WHA Concept Project

Frylock

Oh, and if anybody out there has NHL 2004 and wants to use these, they're available over at Cyber-NHL.net.

Or, click here for a direct link.

--Eriq.

Good to see the Cowboys were done without the smiley face as well--like they were really done--that looks a lot better!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to see the Cowboys were done without the smiley face as well--like they were really done--that looks a lot better!

Well, the Cowboys unis without the smiley face were based off of the jerseys they wore during the WHA's run...based primarily off images from dropthepucks.com.

But, I agree, they look better without the smiley.

They'd look even better with a less cartoony logo, IMHO. When I get through Frylock's concepts, I may make a series of my own concepts...but that's for another day.

--Eriq.

FWIW, I've posted what will probably (probably, but not definitely! :D) be my last WHA concept. There at the bottom of my index, as seen on page one of this thread, are my WHA All-Star concepts. Thanks to Roger's "Rafales" design for the inspiration for this one!

And thanks again to Eriq for converting these concepts into some amazing VR settings. Just for the fun of it, I'd love to see Mark Messier in one of those Stingers sweaters. :hockeysmiley:

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

WOW!!! Eriq, I owe you a beer (or a soda, your choice.) You have done an amazing job with converting my concepts over to this new format. I am humbled, amazed, and impressed.

I love what you've done with the Breakers and Aces, especially by adding an alt to the Breakers and the overall modification on the Aces jerseys. Furthermore, you did an outstanding job on the Aces road and alt jerseys. Honestly, I would've done the same thing by giving them black pants on the road. Too cool!

And OMG... Those Sharks jerseys are wicked!!! You did an outstanding job with the shark-bite numbers, BTW. That and the Oilers numbers, too. Considering how I did a lot of customized stuff on the WHA concepts, you've done a wonderful job replicating all of the quirks.

Incidentally... I appreciate seeing Brenden Morrow in that Aeros alt jersey. I watched him play junior hockey with the Portland Winter Hawks, and he's one of my favorite NHLers. And is that fellow ex-Winter Hawk Brad Isbister in that Aces road jersey?

Edmonton Oilers Home:

edmhomein.jpg

Edmonton Road:

edmroadin.jpg

And my attempt at duplicating the "lighting" effect on the numbers:

edmhomebin.jpg

edmroadbin.jpg

I think this concept could really work if done in dark navy and copper with no red trim.

As I was going through, I noticed that Frylock never did concepts for the Miami Screaming Eagles, who had signed a few players, but folded due to the lack of a suitable arena in Miami...hopefully, I won't be stepping on anybody's toes by doing this, but I put together a fairly quick concept for the Screaming Eagles 2004...the template is by Cypher over at CyberNHL, and what you're seeing here is a cut-up version of his template for NHL 2004, so it makes a bit more visual sense for those who don't have the game...

Home:

miahomecc.jpg

Road:

miaroadcc.jpg

--Eriq.

Eriq,

As always, fantabulous work! :D And as always, a few comments...

No problem with the Screaming Eagles! It looks outstanding! Not sure what to make of the sleeve and waist trim, but I really like your choice of gold as the secondary color. The only reason I never did a Screaming Eagles concept was because I could never find a good quality logo to use. Of course, Eriq, you have a good quality logo and my e-mail address... (hint-hint! :P)

Wow... Those Stags unis... One of the best things about Eriq's mods and conversions is that I'm now seeing things I don't like about my original concepts and what doesn't work once it's been changed to a 3-D model. For example, I should've added more red to the Stags away (dark) jersey, and those antlers just seem so out of place on the shoulders. Ah... I'd just leave 'em, though...

The Fighting Saints look good. FWIW, I have a cleaned-up version of this with the skating kid's head as the shoulder logo. I never posted it, as it was supposed to be part of the cleaned-up jerseys I was sending to STLFanatic for his site. And is it just me, or does that alt jersey I created (based on the jersey the skating kid logo is wearing) look like a retro Team Sweden jersey without crowns? :therock:

Cool work as always, Eriq! Looking forward to more!

<sniff> :cry: The Fighting Saints. Brings a tear to my eyes. Man, I loved that team when I was a kid.

Nice work. I like the addition of the secondary logo a lot.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived