Jets jersey

puckcool22

Being a Jets fan my entire life, I can tell you those were some ugly, ugly games played those years too.  The black in the unies I think lasted from around the early to mid 90's to just before the retro redesign, which I think happened in 98.  

Rich Kotite.

The lighting in that pic is really bad...the green they used was a pretty standard shade:

NEW YORK JETS KELLY GREEN

I'm sorry, but I still maintain that those were the best unis the Jets have ever had...

At the risk of sounding like a regular of this board, I really didn't like the black in the uniforms.  I was very scared they were changing into the Raiders of the East, with some green tossed in for effect.  

I grew up with those jerseys, so it's hard for me not to like them, and I think the green and white is such a unique color in the NFL that makes things all the better.

Personally, I had been hoping that the Jets wouldv'e added Navy Blue instead of Black in those days...I thought that Navy would have been more unique.

Black was already getting out of hand at that point.

i didnt think they had ever worn a jersey template that wasnt the current one or the double sleeve stripe

this doesnt look like any of them, and i have never seen black in their color scheme

this one was basically the 78-89 set with black added(and this was worn from 90-97)...dude here musta cut off one of the stripes. cus standard issue was the double stripes. two good things came out of this: they started wearing green pants and stopped wearing all white at home.

related note: in 97 when parcells took over, the green pants were dumped...and yes, in 98 the return to Broadway Joe's duds.  ever notice that all three teams parcells has coached have made uniform changes?  i don't think he'll add the cowboys to the list, but i'd keep an eye out.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Being a Patriots fan, it's weird for me to talk about the beauty of Jets uniforms. I like the current "retro" version. I don't like the all-green look, though, they look like pine trees and they blend in to the turf.

But I also like the Jets uniforms from that picture. The simple green-and-white look from years previous (the Richard Todd/Al Toon era) was very boring. The black punched up the look just enough to make it more modern. I never thought the black was dominant. It was far less intrusive with the Jets then as it is with the Lions now.

Just because a team adds black does not mean it's a bad thing. Black can add depth and help punch up things better in some instances than a darker shade can. Besides, the Jets' green was already pretty dark, to darken it further would have looked black anyway. If it wasn't black, it would look awkward. If they added blue it would have been a reverse Seahawk kind of thing going on.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I remember one time in the early 90s there was talk of the Jets getting black helmets and uniforms, but supposidly the people who saw them didnt like them and they were spiked.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Personally, I had been hoping that the Jets wouldv'e added Navy Blue instead of Black in those days...I thought that Navy would have been more unique.

Black was already getting out of hand at that point.

The addition of navy would have been a nice nod to their brief history as the NY Titans.

I've been a fan of the Jets for as long as I can recall being a sports fan - Broadway Joe was one cool cat when I was a kid - and I've never seen a Jets uniform I didn't like.  I like the present retro look; I liked the '78-89 uniforms and I didn't mind the '90-97 look either.

Parcells coached the Giants but they didn't change their unis 'til years after he left. I wish the Cowboys WOULD change and go back to the double star jerseys, those were the greatest uniforms in NFL history.

a major change...you'd be right.  a noticeable change...for some reason i've been thinking the giants were still wearing the helmet with the white/red/white stripe and the jerseys the bills stole from em when tuna took over.  (although i also think they were already wearing GIANTS on the helmet)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm of the opinion that the Jets have one of the best, if not the best uniforms in the league right now.  There's no mistaking them, they're unique, but they're not crazy.  Very sharp.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived