Who's Should Be Next To Have An Alternate Jersey?

nyk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind alternates just as long as they keep it to a minimum. I don't need to see alternate jerseys all the time. If they wear them rarely (like a game or two), I'll be happy. It is refreshing to see something a bit away from the norm every once in a while, but not in every other game. The NBA and NHL don't seem to be getting the message.

In any event, here are the teams that would have nice alternates if they used these colors:

St. Louis Cardinals-red

Cincinnati Reds-black

Milwaukee Bucks-green

Carolina Hurricanes-black

Tampa Bay Bucs-pewter

Milwaukee Brewers-gold

Los Angeles Dodgers-blue

Phoenix Coyotes-black and/or brown

Colorado Avalanche-blue

Georgia Tech football-navy

Syracuse basketball-navy

So I'm going to assume these don't count as alternates in your book:

tml.jpg

ht.jpg

mt.jpg

ptb.jpg

All of which are alternate jerseys, but by no means fit you generalization of alternate uniforms.

I consider that Leafs jersey a throwback. It's a different category since it is honoring a jersey they wore in the past. That jersey kicks ass, by the way.

The Texans jersey doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If all you are going to do is re-color your normal jersey, why not just leave it alone? Plus, they wear the blue ones for a 8 games a year (or less), do you really need a break from that?

The Twins is a fine looking jersey, but it's ugly because colored jerseys over white or gray pants looks more "softball" that pro baseball. All MLB colored jerseys fit in the ugly category. Plus, with the Twins, it doesn't really go well with the pinstipes on the pants.

The Blazers jersey is the same as the Texans (except for the few games a year part), plus it is ugly compared to the regualr black jersey.

I'd like too see the Seahawks in lime green (with inverted blue/white piping on the sleeves and collar) just ONCE. They cold wear white pants (which should be the preferred home pants IMHO) and the lime jersey (seahwk green) could have either green, white, or gunmetal blue sleeves, but I think green would work best.

Just once -so this board would go crazy. :shocked:

I'd like too see the Seahawks in lime green (with inverted blue/white piping on the sleeves and collar) just ONCE. They cold wear white pants (which should be the preferred home pants IMHO) and the lime jersey (seahwk green) could have either green, white, or gunmetal blue sleeves, but I think green would work best.

Just once -so this board would go crazy. :shocked:

I made up one of those a while back:

SeattleSeahawks_Prop_3rd.jpg

I think that george lucas should buy the sabres and they can wear star wars attire, and use light sabers instead of sticks.Their jerseys can be neon green at home, with a jedi on it, and neon red away with a member of the darkside.LOL

:vaderandluke:

I'd like the see the Brewers have an alternate road jersey. Something like gold on grey or tan using the Milwaukee script (and just the script) instead of Brewers. Have the names and numbers navy with a gold outline and a white drop shadow, and the M and Barley on Wisconsin shoulder patch.

Save the slugalo.

Oh and please switch back to whites at home, colored on the road. I get so frickin confused on which team is home or away. It works in football because it's always been like that, or at least longer than most people have been alive. You can't just decide to switch them in this day and age when people are used to the one way. Go back!

Of course you are American and that just explains to us Canadians that Americans cannot understand hockey. It's not hard to grasp the concept that home is dark (has been for the season before this and for half a season when the NHL was 75). You must also want the Fox glowing puck back because it's so hard to see a black puck on white ice.

I kind of agree with both sides of the recoloring debate. It seems kind of odd to just recolor your normal jersey as an alternate, when you can completely change it up and look really good (Colorado Avs, Minnesota Wild, NY Rangers - I use these because hockey seems to do this more than any other sport). However if a recoloring is done right, and especially if the color is a drastic contrast to the normal team uniform, I think it can look very shap (Red Houston Texans).

We are one!

Mavericks- Light Blue

Bobcats- Black

Pats- Red

Timberwolves-Green

Hornets-Purple

Reds- Black

Nats- Blue

Bengals- Orange Pants!

Nuggets- something out of the ordinary  RED!!

Grizz- Yellow

Bucks - Black

Sonics- Black

Wizards- Gold

Orlando- Black

Rockets- Gray

Phins- Navy Blue

Panthers- again something different RED!

The topic is about who should be the next to have an alternate, and so many of these teams already have alternates. I know that the NBA has no more than three current jerseys per team.

The Timberwolves, Sonics, Hornets, Mavericks, and Nuggets already have alternates. I wouldn't mind, however, seeing the alternates of the Nuggets, Hornets, or Sonics replaced.

I would, however, like to point out that some of these "alternate" suggestions are the same as throwbacks.

Nuggets have had red/maroon. (1996)

Hornets have had purple (1990's)

Bucks had a green alternate (1997, and 1970's away... someone else mentioned green)

Mavericks, around 1996, had a lighter blue, but not really light blue

Magic had a purple away jersey (1994 or so)

I agree with whoever suggested the Milwaukee Brewers gold, they described it very vividly.

The NBA is more my area of expertise, however. So I would say:

Milwaukee Bucks- Green

San Antonio Spurs- Grey (like N.J. Nets)

Memphis Grizzlies- Green and Black together (like Raptors' purple and black)

Furthermore, please, no more yellow jerseys. This is worse than any black jersey fad.

Nuggets have had red/maroon. (1996)

Hornets have had purple (1990's)

Bucks had a green alternate (1997, and 1970's away... someone else mentioned green)

Mavericks, around 1996, had a lighter blue, but not really light blue

Magic had a purple away jersey (1994 or so)

I'm confused. Are you saying that these teams actually HAD alternate uniforms in these colors????

Denver Nuggets: (dark) Red was a team color in 1996, but they never had an alt in it.

Dallas Mavericks: No. They did not have a Light Blue alternate in or around 1996.

Orlando Magic: Purple has never been a team color.

Milwaukee Bucks- Green

San Antonio Spurs- Grey (like N.J. Nets)

I'm also confused about this. By "Green and Black" together, are you referring to the old Grizzlies colors of Turquoise, Black, Bronze and Red?

Lions need to be the first to do a silver alt right.

lions.jpg

Erroneous.

Not that your design's that bad, but the Lions shouldn't have an alt aside from the throwbacks for Thanksgiving. I actually like your design, it's just blastphemous. Also, the #3 has sadly left Motown....unless Kitna's stealing Joey's #

Any more blastphemous than the black? For me, the Lions have sadly already ruined a great tradition.

I'd like too see the Seahawks in lime green (with inverted blue/white piping on the sleeves and collar) just ONCE.  They cold wear white pants (which should be the preferred home pants IMHO) and the lime jersey (seahwk green) could have either green, white, or gunmetal blue sleeves, but I think green would work best.

Just once -so this board would go crazy.    :shocked:

Here was my try at it. Got slammed on the board. I still like it though. Used the dark blue rather than the Seahawk blue that it looks like Pantone used in his concept.

seahawkuni.jpg

No team should ever wear lime green...

I prefer the dark home jerseys in hockey. Almost all teams (with the exception of the Habs and Leafs) have dark alts, so it makes more sense to just wear the dark unis in front of the home fans. Plus they did it that way for a hundred years until the seventies. :hockeysmiley:

I alwyas liked the Nets gray alts. I don't think enough teams wear gray in the NBA. It's a good color for away jerseys in my opinion.

So, according to you, the blue and green jerseys of the Cubs and A's are drab compared to their plain grey road uniforms? If anything the road uniforms are drab compared to their respective alternates.

With the Cubs, I was comparing it to their home uniforms. The pinstripes and Cubs logo are better looking than all blue and the walking cub. I couldn't even tell you what the Cubs road uniform looks like since they wear the blue so often.

going back to the tendencies of Cubs pitchers...

Zambrano always wears blue. when Clement was a Cub, he also always wore blue.

Wood wears pinstripes at home, blue on the road (when he starts, anyway)

Prior and Maddux usually both wear pinstripes at home, gray on the road...although the blues made a rare appearance on Maddux's back one night in LA, a Cubs win.

Rusch seems to usually go blue, though he has gone with the pinstripes sometimes.

Jon Koronka, who made a couple starts last year, wore blue both times.

basically, if you wanna see the grays in action, your initial best bet is likely Wednesday (Zambrano's starting Monday, and Maddux is probably going in the second game against Cincy on Wednesday)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

going back to the tendencies of Cubs pitchers...

Zambrano always wears blue. when Clement was a Cub, he also always wore blue.

Wood wears pinstripes at home, blue on the road (when he starts, anyway)

Prior and Maddux usually both wear pinstripes at home, gray on the road...although the blues made a rare appearance on Maddux's back one night in LA, a Cubs win.

Rusch seems to usually go blue, though he has gone with the pinstripes sometimes.

Jon Koronka, who made a couple starts last year, wore blue both times.

See, this is where someone needs to intervene. I'm all for superstitions, but you can't have a team wearing its "alternate" uniforms as frequently as 2/3 of its games, simply on the preferences of their starting pitchers. Koronko, Zambrano, Clement and Rusch (and Wood half the time) insist on the blues so much that the primaries become the rarity. That's not what alternatives were intended for. You want an occasional change of pace for Sundays or holidays? So be it. But when you're putting on your "occasional" uniform for over 100 games in a baseball season, that's overdoing it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Denver Nuggets: (dark) Red was a team color in 1996, but they never had an alt in it.

Dallas Mavericks: No.  They did not have a Light Blue alternate in or around 1996.

Orlando Magic: Purple has never been a team color.

Denver Nuggets- Sorry, I seem to remember incorrectly. I remembered their 1996 home jerseys were white with, primarily, red. I figured that their away jerseys were reversed, but that was my error.

Dallas Mavericks never had a light blue, as I said, but it was a lighter blue than they have now.

Orlando- this was a typo on my part. I meant to say black. He said that they should have black, and I was saying how they've already had black.

I'm also confused about this. By "Green and Black" together, are you referring to the old Grizzlies colors of Turquoise, Black, Bronze and Red?

Yes, that would be the old turquoise, thank you. I think that a two-toned jersey, like that of the Toronto Raptors with purple in front and black in back, would be nice to see for another team, especially since Toronto has kind of phased out those jerseys.

The Grizzlies could use an alternate, but not with their current colors (blue, powder blue, and yellow). Black jerseys can be cool, but I think they are overdone. Same as yellow, and powder blue would not be a far cry from their current blue away uniforms. (Also, their current uniforms with two shades of blue are similar to Dallas and Utah, and they never should have changed.)

Archived