Bonds vs. Selig *merged*

brinkeguthrie

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dose not even look like Bonds in 1986.

Yeah it does. And that's probably what he oughta look like today.

Few people remember when he broke in with the Bucs, he was their leadoff man. Pretty speedy, so-so power.

I'd love to know his helmet size in '86 versus what he needs to cover that massive squash in '06...

Not many, if any, people at 42 look like they did at 22.

I meant more in the sense that his physique would be more wiry and less bulky. Sure, with age he'd get a bit heavier and saggy, but there's almost no way to go from where he was to where he is without assistance. Especially considering that he started on the path to his cartoonish figure less than a decade ago, when he was already 30-plus, and it took him barely 5 years to achieve it, in his late 30s.

Anything's possible, but it's highly unlikely.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I hope this causes a huge chain of events involving asterisks in the record books, Bonds being kicked out of the game, Bud Selig's firing, and Dusty Baker's fessing up of knowledge and subsequent leaving of Chicago.

Here, let me give you Dusty Baker's response to this story, in advance of him actually saying it:

"Dude, I don't know nothing 'bout no steroids. I ain't never seen 'em in a clubhouse, I don't even know what they are. People telling stories 'bout using drugs, that's just society, dude."

Yeah heard that on the score and shook my head. Classic Dusty bullcrap. I really hope he gets dumped. :cursing:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yep, that's Dusty's standard-issue shtick. Unfortunately for him, "Dude, I don't know nothin' bout payin' no income taxes, man" wasn't as effective.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

One question though:

Where'd all those :censored:in', "he didn't do 'roids, so shut up about it" Barry Bonds apologists now?

Idiots. We told you. It was so goddamned obvious but you just didn't listen. If you spent 10 minutes with the :censored: you'd know enough about him not to have defended him. :censored:in' morons.

nav-logo.png

If Bonds is allowed to keep the records, it's really saying that there really is reward for cheating- if enough time has passed you won't suffer consequences. Not a good message. Couldn't Bud Selig ban Bonds from basball for life? Or at the very least everything that was done while he was cheating should be null and void for the record books. This would mean most of the records he's broken or is close to breaking would be safe again. No astericks, no parentheses, no exceptions.

The sad thing is that assuming he didn't take any steroids before 1998, he had a carreer worthy enough for the Hall of Fame. It wouldn't have been as obvious and his bad attitude would have probably cost him a first-time entry, but he would have gotten there. Now, I don't want him anywhere near the likes of Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, or Hank Aaron.

This would not be setting a precident. The Black Sox (1919 Chicago White Sox) were all suspended from baseball for life despite the fact they were acquitted in court. The scandal hurt baseball badly. It was arguably wasn't until a few years later that baseball started to regain its momentum again.

I hope that if Bonds is allowewd to continue to play he's is booed so badly he'll need industrial-strength ear protection. The man is a pathalogical cheater and a fraud. If baseball really wants to help the integrity of the game both the front office and the players union should cut him off right away.

:angered:

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

If Bonds is allowed to keep the records, it's really saying that there really is reward for cheating- if enough time has passed you won't suffer consequences. Not a good message. Couldn't Bud Selig ban Bonds from basball for life?

I am not a Bonds apologist. I find him morally reprehensible, and pray that divine intervention keeps Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth right where they are on the all-time HR list. And I would love to see steroids eradicated from the game (of course, I grew up a pitcher, so I am biased ^_^).

But Bonds didn't cheat by the letter of the law. He unquestionably violated the integrity of the game and the spirit of the competition by (allegedly) using steroids. But as there was no drug policy in MLB at the time, he didn't break any rules. Mark McGwire openly displayed a bottle of andro in his locker during his pursuit of Roger Maris's 61 homers. As much as I agree with your sentiment, I don't see how Bud Selig can ban someone for violating rules that weren't in existence at the time the violations took place. The law calls that ex post facto legislation, which is deemed unconstitutional at the federal and state levels in the United States. If it wasn't illegal when he did it, you can't punish him for it retroactively.

However, I'm still hoping he gets intentionally walked for every miserable at-bat left in his career.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

believe me, the USA doesn't see HALF the boorish behavior we do. EVERY SINGLE thing we see on the tube.

What a sham the Abdul thing was, acting like 'one o' the guys,' when it was merely to get some positive vid for ESPN..vid that will be shortly be near impossible to find.

The guy is simply an arrogrant jerk of mythical stature. But he puts fannies in the seats, and McGowan has a steep bill to pay for his privately financed playpen. (albeit a spectacular one.)

Top jerks in sports:

NFL--------Owens

NBA--------

NHL--------

MLB--------Bonds

Since I don't follow the NBA or NHL (are there jerks in the NHL?) -feel free to fill in the blanks.

I hope this causes a huge chain of events involving asterisks in the record books, Bonds being kicked out of the game, Bud Selig's firing, and Dusty Baker's fessing up of knowledge and subsequent leaving of Chicago.

Here, let me give you Dusty Baker's response to this story, in advance of him actually saying it:

"Dude, I don't know nothing 'bout no steroids. I ain't never seen 'em in a clubhouse, I don't even know what they are. People telling stories 'bout using drugs, that's just society, dude."

Not usually one to quote myself, but compare my fabricated quote from yesterday to one actually said by Dusty today:

"I read it, man. I was lost. I didn't even know there were that many kinds of steroids. I've never even seen steroids. I didn't even know what steroids are steroids other than the kinds you use to fight allergies... I was quite surprised with the detail that was in there."

Ding, ding, ding.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

VitaminD, you make a great point on not being able to really punish someone retroactively. That would probable mean that the single-season homerun record continues to stand. But when you do talk about integrity, records, and the great players that set them. We shouldn't mention people like Bonds or McGwire. It's a real shame they had to tarnish the game and their own careers for a record and a season that most will remember. As for me, Hank Aaron will be the all-time home run king and Roger Maris the single-season home run king. Those guys provide baseball with the definition of a great career and a great season and should be recognized for it.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Bud Selig is such a damn wuss.

He's going to have to review the book before making a decision.

I bet anything that he is indecisive about this whole thing. Chicken :censored:.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Sports Illustrated has put together a slideshow of pics of Barry Bonds throughout his career. You can watch him mutate like Bruce Banner. From the thin but athletic rookie, to the behemoth we love to hate today. Suuuuuuure he's never done 'roids.

The "Growing" Legend of Barry Bonds

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

If Bonds is allowed to keep the records, it's really saying that there really is reward for cheating- if enough time has passed you won't suffer consequences. Not a good message. Couldn't Bud Selig ban Bonds from basball for life?

I am not a Bonds apologist. I find him morally reprehensible, and pray that divine intervention keeps Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth right where they are on the all-time HR list. And I would love to see steroids eradicated from the game (of course, I grew up a pitcher, so I am biased ^_^).

But Bonds didn't cheat by the letter of the law. He unquestionably violated the integrity of the game and the spirit of the competition by (allegedly) using steroids. But as there was no drug policy in MLB at the time, he didn't break any rules. Mark McGwire openly displayed a bottle of andro in his locker during his pursuit of Roger Maris's 61 homers. As much as I agree with your sentiment, I don't see how Bud Selig can ban someone for violating rules that weren't in existence at the time the violations took place. The law calls that ex post facto legislation, which is deemed unconstitutional at the federal and state levels in the United States. If it wasn't illegal when he did it, you can't punish him for it retroactively.

However, I'm still hoping he gets intentionally walked for every miserable at-bat left in his career.

I believe steriod use was illegal in baseball back in 98 and before that. THere was just no testing. It was basically if they got caught injecting. And let's not forget the fact that they are illegal in the US. You can't retroactively go back and wipe out his numbers but I'm sure he could be suspended under the best interest of baseball clause considering that there was no set numbers for suspension back then.

I'm wondering if this is going to happen in my fantasy league too.

In any case, Barry Bonds may have just won the Nelson Munz award.

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm wondering if this is going to happen in my fantasy league too.

In any case, Barry Bonds may have just won the Nelson Munz award.

HA ha!

VmWIn6B.png

Top jerks in sports:

NFL--------Owens

NBA--------

NHL--------

MLB--------Bonds

NHL- Mathew Barnaby. God I hate that man, and I hate the fact he is still playing.

NHL- Bertuzzi, Kasperitis, Tie Domi

NHL -- Sean "I Hate French People" Avery...guy's a schmuck and I wouldn't weep too much if he was on the business-end of a Bryan Marchment Special?

NBA -- Ron Artest.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Archived