Lions hire Martz

fiasco!

Lions To Name Martz Offensive Coordinator

Mike Fowler - Scout.com

February 1, 2006 at 12:15pm ET

According to a St. Louis radio report, the Detroit Lions will hire former Rams' head coach to become the team's next offensive coordinator. Terms of the deal are still being discussed.

ALLEN PARK - The Detroit Lions will name former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz as their offensive coordinator under new head coach Rod Marinelli.

Martz will sign a one-year deal with an option for about $2 million dollars annually and could carry the additional title of assistant head coach.

Martz will go to work with Marinelli to install a version of the so-called "Greatest Show on Turf" offense that was the league's most prolific offense for a three-year stretch from 1999-to-2001.

Marinelli relied heavily on a recommendation of his close friend Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith, who thinks very highly of Martz. Smith was the defensive coordinator under Martz in St. Louis. Martz fits the profile of a detail oriented 'teacher' that was set by Marinelli.

St. Louis Rams receiver Torry Holt, speaking to WXYT on radio row at the Super Bowl spoke in glowing terms of Martz but warned the offensive players, especially the receivers, that they would be challenged to make a play every down and that Martz is a great teacher who is very detail oriented.

"For this guy, you have to make plays every single down," said Holt. "He'll tear you down and rebuild you to prominence.

"With his presence, you can't just do what you want. You just can't get off-page and do what you want to do because he's seen the best, he's produced the best. I think a lot of the Lions will be very humbled with his presence."

Martz is expected to bring his former running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery in the same capacity and groom him as his successor. The moves leave only the quarterbacks coaching position to still be named by the team.

Former Lions linebackers coach Johnnie Holland was named to the same position with the Buffalo Bills under new head coach Dick Jauron.

good hire, imo

I agree. This is a very good hire for Millen and the Lions considering Martz is better qualified to chard the Lions than the man they just hired. The Lions have the weapons at WR, and if Garcia can stay healthy and Jones can be the back he was in late '04, the Lions have an actual shot at finishing .500 next season.

6uXNWAo.png

Excellent hire by Matt Millen...wait a sec, did I just PRAISE Millen?? :blink: OK, time to go out and see when the comet is due to strike :lol:

Anyways....

Martz is a heck of an OC. This should help the Lions out greatly (that is if they can actually keep a WR healthy for a change and Joey Harrington can FINALLY remove his head from his ass...)

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Not so fast on those Mike Martz-to-Detroit headlines.

This afternoon, Martz told Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch that he will not take the job as the Lions' offensive coordinator under new head coach Rod Marinelli.

The Post-Dispatch and other media outlets reported Wednesday that Martz had accepted the Lions' offer to join the coaching staff, but that contract terms had not been completed.

Martz told Thomas today, "We couldn't come to an agreement on terms. I really do feel bad . . . but we just couldn't get on the same page."

For now, the former head coach of the Rams plans to return to his hometown of San Diego and will sit out next football season.

He recently sold his house in Chesterfield.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...1B?OpenDocument

haha, sorry lions fans.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Congrats, Detroit. You just barely avoided a team chemistry disaster. The last thing your franchise needs is a guy like Martz running the offense under a first time head coach and a GM that's already on very shaky ground. The potential for roiling turmoil from the front office on down would have been precariously high.

FireMattMillen.com is sure to be all over this one! :lol:

Detroit Lions 2006 Season (acording to firemattmillen.com)

September

07?????.@ Houston Texans

14?????.Bemis Junior High School

21?????.@ Cub Scout Pack #101 -Barton Hills

28?????.Detroit Academy for the Blind

October

05?????..AMVETS Local #12

12?????.@Crippled Children?s Home

19?????.@ Appleton Psychiatric Hospital

26?????.Girl Scout Troop # 353 -Bloomfield Hills

November

02??????@ Michigan Venereal Disease Clinic

09?????..Dupree Embroidery & Knitting Society

16?????..@ ITT Technical Institute

23?????. (THANKSGIVING) vs. flock of wild turkeys

December

01??????@ Arizona Cardinals

08??????Cheboygan Boys Choir (Monday Night)

15??????@ Narcalepsy Sufferers of Greater Grand Rapids

15??????Coldwater Women's Correctional Facility

** RULE CHANGES FROM LAST YEAR **

1 - When playing polio patients, the Lions must not disconnect knee braces.

2 - When playing the Blind Academy, the Lions must not hide the football

under their jerseys.

** RULES THE SAME FROM LAST YEAR **

1 - A touchdown (this is when the ball is carried over the goal line for

all you Lion fans that have never seen this) it is still worth 6 points.

2 - The Lions will be allowed 20 men on the field at all times.

3 - The Lions will be allowed to substitute with band members at anytime.

4 - The Lions will be awarded 10 timeouts as opposed to 3 for the opposing

team.

5 - The Lions will be awarded a first down with each gain of three yards or

more, instead of the usual ten yards.

** NAME CHANGE **

The Detroit Lions will be changed to the ?Detroit Tampons? as they are only

good for one period and have no second string.

** COACHING CHANGES **

Mooch?s replacement will be replaced by Monica Lewinsky. She will no doubt

blow a few, but she certainly won?t choke on the big ones!!!

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Congrats, Detroit. You just barely avoided a team chemistry disaster. The last thing your franchise needs is a guy like Martz running the offense under a first time head coach and a GM that's already on very shaky ground. The potential for roiling turmoil from the front office on down would have been precariously high.

Good point. Martz would have felt, and rightly so, that he was the only person qualified for his job.

They should have hired him to be the head coach.

I'm surprised he hasn't gone to Oakland yet.

I've been hearing that Oakland has all but hired the OC from Pittsburgh whose name alludes me at the moment. They just can't hire him because he's obviously still coaching.

6uXNWAo.png

I've been hearing that Oakland has all but hired the OC from Pittsburgh whose name alludes me at the moment. They just can't hire him because he's obviously still coaching.

Heimerdinger I think(haha dinger). Makes no sense to me, Pitt's O is smashmouth down your face running, Davis loves airing it out.

But when has Al Davis made any sense?

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

With the wide reciever crew at detriot you would have thought this would have been a good thing for the lions if it had actually gone through... But of course, theres that QB problem, and OL, and defense.. and front office .

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Heimerdinger I think(haha dinger). Makes no sense to me, Pitt's O is smashmouth down your face running, Davis loves airing it out.

No no... Heimerdinger is the scrub OC that just quit the Jets (thank god) and got on with Denver replacing Kubiak. After doing some research, I found his name is Ken Whisenhunt.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived