Curt Gowdy dies

brinkeguthrie

He will be missed. Not being a New Englander, I will always associate him with the NBC baseball "Game of the Week" and AFC football. It seemed like he was always the guy calling any game the Raiders were involved in when I was a wee lad.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Sweet trib, Tank.

I'm not old enough to have ever seen Gowdy or remember him if I did, but I know enough to recognize his contributions and to know he was a true legend of broadcasting.

Thanks and farewell, Cowboy.

6uXNWAo.png

For several years in the early 90's I had a job where I drove little old ladies around the airport in a golf cart so they could make connecting flights. This lead to several memorable "brushes with fame".

One of them came when the Super Bowl was held in Minneapolis and I gave a ride to Curt Gowdy. He wasn't very mobile due to some sort of leg/hip issue. It was an honor for me to have met him and have a few minutes of converstation together. He was a ture class act and a hall of famer to be sure.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I have heard very few of Curt Gowdy's broadcasts but I recognized the name, the voice and the face. So many year, so many sports, and such a class act from all accounts I hear.

I'll never forget the stories I heard from my father-in-law about his call on Ted Williams' last at bat. Only he, Ted and a few trainers and coaches knew. Then that ball flew over the wall and soon, Curt let everyone in on the significance of that swing. It's a story I'll never get tired of hearing.

Some people were made for what they do. His place in history was just where it should be. I listened to Charlie Steiner interviewing Dick Enberg and talking about Mr. Gowdy. What a man. RIP. Hope to hear that voice again somewhere sweeter.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived