WHA Concept Project

Frylock

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, wow, wow... I have missed a ton here!

For Eriq's conversions of my originals, I am truly impressed with how the Jets concepts came out -- especially the alt. I have no doubt it was a tricky one to convert. And as always, fantastic work overall.

As for the PWHA concepts, that Milwaukee Black Ice set is wicked!!! I would buy one of those home jerseys in a second! The Dreadnaughts and Schooners are excellent, as well.

But... (and if you've read this thread, you'll know that I haven't said this very often) I take exception to the Portland portion. I admit, PDX is my home territory, so I'm going to scrutinize it to death! :D That being said...

The logo is great -- no complaints there. But the sweaters, I dunno... I'm just not feeling the gray home sweaters or the overall striping pattern. If I had seen Eriq's original post, I would've jumped in with my own creation (still might...) so I really shouldn't complain. ^_^

Also, the ice surface at the Rose Garden should have the RG logo and drop "The" from the wordmark. For sponsors, Fred Meyer would be a more accurate representations of the region. Albertsons is HQ'd in Boise, Idaho. :D

Anyhow, can't wait to see the All-Star teams! Oh, and feel free to convert my Miami concepts any time! :)

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Just a question, sorry if I skimmed by the answer--but why do all these unis havwe WHA on them, besides that they are WHA concepts? I think they'd look better without them--I just may go and download some of these anyway...

I especially like the Schooners--that logo works great on a hockey jersey...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Wow, wow, wow... I have missed a ton here!

For Eriq's conversions of my originals, I am truly impressed with how the Jets concepts came out -- especially the alt. I have no doubt it was a tricky one to convert. And as always, fantastic work overall.

As for the PWHA concepts, that Milwaukee Black Ice set is wicked!!! I would buy one of those home jerseys in a second! The Dreadnaughts and Schooners are excellent, as well.

But... (and if you've read this thread, you'll know that I haven't said this very often) I take exception to the Portland portion. I admit, PDX is my home territory, so I'm going to scrutinize it to death! :D That being said...

The logo is great -- no complaints there. But the sweaters, I dunno... I'm just not feeling the gray home sweaters or the overall striping pattern. If I had seen Eriq's original post, I would've jumped in with my own creation (still might...) so I really shouldn't complain. ^_^

Also, the ice surface at the Rose Garden should have the RG logo and drop "The" from the wordmark. For sponsors, Fred Meyer would be a more accurate representations of the region. Albertsons is HQ'd in Boise, Idaho. :D

Anyhow, can't wait to see the All-Star teams! Oh, and feel free to convert my Miami concepts any time! :)

'Preciate it... that means a lot being that the Black Ice was the first hockey concept I ever did.

BTW Eriq... if you wanted to make the Bradley Center ice more accurate, you could change the sponsors to Aurora Health and the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and take the "Bradley Center" wordmark off the face off circle.

Great job on the jerseys though.

aurora150.gif

Milwaukee_Journal_Sentinel_logo.gif

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Well, I wasn't really striving for accurace with the ice...the main thing I was going for was kind of a regional feel...I may replace the Albertson's ad with Fred Meyer, if that's a better regional advertiser...

Here are a few other examples of the ice I've done...

Chicago Cougars:

chicago.jpg

L.A. Sharks:

lasharks.jpg

Minnesota Fighting Saints:

minnesota.jpg

Winnipeg Jets:

winnipeg.jpg

--Eriq.

I'm impressed! CJOB and the River City Brewing Co.

I'd've replaced the brewing company with an ad for River City Sports perhaps, but still... darn, that's attention to detail Eriq! Well done.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Well, I wasn't really striving for accurace with the ice...the main thing I was going for was kind of a regional feel...I may replace the Albertson's ad with Fred Meyer, if that's a better regional advertiser...

In that case, I'd suggest replacing the Liney ad with Miller, or if you wanted to go the microbrew route, Sprecher. Even though Liney is brewed in MIL nowadays, it's still seen as an "up nort'" beer.

And you could replace the MCTS ad with an ad for Usinger's or Klement's (the sponsor of the Miller Park Racing Sausages). What better way to get a reigonal feel for Milwaukee than beer & brats? (at least for the demographic that would most be into hockey... I'm an exception B) )

sprecher.gif

usingers.jpg

klements.gif

Or else, there's the "other" thing Milwaukee is famous for other than beer:

harley_logo.gif

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Sprecher makes damned fine root beer. Yum.

You should try their cream soda... I used to think cream soda was nasty til I had Sprecher's.

Their real beer ain't half bad either.

snappers_sig.gif

Just a question, sorry if I skimmed by the answer--but why do all these unis havwe WHA on them, besides that they are WHA concepts? I think they'd look better without them--I just may go and download some of these anyway...

Stampman -- That's a good question! I never really addressed it before, so let me preface it with a quote from my introduction in this thread:

I approached the project as if the WHA never folded, and the mindset was that there was no "tradition" in the jerseys, like you would find in the NHL. Additionally, I thought that CCM/Koho wouldn't supply the jerseys, and SP would. Not that it really matters, but I like the little details like that...

Since there's no "tradition" to be bound to, I thought that in my project the WHA might be the first pro hockey league to adopt a wordmark beneath the collar like they have in the NFL. For my concepts, I used the wordmark from the original WHA logo. I agree that the jerseys would look fine without the wordmark, but it's all part of doing something a little different. :)

Eriq -- No problem! What you've done with the logos on the ice is way beyond the call of duty. My God, it's downright incredible!

Being a native Oregonian (a rarity these days) I would definitely replace the Albertsons ad with Fred Meyer's, even though Freddy's is now owned by Cincinnati-based Kroger's. And FWIW, Rogue is a cool choice for a "local" brewery, but I think my first choice would've been Henry Weinhardt's. Founded in Portland, now owned by Anheiser-Busch.

Damn... Do we still own Mt. Hood? Crikey! :rolleyes:

(For the record, Henry's makes the best damn Orange Cream soda on the planet! Like drinkin' a dream-cicle!!!)

Eriq, the ice surfaces are absolutely stunning - this whole project is incredible, simply incredible. Congratulations to you on this fine body of work.

:shocked: Eriq...very very cool jerseys of the WHA ya have made!!! I'm impressed and speechless at this!!! WOW!! Wish I could learn how to do that like ya do.. :notworthy: to ya!!!

I wonder...can that be inserted for NHL 2003 or is it limited to NHL2004?? Is there a way to insert that one?? Let me know...I'm interested... ^_^

The add-ons, as released, won't work with NHL 2003. Theoretically, I could take them and retrofit 'em, but I'm not going to, since the structure of add-ons for the two games is different enough to make it a very big pain in the rear.

Glad you like 'em, though!

Archived