2006 MLS All-Star Game Logo...

Brian in Boston

But how many of Chelsea's stars will actually play? With the Premiership starting 2 weeks after, I highly doubt all of the stars will be playing, unless they use the 6 subs rule. But I guess Chelsea felt they had to add this game since Barca are touring the USA the following week. But Man U is coming over next summer so that's what I'm waiting on. We already know what to expect as far as the All Star jersey. Probably the Aquilla or Libero template and probably in red or yellow since Chelsea will probably be breaking out their new adidas uniforms.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The logo's fine, but the format is terrible. An entire league worth of players against a single team is just rediculous. Nothing but a cheap publicity stunt. It would be much better if it was an east-west or us vs the world format.

VmWIn6B.png

The logo's fine, but the format is terrible. An entire league worth of players against a single team is just rediculous. Nothing but a cheap publicity stunt. It would be much better if it was an east-west or us vs the world format.

I agree. It's a bit of a charade and certainly not a true All-Star Game.

That said, the logo's nice.

If I was a fan of the MLS I'd find it pretty degrading to have the league's All Star team facing off against just one European club side. No-one expects MLS teams to be in the same class, but fans don't need to be reminded so obviously of the fact.

liverpool-1.png

If I was a fan of the MLS I'd find it pretty degrading to have the league's All Star team facing off against just one European club side. No-one expects MLS teams to be in the same class, but fans don't need to be reminded so obviously of the fact.

Yeah, because last year's asg against Fulham clearly showed that MLS couldn't hold their own against a premiership club.

Oh wait, Carlos Bocanegra (formerly of Chicago) and Brian McBride (formerly of Columbus) played for Fulham.

And Fulham lost 4-1.

patriotssignature.png

So a meaningless exhibition game between the east and west conferences isn't?

Playing a top flight side from Europe or South America provides an opportunity for fans to see some of the top teams in the world, lets MLS players get some exposure in foreign leagues, and helps market MLS to a larger fanbase.

You do realize that the NHL all star game once pitted one league team against a team of all stars?

patriotssignature.png

The MLS is no longer trying to attract non-soccer fans. They've tried that and its not very possible in America. Instead, they are now targeting fans of soccer in general. I think after the failures of the non-soccer fans, its a good strategy. Someone that is a fan of soccer would appreciate being able to see a team like Chelsea play.

The is the reason you are seeing more and more european elements come into the MLS game. The least of which is the same numbers for all teams with a MLS logo at the bottom. The re-naming of teams in a european fashion is the most obvious change.

Like I said, I think its for the better. The majority of people that are against some of these things are those that aren't soccer fans, and will hate anything that has to do with the MLS. Yes, some of the new names are lame like Real Salt Lake, but its not unfounded in American Sports or European Soccer. Teams frequently take names, colors, etc. from teams they idolize. The Chicago Bears, for example, wear Orange and Blue because of the University of Illinois. One of the most historic and most respected franchises in the NFL, "stole" their colors.

They could make it American Football and they'd still hate it cause it used to be soccer.

The MLS is no longer trying to attract non-soccer fans. They've tried that and its not very possible in America. Instead, they are now targeting fans of soccer in general. I think after the failures of the non-soccer fans, its a good strategy. Someone that is a fan of soccer would appreciate being able to see a team like Chelsea play.

The is the reason you are seeing more and more european elements come into the MLS game. The least of which is the same numbers for all teams with a MLS logo at the bottom. The re-naming of teams in a european fashion is the most obvious change.

Like I said, I think its for the better. The majority of people that are against some of these things are those that aren't soccer fans, and will hate anything that has to do with the MLS. Yes, some of the new names are lame like Real Salt Lake, but its not unfounded in American Sports or European Soccer. Teams frequently take names, colors, etc. from teams they idolize. The Chicago Bears, for example, wear Orange and Blue because of the University of Illinois. One of the most historic and most respected franchises in the NFL, "stole" their colors.

They could make it American Football and they'd still hate it cause it used to be soccer.

Pat speaks truth.

Amen.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Well said.

patriotssignature.png

I agree with everyone that the logo is well done BUT if it weren't for the MLS logo at the bottom, there wouldn't be a hint that this had anything to do with soccer.

I know not every logo can have a soccer ball in it or the silhouette of a guy kicking a ball, but it seems like something else could have added to the logo proper.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

I only dislike the sponsor placement. The MLS logo tells you it is the MLS All Star game. The MLB All Star Games just put the letters out there with the logo as well so I don't really feel they needed to add unneccesarily to it. The Sierra Mist logo obscures the stadium IMO.

You know....compared to the Euro leagues, MLS is considered minor league Mr. O'Grady :rolleyes::P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Minor league soccer, major league money... Ramsey... that's what I'm talkin' about.

Love the Windy City flag thing though right?

I'm from the part of Illinois that gets treated like a fiefdom by Chicago. So pretty much anything that says "Chicago" is a major turnoff for me in a logo. I also like how we're playing a "Sierra Mist" allstar game. What league are they in?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived