Uniform pet peeves

Discrim

teams must allow 5 years between uni changes per NFL rules (which I personally think is kinda dumb).

Is that accurate or is it something new?

The Patriots changed their uniforms four times in nine years (including three years in a row) from 1993 through 2000.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that is a Rule & how long it has been enforced i don't know .

Well Bucco I agree to a point about the lack of Teal I miss it but I do like the Road Jerseys , They have a nice balance with the Teal & White at home & White & Black on the road , they look sharp , plus it helps define that this is the New Era in Jaguars history . , as to how ever long this last , But as for the Black Jersey I like it & the fact they put more gold into it ., I don't like the all black look I just don't I think it would look better if we had the Black top & white pants . the Black Pants without the stripes are bad also .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Well Bucco I agree to a point about the lack of Teal I miss it but I do like the Road Jerseys , They have a nice balance with the Teal & White at home & White & Black on the road , they look sharp , plus it helps define that this is the New Era in Jaguars history . , as to how ever long this last , But as for the Black Jersey I like it & the fact they put more gold into it ., I don't like the all black look I just don't I think it would look better if we had the Black top & white pants . the Black Pants without the stripes are bad also .

Yeah I can see you ClayStation about the "new era" Jags--my other NFL squad (TB/JAX all day!). In a way, I guess just cuz they got black #s with black pants, they do look a lil leaner (well--some of them, to say nothing about Stroud or Henderson--they just big any damn way), but to me it just don't seem like the blank pants style fit those oh-so-cool numerals they use (some of the best in pro sports IMO). Im thinking the striped black pants they used sparingly about two years ago would add a lot of pop with the white tops, especially considering their white pants have stripes.

As for the black top/white pants combo, I'd have to see that to see how it could look. But I bet it wouldn't be bad at all.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Every team from Texas doesnt need to remind the rest of us that theyre based in Texas by incorporating a state flag and/or a Texas shaped patch into their uniform. It's tacky. We'd like to remind Texas that theyre the same as the other 49 states, except for West Virginia. West Virginia is like Australia, only with less teeth and kangaroos.

Every team from Texas doesnt need to remind the rest of us that theyre based in Texas by incorporating a state flag and/or a Texas shaped patch into their uniform. It's tacky. We'd like to remind Texas that theyre the same as the other 49 states, except for West Virginia. West Virginia is like Australia, only with less teeth and kangaroos.

West Virginia has Kangaroos?

Huh... who knew?

QUOTE (bucco_B @ Monday, May 15th, 2006 - 18:43:29)

teams must allow 5 years between uni changes per NFL rules (which I personally think is kinda dumb).

Is that accurate or is it something new?

The Patriots changed their uniforms four times in nine years (including three years in a row) from 1993 through 2000.

That does bring up a good question. Exactly what DOES the NFL consider an actual change? Like when the Rams dropped the side-panels (which I don't believe was 5 years after the new uni) was that a true change, or just a... I dunno... adjustment, or something? In other words, after a team makes a major change, can they live with that uniform for a short period of time, see how it works, and then make a slight change (you know, the kind of thing that only those of us that frequent this board would even notice)? I really think this has happened before... can anybody think of some examples?

Of course, I'm really just hoping that the Vikings will still be allowed to add some road sox to the purple pants look.

That does bring up a good question. Exactly what DOES the NFL consider an actual change? Like when the Rams dropped the side-panels (which I don't believe was 5 years after the new uni) was that a true change, or just a... I dunno... adjustment, or something? In other words, after a team makes a major change, can they live with that uniform for a short period of time, see how it works, and then make a slight change (you know, the kind of thing that only those of us that frequent this board would even notice)? I really think this has happened before... can anybody think of some examples?

I'm just wildly throwin these out there...

Patriots change from 93 to 94: tweak (number colors changed, pants changed)

Patriots change from 94 to 95: jersey overhaul

Packers change from 96 to 97: tweak (# of sleeve stripes reduced from 5 to 3)

Jets change from 04 to 05: tweak (whole sleeve used to be the other color, now only the outer half)

Rams change from 00 to 01: tweak (block numbers replaced by Rams font)

Rams change from 01/02 to 02/03: tweak (removal of side stripes, though I don't remember which year)

Saints change from 95 to 96: major tweaks (socks changed from black/gold/black to solid black, gold lettering replaced the Charger style numbers, and the fleur de lis replaced the map on the jerseys and pants)

Bengals from 96 to 97: notable tweaks (TV number moved to shoulders, bengal added to sleeve, tiger striping altered, socks changed from orange to black)

Steelers from 96 to 97: tweak (shade of gold changed slightly, number font changed, Steeler logo added under left shoulder, road name changed to black for that season only)

Dolphins from 96 to 97: overhaul (new logo, new accent color, uniforms modified accordingly)

Vikings from 95 to 96 (or was it 96 to 97?): half-overhaul (Northwestern striping dropped from home, viking head placed on sleeves, TV numbers on shoulders, names and numbers on both jerseys are outlined in gold)

Oilers early 90s: tweak...the sleeve striping was greatly reduced in size by the time Moon was kicked to the curb

Bills early 90s: tweak...sleeve stripes were reduced from two to one as sleeves began shrinking

heh, most of that is committed to memory ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Every team from Texas doesnt need to remind the rest of us that theyre based in Texas by incorporating a state flag and/or a Texas shaped patch into their uniform.

Actually, I rather enjoy it when Texas does that, or when any other state does that. I like the shaking-hands Twins logo with the state of Minnesota in the background. I like, for example, the Wisconsin state outline on the Brewers' alternate logo.

There are some states that just can't do it. Like Colorado, Wyoming or even my state, North Dakota. So more power to the teams that can do it with their states.

Every team from Texas doesnt need to remind the rest of us that theyre based in Texas by incorporating a state flag and/or a Texas shaped patch into their uniform.

Actually, I rather enjoy it when Texas does that, or when any other state does that. I like the shaking-hands Twins logo with the state of Minnesota in the background. I like, for example, the Wisconsin state outline on the Brewers' alternate logo.

There are some states that just can't do it. Like Colorado, Wyoming or even my state, North Dakota. So more power to the teams that can do it with their states.

Having lived in Texas, I can tell you that NOWHERE will you find more state flags. They're everywhere, at car dealers, homes, on cars...and as you point out, on sports uni's.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Basketball: don't follow it enough to really care.

Football: monochromes, in particular seattle and Buffalo.

Hockey: the current olympic jerseys and future swifties.

while not a current pet peeve, but the ASG where i believe was East/West(i really dont' remember). One wore the Royal Blue and one wore the Dark Maroon. That was murder to watch during the game. It was even worse to play in NHL 2002, it was near impossible to differentiate between my team and the opponent.

Baseball: Grey road jerseys. the only team that really should have a gray road team is team from the 1860's or the CSA national team. i know its tradition but c'mon lets move from the 19th century to the 21st century. but if teams must wear grey, the only ones that really should wear grey is teams with history like the Yankees, Red SOx and White Sox. Teams with no history like the Tampa Devilrays don't need gray roads.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

c'mon lets move from the 19th century to the 21st century

They got it right, though. Progressivism in baseball uniform design leads to Frank Robinson being called "a walking blood clot"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

c'mon lets move from the 19th century to the 21st century

They got it right, though. Progressivism in baseball uniform design leads to Frank Robinson being called "a walking blood clot"

the only problem with that statement is in the NFL, you people complain we should be going BACK to the 20th century :o

West Virginia has Kangaroos?

Huh... who knew?

Yes, the Appalachian Kangaroo (marsupius hilbilius) is found all over West Virginia. This regional species is known for its' large pouch, in which it can carry up to eight babies at once; it also has a unique second pouch on its' upper back, which serves as a sort of kangaroo "gun rack". It subsists on a diet of mainly gopher and squirrel, and is known to produce up to 50 offspring in its' lifetime, usually mating with several siblings throughout adulthood.

Having lived in Texas, I can tell you that NOWHERE will you find more state flags. They're everywhere, at car dealers, homes, on cars...and as you point out, on sports uni's.

But at least Texas has a recognizable state flag. If I were a Texan, I'd be darn proud of it, too.

There are other states that have flags worth bragging about, such as Maryland, New Mexico, Colorado, etc., etc., etc.

Meanwhile, here in North Dakota, we have a state flag that you wouldn't be able to tell from a lot of states except for the words "North Dakota" on the flag. As proud as I am of my state, I do wish we had a different state flag.

Was it a requirement that every new baseball team from 1993-on had to use purple or teal (or both) as a uniform color.

Also, I like letters on the hat, nothing else. No mascot images of any kind. This was also a problem of those last 4 baseball franchises with snakes and manta rays and crap.

You can tell from this I hate everything about the Diamondbacks unis.

Was it a requirement that every new baseball team from 1993-on had to use purple or teal (or both) as a uniform color.

I know teal is overused in sports, but just how many baseball teams use purple?

i am counting 2? Rockies and D-backs?

Is teal really overused in sports? When I think about it, the Jags, Mariners and Marlins should use more of it.

I think the problem is people look at all sports and judge whether a color is used too much. You really need to look at each league individually. For example, purple is overused in the NBA but not so much in the other leagues. Baseball traditionally uses red and blue too much. And then there are the anti-black crowd. I'm so used to other graphics using black as an outlining color, black doesn't set me off like it does to alot of people here. Black used as a trim color is as acceptable as white being a natural part of a teams colors.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

while not a current pet peeve, but the ASG where i believe was East/West(i really dont' remember). One wore the Royal Blue and one wore the Dark Maroon. That was murder to watch during the game. It was even worse to play in NHL 2002, it was near impossible to differentiate between my team and the opponent.

ah, the LA game. that was actually the last year of the North America vs. the World experiment.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived