MetroStars become Red Bull New York...

Brian in Boston

Seeing they mentioned on the site that they'd be working closely with Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian League, I wonder if the RBNY crest is actually an adaptation of what RBS wears.

Red Bull New York

redbull2.gif

Red Bull Salzburg

brand.gif

That is a complete ripoff. Someone should let the designers of the Red Bull Salzburg logo know about this. :upside:

Uh, kinda hard to rip off your own logo...

Case in point, all minor league clubs that keep the parent club's name and look, like the Richmond Braves.

But, I actually like this. It's another extreme of the Euroizing, as a European corporation is actually purchasing a club as opposed to just hijacking a naming scheme.

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a side note, whatever happened to the Bank One Bears?

who were they?

The Chicago Bears presented by Bank One.

Stupid.

Its really bad when its the Chicago Bears presented by Bank One, Pizza Hut Training Camp built by the Home Depot. I wish I was kidding. (Actually I can't remember the primary sponsor of Training Camp last year, but I know it was Built by the Home Depot, and when you added the "Presented by Bank One" to the bears it jsut got uber-rediculous.

I'm ok with Red Bull New York. It has a nice mixture of mascot, euro soccer, and sponsor.

I'm not so bothered by this. And I don't think it would have happened if the corporation didn't have a name that could lend itself to a team nickname. If there were no energy drink called Red Bull, and the team just named themselves that, I don't think we'd be hearing that many complaints.

The story up on MLSnet.com says that while the official name is Red Bull New York, they'll be referred to as New York Red Bulls.

so now we've got a team that wears red, and has a bull for a logo... and then we've got a completely different team called red bull...

that won't get confusing, will it?

I think New York Red Bulls would've sounded a lot better. I'm kinda disappointed they simply replacd Salzburg with New York(similar to Chivas USA last year). But I hope they aren't jerks like their Austrian brethern and don't force Metrostars fans to toss their old jerseys before entering the park. I hope the Bulls keep the uni's previously reserved for Metrostars. The colors are close enough that I think it shouldn't be an issue.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Seeing they mentioned on the site that they'd be working closely with Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian League, I wonder if the RBNY crest is actually an adaptation of what RBS wears.

Red Bull New York

redbull2.gif

Red Bull Salzburg

brand.gif

That is a complete ripoff. Someone should let the designers of the Red Bull Salzburg logo know about this. :upside:

Uh, kinda hard to rip off your own logo...

Case in point, all minor league clubs that keep the parent club's name and look, like the Richmond Braves.

But, I actually like this. It's another extreme of the Euroizing, as a European corporation is actually purchasing a club as opposed to just hijacking a naming scheme.

See the upside down smilie? That means I was being SARCASTIC (in case it wasn't otherwise apparent). Rough plane ride from Spokane make it hard to pick that up? :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This has been a bad couple of days. The US loses to Canada in the WBC. Both MLS clubs got booted from the CONCACAF Champions Cup last night. My alma mater (FSU) just choked in the ACC tourney and probably punched their tickets to the NIT. Although I knew about this a couple of days ago, this Red Bull New York thing really ticks me off right now.

I don't know, it just doesn't sit right. I think it's because it makes the league seem cheap. It's the kind of thing you'd expect in low minor league baseball or semi-pro football. It's not something I want to see in my first division soccer league. The badge is ridiculous, the logo for the drink. The MetroStars finally had a decent badge and kit and now this.

Besides, something has always seemed a bit fishy to me about these energy drinks.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

In discussing the MetroStars' sale, MLS Commissioner Don Garber confirmed interest in putting a second team in the New York Market. From MLSNet.com:

we've been able to put together an agreement that a second team can come into New York as early as 2010, but not before that.

And team president and GM Alexi Lalas addressed the new uniforms:

AL: The uniforms will not be seen in public until our first game in D.C. (April 2). Those will obviously be the away jerseys. The first time the fans can see our home jerseys will be when we take the field on April 8 and we are going to blow peoples minds on April 8. It is going to be a spectacle, on and off the field. It is going to be the place to be, at Giants Stadium, and I can't wait because this is going to be an incredible season and we are going to kick it off with a bang for the season opener.

Now wait a minute, I thought there was some sort of rule that if a team played in Giants Stadium, which is owned by the NY/NJ Port Authority, they had to call themselves "New York/New Jersey." Thusly the NY/NJ Knights, NY/NJ MetroStars, and NY/NJ Hitmen.

Oh, and even though MLS uses one font, I really like the number font of RB Salzburg.

And can anyone tell me why I don't feel all icky about this name? I'm anywhere from ambivalent to somewhat liking it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Now wait a minute, I thought there was some sort of rule that if a team played in Giants Stadium, which is owned by the NY/NJ Port Authority, they had to call themselves "New York/New Jersey." Thusly the NY/NJ Knights, NY/NJ MetroStars, and NY/NJ Hitmen.

Oh, and even though MLS uses one font, I really like the number font of RB Salzburg.

And can anyone tell me why I don't feel all icky about this name? I'm anywhere from ambivalent to somewhat liking it.

You mean like the New York Giants and the New York Jets; both of home have NY on their helmets?

Perhaps i'm in the minority, but I love the crest, name and jerseys of Red Bull New York. Maybe it's because i always thought Metrostars was so lame and their identity package so generic and uninspired.

if they do indeed add a second team to the NY market and they put it in the same stadium in Harrison, N.J. then the MLS brass are bigger idiots than I thought.

What are the team colors now exactly? Not red and black anymore right?

Archived