Louisiana - Monroe semi-finalists...

Brian in Boston

The University of Louisiana at Monroe's Athletic Department Mascot Committee has settled upon the nine semi-finalist identities that will be put to a vote in an on-line poll between Monday, March 20th and Friday, March 31st. The semi-finalists are:

Bayou Bandits

Bayou Bruins

Bayou Gators

Bayou Raiders

Bayou Storm

Hawks

Storm

Warhawks

Four Mascot Sub-Committees had initially presented 19 possible identities to the full Mascot Committee. The ten identities eliminated were:

Aviators

Bayou Buccaneers

Bayou Thunder

Black Bears

Gators

Gladiators

Falcons

Maroon Fury

Maroon Platoon

Red Hawks

Rickabaugh Graphics of Columbus, Ohio has been selected to design the logo package that will accompany UL-M's new identity.

I think that Warhawks is going to be the winner. They can keep any identity with the Indian theme, even with new logos.

heh, I'm all for it...hell, that was the original meaning of UW Whitewater's Warhawks moniker. yeah, we (UWW) would cease to be the lone Warhawks on the block, but ULM can do a lot with it. Though you can call me biased, the only strike with ULM is that "ULM Warhawks" and "Monroe Warhawks" don't really roll off the tongue as well as "Whitewater Warhawks" does, though "Louisiana Warhawks" sounds good, as that's probably what they're gonna call themselves (assuming the bitchfest over who has the right to call itself "Louisiana" still rages).

Warhawks, we are the Warhawks...Shouting out our battle cry...

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Being an alumnus, I can say WarHawks is my favorite, with Bayou Bruins a second. What will probably happen is the largest donor to the school will ask his/her grandkids what logo is their favorite and that will be that. A poll might be meaningless. :cursing:

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Do they even have bayous in North Louisiana?

Good Point, Ahub. They really don't have bayous up around Monroe, and for that reason alone all the "Bayou" names to me are bogus.....

It is what it is.

No matter what the name is, at least the logo will be good, since it's coming from Rickabaugh.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Do they even have bayous in North Louisiana?

Good Point, Ahub. They really don't have bayous up around Monroe, and for that reason alone all the "Bayou" names to me are bogus.....

That was one of the main reasons i didnt want Bayou attached to any of the names. There arent any? There are 2 Louisianas. A north one and a south one. One is famous for its swamps and bayous and cajun food and the other is well basically southern arkansas. What about a luberjack related name? i know the timber industry plays a role in the north louisiana economy

They really don't have bayous up around Monroe, and for that reason alone all the "Bayou" names to me are bogus.....
That was one of the main reasons i didn't want Bayou attached to any of the names. There arent any?

Actually, the campus of ULM is located on Bayou DeSiard. Hence, the names that included the word bayou.

Mascot Semi-Finalists

At Wednesday's meeting, the ULM Mascot Committee expanded the list of mascot semi-finalists to 12 after a conference call with Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) and Rickabaugh Graphics, consultants who are advising ULM in the mascot naming and marketing process.

The Mascot Committee sought the expanded list after CLC indicated "Hawks" may have trademark and copyright infringement, which is nationally trademarked by the Atlanta Hawks, a NBA team.

The committee also sought feedback from CLC and Rickabaugh Graphics on the original list of semi-finalists.

The updated list, listed alphabetically

Aviators

Bayou Bandits

Bayou Bruins

Bayou Buccaneers

Bayou Gators

Bayou Hawks

Bayou Raiders

Bayou Storm

Marauders

Thunder

Thunderbirds

Warhawks

Dropped from the previous semi-finalist list were "Hawks" and "Storm".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© - The University of Louisiana at Monroe ? 700 University Avenue ? Monroe, LA 71209 ? (318) 342-1000

Last Update: March 16, 2006

Unless I am misreading this it appears that they have modifed the list of names

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Archived