Houston 1836 to change name...

jhans203

This is an effing outrage.

The vast majority of Hispanics in the Houston area either chose to come to Texas (often illegally) or else their parents or grandparents or even more distant relatives did.

They chose to leave Mexico, for reasons we all understand.

Had there been no 1836, there would be no Texas to emigrate to, just another badly governed and poor province of Mexico.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vast majority of Hispanics in the Houston area either chose to come to Texas (often illegally) or else their parents or grandparents or even more distant relatives did.

Had there been no 1836, there would be no Texas to emigrate to, just another badly governed and poor province of Mexico.

Why was this necessary? This reeks of overzealous nationalism that only hurst and never helps.

How do you know where the vast majority of Mexican-Americans come from? Why doesn't the fact that Mexicans were there first mean anything to you?

In the end, you won. Totally and completely. Mexicans hold no power in Houston. And if they do, they choose to show it by changing the name of a professional soccer team. Why let it get to you?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I liked the name. I thought it was different then what you normally see from a team.

I also understand the anger of the Mexican-American population of Houston. To them, they feel upset over something that is sensitive to them. Who would want to support a team who has the date of when Mexico lost the War for Texas? It would be like supporting a team whose nickname is an insult or a nickname that is considered very demeaning to a certain race and/or culture.

WOW, Teams can't even use numbers without making a group mad. All that will be left is using colors as names.

Don't give MLS ideas! They'll go even more retro with the names.

But if they go retro...

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES! :cursing: I hope AEG drops the ball on this.

For the record, San Diego should've had a team... Chivas USA.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Why was this necessary? This reeks of overzealous nationalism that only hurst and never helps.

How do you know where the vast majority of Mexican-Americans come from? Why doesn't the fact that Mexicans were there first mean anything to you?

In the end, you won. Totally and completely. Mexicans hold no power in Houston. And if they do, they choose to show it by changing the name of a professional soccer team. Why let it get to you?

What do you even know about Texas history? It was a revolution not a take over. We didn't round up the Mexicans and put them on a reservation. We fought for our independence from a brutal corrupt government that gave Texians no voice or power. And won. Texians fought side by side with Mexicans in the revolution. Seguin, Texas is named after one of the most famous.

Sadly Cinco De Mayo is more celebrated in Texas now than Texas' Independence. Why can I not take pride in what my fore fathers (I had two great+ grandfathers in Texas in the 1830's) fought for without feeling guilty about hurting someone else's feelings?

Should we tear down the Alamo? Should we tear down the San Jacinto Monument out of "respect" for those they might offend?

Should we tear down the Alamo? Should we tear down the San Jacinto Monument out of "respect" for those they might offend?

Yes, absolutely. Save the tax dollars necessary to keep it open.

Kidding of course. I'll shut my mouth on the topic and defer to the good soccer fans of Houston. I'll never visit the city nor will I watch that soccer team play.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm hearing Houston Lonestar (yes singular).

I never had a beef with the name but now I've got a beef with them changing the name. There are plenty of other names in sports to be far more offended about than 1836.

Let's change the name to the Houston Winfield Scotts.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

And I guess we should change the name of the city while we're at it. Houston is named after Sam Houston of coarse. You know the guy who helped Texas kick the crap out of Mexico back in 1836.

A good point I saw on another board. When the US Soccer team played in Mexico last year, the Mexican fans chanted "Osama! Osama! Osama!". And now we're worried about what they might think about us naming the team 1836? Un-freaking-believable.

I actually liked the name. I know the number didnt make since nationwide, but it would become explained as time went on. I would hate the name Lone Stars or Apollos. It sounds so minor league-ish. but then again, the MLS is the minor league of professional american sports

How can you hate Houston? I mean the people are Texans so they have that going against them but otherwise seems like a pretty good city.

nice way to label a whole bunch of people <_<

Back to the name thing. I think it's our PC world going too far again. The name

was starting to grow on me. The last thing Houston needs is another lame NASA-inspired moniker.

Perfect. You take exception to an entire group of people being stereotyped. You think that that is wrong. You think there are many varied different cultural, historical, and social aspects to Texas and that this person unfairly painted them with a broad brush. You took exception to that oversimplification, and responded "nice way to label a whole bunch of people."

Okay, and how are you not showing the signs of political correctness that you feel has gone "too far"?

And about the whole 1836 thing, Jeez louise...I'm sorry that Mexicans living in Texas might be offended that their ancestors were living in Houston before migrating Europeans realized they wanted the land for themelves.

A little perspective goes a long way.

You lost me somewhere dsgitlin...

I do take offense to someone labeling anyone from any state with a 'broad brush' or an off-the-cuff smartass comment. It happened to be our turn, so I pointed it out.

That has nothing to do with the debate at hand. I didn't like '1836' when I heard it, too, but it grew on me. I am tired of Houston-regioned teams going with the space stuff. Mexican-American friends I have didn't seem to have a problem with 1836 when it was announced, and I certainly wasn't trying to be insensitive in defending that name. I shouldn't have to worry about being perceived as racially out of touch for thinking it sounded cool when it was unveiled. Moot point I guess now.

Go F.C. Dallas!

newsig.jpg

Let's just name them the Alamos and rub the fact they slaughted an outnumbered force which only strengthened resolve to become independent.

It was dumb to guise it under cultural insensativity(maybe someone should call up the NY Yankees and tell them about how they're cuturally insensative and have Steinbrenner write an apology letter to the United Kingdom now).

Or how about the Blue Jackets release a public statement to all teams appearing in the Eastern Conference's Southern Division denouncing having won the American Civil War.

The Dayton Bombers should apologize to every city that ever saw a bomber in its sky to cure cultural insensativity.

The Reds should apologize and change their team name so anyone who suffers from Red-Green color blindness or just hates the show on PBS, will be able to enjoy the festering NL team from Cincy.

The Blues should apologize for being a sole color and not the entire spectrum of colors.

And while we're at it, the Jazz should apologize for deluding people into thinking that good music comes from Salt Lake City.

But the MLS should apologize for this entire stunt because it's too afraid to stick with a name that actual soccer fans would recognize and enjoy and pandering to the possible fans or anyone with a pulse in the greater Houston area. Because being called 1836 is offensive...yet, living in a town named for the guy who beat the Mexican army...that's totally kosher.

Now that I'm done, do I end this like Jim Rome?

I'm out.

How about the "Houston used to be home to Native Americans and then the French came in and then the Spanish took over and then the colony rebelled and Mexico was formed and then Mexico was poor so they sold their land in the north to Americans who got pissed off at the repressive Mexican government and rebelled and Texas was formed and then realized they couldn't survive on their own so they joined the United States who was later torn in two so we joined the Confederacy but that went to :censored: so now we're back to being Houston, Texas of the United States of America Soccer, or Football, or Fußball, or whatever other foreign language is currently spoken in this great melting pot, club" I think that should just about cover it all...

How about the "Houston used to be home to Native Americans and then the French came in and then the Spanish took over and then the colony rebelled and Mexico was formed and then Mexico was poor so they sold their land in the north to Americans who got pissed off at the repressive Mexican government and rebelled and Texas was formed and then realized they couldn't survive on their own so they joined the United States who was later torn in two so we joined the Confederacy but that went to  :censored: so now we're back to being Houston, Texas of the United States of America Soccer, or Football, or Fußball, or whatever other foreign language is currently spoken in this great melting pot, club"  I think that should just about cover it all...

I can't wait to see the logo!!!!!!

rangersCBSig.gif

I can't wait to see the logo!!!!!!

Here's a hint... picture six flags from various countries and/or time periods...

Six flags? Over Texas? Sounds thrilling!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived