New Spike TV Logo

WhoDey42

I just saw that Spike TV is getting rid of their "wussy" looking cursive "Spike" logo and going with a more masculine logo. Along with the slogan of "Get More Action"

Old logo:

Spike_tv_logo.jpg

New logo:

22564183.JPG

Spike TV: Now Even More Manly

Cable network drops cursive logo, rebrands

Back in the summer of 2003, when America was familiarizing itself with a new kind of guy known as the metrosexual, Spike TV launched itself as the "first network for men." The network certainly had some manly bona fides -- James Bond movies, pro wrestling, grown-up cartoons -- but it also had a problem.

That would be its logo, a cursive rendering of the word "Spike" that one TV critic described as "flowing, kind of wussy script." Albie Hecht, then president of the network, defended it, saying "There's a lot of manly logos out there that use that cursiveness, and to me, that signature is a way of talking about personality and I love it."

Two-plus years later, though, "metrosexual" is no longer a buzzword and Spike is rebranding itself as, well, even more masculine than it was before. The network on Wednesday unveiled a new, more aggressive logo that it says will stand "in stark contrast with the cursive lettering ... of the past." The new logo, along with the cheeky, double-entendre tagline of "Get More Action," will be seen on-air starting in May.

"Spike is an entertainment brand dedicated to men. We are a destination that will inspire and define men through bold, action-packed original entertainment," says Niels Schuurmans, creative director at Spike. "We feel our brand positioning and new logo reflect that, and are dedicated to helping our audience 'Get More Action.'"

The image makeover goes along with some programming initiatives at the network, including a renewal of Spike's deal with the Ulimate Fighting Championship and the launch of the network's first original scripted series, "Blade," in June. Reruns of "The Shield" started airing on the network this month, and Spike will also become the home of the "Star Wars" movies in 2008.

"Be it action in its conventional meaning, to action on the tables in Las Vegas, to action in the Octagon for a mixed martial arts fight, guys can expect a constant stream of action programming on Spike TV," general manager Kevin Kay says.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-spiketvr...ap-tv-headlines

I never really thought of Spike TV's logo being "wussy" and this new logo is kinda boring if you ask me.

Good heavens, that network has an identity crisis.

The Nashville Network->The National Network->Spike TV->Spike with new logo.

JUST PICK SOMETHING ALREADY!

VmWIn6B.png

i was just watching Spike and saw the 'old' logo on the lower right hand side... but i like the newer logo alot more. seems like spike tv is trying to cash in on spike lee's name. oh wait, mr. lee already figured that out.

22564183.JPG

I didn't see a problem with the old one. I saw it as grafiti, too.

The new one is decent, and certainly "manly". If I didn't know it was for a TV station, I'd assume it was a power tool emblem. Hate the gradient effect, I wonder if they have a clean version for on-screen use.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Upgrade on the logo, but I've never been a fan of the network.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Upgrade on the logo, but I've never been a fan of the network.

I havent been a big fan of the network either, but they are getting a little better. They have the reruns of The Shield and CSI now (2 great shows). They have UFC, which is fun to watch sometimes. They have all the James Bond movies and they're getting all the Star Wars movies in 08. It says that they're going to start having new original shows too, so we'll see how those turn out.

I like it. Not better than the old one, but I like it.

I'm sure they have a simpler one (with no gradient or border) for the standard opaque display during broadcasts. Then, I have a feeling, it will look less like a power tool emblem, as winters in buffalo stated, and more like sort of military honor.

By the way, to lmupepbander, there was a stage when it was called "The New TNN," if I remember correctly.

P.S.: Putting the "insert" key next to the spacebar on this laptop was an absolutely terrible idea by Compaq.

There was nothing "wussy" about the old logo. It's funny Joel said something about 18 wheelers because it screams mudflaps to me.

Downgrade.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I like the new logo, at least it's not the "NEW TNN" logo. Btw I stopped watching when they became rerun central, if they really want to improve viewers bring in Magnum PI and The A Team

I like the new logo, at least it's not the "NEW TNN" logo. Btw I stopped watching when they became rerun central, if they really want to improve viewers bring in Magnum PI and The A Team

I think techically TV Land has that title. :P

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I like the new logo, at least it's not the "NEW TNN" logo.  Btw I stopped watching when they became rerun central, if they really want to improve viewers bring in Magnum PI and The A Team

I think techically TV Land has that title. :P

true, but TNT and Spike TV in the daytime are close behind

Archived