Padres honor Negro Leagues

SEMOSTLfan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two questions:

1. Will MLB.com be selling those?

2. If not, where can I get one?

I like them about 5000x more than the "Los Rangers" jerseys. But I'm from Houston, so anything Dallas-related might as well be covered in toxic sludge for all I care.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I like the sox, and I want to know where get those. The Padres should think about using this throwbacks more often. Speaking of throwbacks and Houston, why haven't the Astros woren any of their throwbacks in the past (I think) two years.

And yes, any thing with the Words Dallas on it might as well be caring Bird Flu, to any one from Houston.

TEXASFIGHT.gifAstros-Sig.gifUntitled-1.gifAeros.gif

I too like the unis and wonder if they will be selling the jerseys or caps. I called Petco Park and they said they wouldn't be selling them though :(

I would just like to point out, and im not racist or anything, but negro leauge uni's, but we see in the pictures posted, two white players....just pointing that out....dont me anything by it....its pretty cool by my standers.

Those aren't Negro League uniforms, they were honoring the first African-American to play for the PCL Padres in 1948 by wearing the uniforms from that year. The below quote is from the Padres website:

Saturday's 7:05 p.m. PT matchup with the Cubs marks the Padres' Third Annual Salute to the Negro Leagues. The Padres will sport 1948 Pacific Coast League uniforms in honor of San Diego native Johnny Ritchey, who broke the PCL color barrier while playing for the Padres that season.

Those aren't Negro League uniforms, they were honoring the first African-American to play for the PCL Padres in 1948 by wearing the uniforms from that year.  The below quote is from the Padres website:
Saturday's 7:05 p.m. PT matchup with the Cubs marks the Padres' Third Annual Salute to the Negro Leagues. The Padres will sport 1948 Pacific Coast League uniforms in honor of San Diego native Johnny Ritchey, who broke the PCL color barrier while playing for the Padres that season.

The Cubs' radio broadcast said the same thing -- and I agree that the Cubs should participate in these more. That's at least the second time they've turned down an opportunity in San Diego.

In 2004, the Padres celebrated their NLCS win over the Cubs by wearing the 1984 unis. The Cubs declined to wear their road versions, which is a little bit more understandable than skipping this one -- at least to a Cubs fan.

On TV, these looked nice (yes, I watched with the volume down and chose to listen to Cubs legend Ron Santo on the radio.) AT least the Cubs wore their gray road uniforms that look a lot closer to throwbacks than the blue alts would have.

(P.S. I believe this completes my slow journey to post No. 500. Nov 24/02-May 7/06)

(yes, I watched with the volume down and chose to listen to Cubs legend Ron Santo on the radio.)

I didn't think anyone listened to Ron Santo by choice :D

You would if your other option was Len Kasper and Bob Brenly

(yes, I watched with the volume down and chose to listen to Cubs legend Ron Santo on the radio.)

Ron Santo : Cubs fans :: Mike Shannon : Cards fans

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ron Santo : Cubs fans :: Mike Shannon : Cards fans

agreed, perhaps shannon and santo arent the greatest in the eyes of many but being a cards fan i enjoy shannon because he's THE voice of the Cardinals. Just hearing his voice on the radio makes me think of summer nights.

I'm a Cardinals fan and no I don't like the Cubs but I will admit that sometimes I can pull WGN Radio 720 AM in STL and I rather enjoy listening to Ron Santo call Cubs games simply because of the passion he has for the game and his team.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

The Padres throwbacks look great, particularly the socks. They would be well served to go with that look full time.

As for the comments about Dallas, I don't understand why there are so many people in Houston, Austin and San Antonion who hate Dallas with a passion. I work in Dallas, and I don't give a flip either positively or negatively about the other cities in Texas. They are just cities, like any other cities. So tell me, what is the source of this perceived rivalry?

As for the comments about Dallas, I don't understand why there are so many people in Houston, Austin and San Antonion who hate Dallas with a passion. I work in Dallas, and I don't give a flip either positively or negatively about the other cities in Texas. They are just cities, like any other cities. So tell me, what is the source of this perceived rivalry?

Really don't know, there just is. But I think it mostly has to do with the fans. Most Dallas fans that I have come across have drunken too much of the "America's Team" Kool-Aid. Most Big D fans have big egos and big mouths and no class. Most think that all their teams are better then the Spurs/Rockets/Astros/Texans.

When in the past 15 years, 2 Rockets Championships, 3 Spurs Championships, and Astros' NL Champions. Texans beat the Cowboys in their inaugural game. While yes the Cowboys have won three super bowls, but Mavericks = 0 Championships and few playoff wins, Rangers 0 Championships.

Dallas fans are similar to the one parent in the stands that is drunk and yelling to get his kid in the game. But I will say there are exceptions to the rule, and not all Dallas fans are this bad. And there is always Spurs/Rockets/Astros/Texans fans that are just as bad.

We rivalry will always be there; it is similar to old college Rivalry because the cities are so far apart but in the same state.

TEXASFIGHT.gifAstros-Sig.gifUntitled-1.gifAeros.gif

Archived