Boston College throwbacks

slapshot

Tonight, the Boston College basketball team wore some kind of throwback uniform. I've followed the team since about 1982 or 83, and I don't remember the team wearing these.

The uniforms are gray. "Boston College" is shown in a script similar to the "Cougars" worn by Washington State football in the Apple Cup game vs Washington. The numbers are a standard varsity block, instead of the current BC font. All double-stripes and markings are maroon, although the middle stripe may be a goldish gray, it was hard to tell on TV.

Once I find pictures, I'll post them.

I read about the SEC having a throwback week, and in selected games, but I didn't know if the ACC was following the same trend.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Perfect uniforms for a piece of garbage wanna be school.

I want a Ricky Kuhn or Ernie Cobb BC Throwback hoops jersey from 1979 (the year of the gambling scandal). They're my 2 favorite BC players of all time.

Remember this, Boston Collge is neither in Boston, nor is it a college.

I want a Ricky Kuhn or Ernie Cobb BC Throwback hoops jersey from 1979 (the year of the gambling scandal). They're my 2 favorite BC players of all time.

Remember this, Boston Collge is neither in Boston, nor is it a college.

I smell jealousy.

A "garbage wanna be school" that's #18 right now.

Remember this, Boston College is neither in Boston, nor is it a college.

It is a college. What are you implying? What school do you represent?

BC's campus extends into Brighton, a neighborhood (or borough) annexed into Boston in 1874. So Boston College is in Boston.

And yes, those throwbacks are ugly.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Best guess? He's saying that because BC confers degrees higher than a bachelor's, it is technically a university. However, since the name "Boston University" is already in use, they chose to stay as "Boston College". Many schools have changed from "______ College" to "_____ University" in the past century as more and more graduate programs develop. LaSalle, Villanova, Dartmouth, Monmouth and William Paterson were all colleges that are now universities.

The only other universities I can think of that still refer to themselves as "colleges" are BC, Providence and William & Mary. There may be more.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The only other universities I can think of that still refer to themselves as "colleges" are BC, Providence and William & Mary. There may be more.

Saint Mary's College is another one I can think of.

VmWIn6B.png

Not jealousy at all.  Live in Boston and be an alum of one of the "other" Boston universities, and you'd be in the same mindset.

The University of Chestnut Hill has the biggest front running/bandwagon fans in America.

Agreed.

BC grads love to throw their "BC"ness in people's faces

Q: How do you tell if someone went to BC?

A: You don't. They tell you.

Best guess? He's saying that because BC confers degrees higher than a bachelor's, it is technically a university. However, since the name "Boston University" is already in use, they chose to stay as "Boston College". Many schools have changed from "______ College" to "_____ University" in the past century as more and more graduate programs develop. LaSalle, Villanova, Dartmouth, Monmouth and William Paterson were all colleges that are now universities.

There has been some talk in recent years of Boston College changing their name to "Boston Catholic (University)" as they are a Catholic university. It would also allow them to keep the "BC" moniker. But since they've gained so much attention as Boston College that they decied to keep the name. I would also imagine they don't wish to discourage non-Catholics from attending the school.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

How many Big East Championships did BC win?

Exactly.

I hope this wasn't a shot at BC from a Providence fan. If it was, it can be pointed out that BC has 5 Big East Reg. Season titles, while Providence has 0, and taht BC has 2 Big East tourney titles, while Providence has 1.

The only other universities I can think of that still refer to themselves as "colleges" are BC, Providence and William & Mary.  There may be more.

Saint Mary's College is another one I can think of.

Manhattan College

Iona College

Loyola College in Maryland

Granted, these three are from the smaller ranks of Division I, but they're D-I nonetheless. Below D-I, I am sure you can dig up even more examples.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Not jealousy at all.  Live in Boston and be an alum of one of the "other" Boston universities, and you'd be in the same mindset.

The University of Chestnut Hill has the biggest front running/bandwagon fans in America.

Agreed.

BC grads love to throw their "BC"ness in people's faces

Q: How do you tell if someone went to BC?

A: You don't. They tell you.

HatBoy, good to see we're in agreement. Are you a BU, NU or Harvard Alum?

In Boston, UCH alumni have their own "caste system" based on how many degrees you have from UCH...

Double Eagle - Undergrad and Grad

Triple Eagle - Undergrad, Grad AND went to BC High

Someone asked me who I was rooting for when UCH played Duke in hoops a couple of weeks ago and I said "I'm rooting for structural failure in Conte Forum."

UCH alumni control all forms of media in Boston, so if someone at Northeastern, BU or Harvard act up, it's front page news. If people at UCH do, it's swept under the rug.

UCH is a CATHOLIC school, yet when the church was having all of its problems, its President FATHER Monan, S.J. distanced himself from the Church saying UCH wasn't REALLY an extension of the Catholic Church.

Isn't BC actually a Jesuit school? Like georgetown and Loyola? It has the Jesuit colors. "Jesuit" is of course Catholic, but a decided offshoot from just another Catholic school.

Andif BC controls the media in Bawston, then i'm sawrry but the trust-fund eggheads at Hahvahd aren't trying hahd enough. With thier notoriety they should be controlling everything wicked hahdcore.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Meanwhile, back on topic, . . . pretty blah looking uniforms, but as throwbacks, you have to live with what existed. Does anyone know what year they were originally worn? Also, the center stripes in all the trim appear to be a very pale gold, not grey (see the bottom picture in VandyDelphia Mike's post).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

HatBoy, good to see we're in agreement. Are you a BU, NU or Harvard Alum?

In Boston, UCH alumni have their own "caste system" based on how many degrees you have from UCH...

Double Eagle - Undergrad and Grad

Triple Eagle - Undergrad, Grad AND went to BC High

I went to Xaverian Brothers High School, so I never cared for BC High or its parent corporation, BC.

Andif BC controls the media in Bawston, then i'm sawrry but the trust-fund eggheads at Hahvahd aren't trying hahd enough. With thier notoriety they should be controlling everything wicked hahdcore.

A number of Boston media types went to BC, so they love to rave about BC athletics. Since BC football is the only 1A team in town, they get a lot of press, even during the years when they stink.

Harvard alum are big in the medical and legal field around here.

Two words about UCH, THEY SUCK!

Oh, and by the way, Beacon St. University ain't much better. I also work for a livin', so those white collared, high-filluent types across the Charles aren't that much better!

dodgers-1.png

How many Big East Championships did BC win?

Exactly.

I hope this wasn't a shot at BC from a Providence fan. If it was, it can be pointed out that BC has 5 Big East Reg. Season titles, while Providence has 0, and taht BC has 2 Big East tourney titles, while Providence has 1.

That Providence fan needs to research stuff before he posts. Do you go into a interview in shorts and flip-flops, too?

• LMU locked this topic

Archived