Who's Should Be Next To Have An Alternate Jersey?

nyk

I think the more alternate and throwback uniforms, the better. They only enhance the spectating experience. It gets boring seeing the same uniforms over and over again. I don't understand why they upset so many people.

Dude, it's sports. Not a fashion show. The purpose of uniforms is simply to tell one team from another. Everything else is purely an attempt to get into the wallets of the fans.

The word "alternate" implies it is a choice to serve as a break from the norm. So when teams create alternates to alternates, it defeats the purpose of the alternate. Likewise, when the "once in a while" jersey is worn more often than the primary jersey, it defeats the purpose of the alternate.

Some teams look fine in alternates, but it's just out of hand. Teams wear colors that aren't theirs, they don't maintain a consistent identity from game to game, and they've become cliché.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned before, I believe Alt.'s can be a nice addition to a uniform set...when done right. Examples:

MLB: Of course, leave the homes/roads white and gray. But, that CAN be a little monotinous(sp?), especially for 162 games. A colored jersey used every now and then can help. Or even a vest. If they have a colored and a vest, relegate the vest to Home Sunday games, and just use the colored jersey in a reasonable amount for both home and away...except on home Sunday games. Moderation is the key.

NBA: One alt. is all that is needed. Don't make it drastically different than the regualr set. Maybe the same design in a third color. Maybe use a wordmark of the club that doesn't appear on either of the MAIN jerseys (but don't create some off-the-wall wordmark just for that one jersey). If your going to use a throwback, as mentioned before, use it on Holidays, or some special event game, i.e. maybe a player's number being retired or honoring a past championship team. And like they tend to do now, don't use a colored throwback at home making the road team wear white. It's like watching basketball with dyslexia. White for home, Colored for road (maybe yellow or gold for both. Use your own judgement)

NFL: One jersey on just a game or two, like is currently in use. Mixing and matching between the regular set, which I limit to or less than, two jerseys: home and away, and two pants: home and away. Again, use proper judgement on the mixing and matching. Throwbacks are good for holidays, definately Thanksgiving.

NHL: Don't care too much, but as applied before, one alt. Oh and please switch back to whites at home, colored on the road. I get so frickin confused on which team is home or away. It works in football because it's always been like that, or at least longer than most people have been alive. You can't just decide to switch them in this day and age when people are used to the one way. Go back!

thanks. i'm out.

EDITED NOTE: Oh, fogot. DROP THE UNNECESSARY(sp?) BLACK!!!

This applies to ALL Leagues in ALL Sports.

The thing is, if you don't like being marketed to, then don't open your wallets. The couple dozen of the people on these boards who are up in arms about alternate jerseys will show 'em the errors of their ways! :P

Personally, I'm gonna go home and roll around giggling in a pile of made of my red Red Sox jersey, black Senators jersey, diagonal script Avs jersey, old-school Wild jersey, Liberty head Rangers jersey, and orange Broncos jersey. :D

I'm not discounting the opinion that they can be over-used or poorly designed- I'm just saying that I'm not for getting rid of the whole lot just because some are.

I agree with the Blue Jays. Ditch the black alts and make a black one.

And as for hockey, I think there are a few pointless third jerseys (like the Flyers, Canucks, Blackhawks, etc) that just reverse colors or something. But when done right (Rangers, Colorado, Anaheim) they're a nice change of pace.

Baseball, the Mets have waaay too many unis. So do the Astros.

I agree with whoever said a grey Rockets alt.

that was me, and thank you pittfan.

seems as though with their futuristic jerseys, they would have done this already. not to mention the gray would come off as metallic because of the material. just like a metal rocket...or maybe just a lighter version of the old mavs charco-alts.

Mavericks- Light Blue

Bobcats- Black

Pats- Red

Timberwolves-Green

Hornets-Purple

Reds- Black

Nats- Blue

Bengals- Orange Pants!

Nuggets- something out of the ordinary RED!!

Grizz- Yellow

Bucks - Black

Sonics- Black

Wizards- Gold

Orlando- Black

Rockets- Gray

Phins- Navy Blue

Panthers- again something different RED!

no teams that dont already use black need black alts, including the bobcats, bucks, and sonics. my wolves would never be able to pull off a green alt, but maybe the bucks would. besides, the wolves already have a black "alt" if thats what u wanna call it.

nuggets in red? panthers in red? wizards in gold? i think you're pulling my leg.

the wiz could use black alts instead, like a fashion jersey i saw on someone at the basketball hall of fame a couple years back. it looked good.

Lions need to be the first to do a silver alt right.

lions.jpg

Erroneous.

Not that your design's that bad, but the Lions shouldn't have an alt aside from the throwbacks for Thanksgiving. I actually like your design, it's just blastphemous. Also, the #3 has sadly left Motown....unless Kitna's stealing Joey's #

...oh, and the NBA already has a moratorium on Black jerseys in the NBA...the NBA put a stop to all new Black jersey designs...this is why you're seeing so much Navy Blue these days. Navy is the closest color to Black.

Tom O'Grady addressed this very subject at the Uni Watch party a couple of weeks ago...

NBA

- In general I think the NBA should allow colored home alternates. Why couldn't Denver, Atlanta, NO, or Phoenix wear their secondarys at home against a darker colored team? I see no problem in that.

-Sacramento Kings; Silver "KINGS" alternate

-Golden State Warriors; Gold "WARRIORS" alternate I'd also change the name to Oakland Warriors...but thats a totally different topic!

-Utah Jazz; Light Blue "JAZZ" alternate

-Dallas Mavericks; Green "DALLAS" Alternate...no P.Diddy crap!

-Houston Rockets; Silver "HOUSTON" alternate or maybe with the "R" logo?

-San Antonio Spurs; Silver "SPURS" alternate.

-Indiana Pacers; Gold "INDIANA" alternate....I think it will be a matter of time.

-Philadelphia 76ers; Red "SIXERS" alternate...but I'd actually like to see an overhaul on their design.

-New York Knicks; Orange "NEW YORK" alternate.

-Boston Celtics; St. Patrick's Day Jerseys as alternates.

-Washington Wizards; Black "WIZARDS" Alternate.

-Charlotte Bobcats; Navy Blue "BOBCATS" Alternate.

-Orlando Magic; Silver "MAGIC" Alternate.

-Memphis Grizzlies; Dark Gray "MEMPHIS" Alternate.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

So, according to you, the blue and green jerseys of the Cubs and A's are drab compared to their plain grey road uniforms? If anything the road uniforms are drab compared to their respective alternates.

With the Cubs, I was comparing it to their home uniforms. The pinstripes and Cubs logo are better looking than all blue and the walking cub. I couldn't even tell you what the Cubs road uniform looks like since they wear the blue so often.

As for the A's, I think the green and gold writting really looks great on the road gray. It stands out against the darker color. Also, I like that the grays say "Oakland" on them. It is a civic pride thing.

I stand by my original statement that all alts are ridiculous redesigns, ugly or don't make sense.

NBA

- In general I think the NBA should allow colored home alternates. Why couldn't Denver, Atlanta, NO, or Phoenix wear their secondarys at home against a darker colored team? I see no problem in that.

I don't think that Denver can wear their alternate at home against darker colored team, unless the visiting team wears white becuase Denver's alternate is a really dark shade of blue

So, according to you, the blue and green jerseys of the Cubs and A's are drab compared to their plain grey road uniforms? If anything the road uniforms are drab compared to their respective alternates.

With the Cubs, I was comparing it to their home uniforms. The pinstripes and Cubs logo are better looking than all blue and the walking cub. I couldn't even tell you what the Cubs road uniform looks like since they wear the blue so often.

As for the A's, I think the green and gold writting really looks great on the road gray. It stands out against the darker color. Also, I like that the grays say "Oakland" on them. It is a civic pride thing.

I stand by my original statement that all alts are ridiculous redesigns, ugly or don't make sense.

So I'm going to assume these don't count as alternates in your book:

tml.jpg

ht.jpg

mt.jpg

ptb.jpg

All of which are alternate jerseys, but by no means fit you generalization of alternate uniforms.

Archived