, out of the Chargers, Vikings, and Saints, which I have rated high, one or two of them will do the full change, and that 2 or 3 of the other teams may do some slight changes.

haha im a proud owner of a seahawks OHGODITHURTS green jersey!

Steelers should go back to the block style numbers.  I hate that slanted crap they've used the last few years.

totally agree!!!

But they use slanted numbers because that's what they always had on their helmets. Either way, I still liked the block better w/ no Steeler logo on the shoulder.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

With Levy at the helm in Buffalo, wouldn't be surprised to see them bust out the royal blue Super Bowl era uniforms as their new full time threads.

Well it probably won't happen in 2006 only because the required time and notification the league needs to authorize a change. Maybe in a couple of years...if they don't go back to the more distant throwback first.

Also DGivens, the Broncos will never wear the pre-1997 jerseys as long as Shanahan is coach. They wore them in 2001 against the Cowboys for Thanksgiving, and Shanny said he hates that look because of the loss against Jacksonville following the 1996 regular season. The best fans can hope for is more orange alternate jerseys.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I have to admit that the window of change has closed. We could have done it in 1994, but we didn't. Much as I would have liked to see it, now we can't even discuss it for another thirty years.

Isn't it already official that the Browns are going to those throwbacks with the closed stripes and gray facemasks full time next year? Or is it just an alternate?

As for other speculation, I have been hearing a lot about Minnesota, and this seems like a classic situation for a team to change, even though it upsets me as I think their unis are top 5 in the League.

I could see the Saints changing, though it seems like they'd wait til they establish a fulltime home.

I wouldn't rule out the Packers following the (fantastic) old school trend, maybe by switching to black kicks, gray masks, sock stripes. What with a new coach and a new era seemingly starting...but that's mostly just wishful thinking.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see at least 2 other teams going to black shoes, since it seems like there's at least 2 new converts every year. Maybe Baltimore, Oakland or Pittsburgh?

I don't think we'll see anything more drastic than that though, come fall.

I wouldn't rule out the Packers following the (fantastic) old school trend, maybe by switching to black kicks, gray masks, sock stripes. What with a new coach and a new era seemingly starting...but that's mostly just wishful thinking.

Hey, just getting rid of the awful 1980s neck stripes would be a start....

Archived