Blue Jays Logo Concept

Nick 1733

I would just use a dark blue circle for an iris without any silver spike inside it. Well you could still used a the silver spike, just don't use the silver bridge connecting it to the outside of the iris.

--Roger "time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still am not crazy about the eye, but you are the designer and you seem content with it so I'll leave that alone.

My only other comment is the about the outline on the top of the beak right next to the head. The line is just a straight shot across and looks unnatural. Maybe try smoothing that out into a curve so that it flows.

brianurlacher.png

One thing's bugging me about this, and I can't really explain it without using a visual aid.

BlueJayLogoHelp.jpg

The part below the beak and above the beak are disproportionately placed. It looks like he's got a huge recessed forehead.

Also, the thing about a Blue Jay is it's got such great sweeping lines that define the flow from it's beak to its crown.

You've reduced those to a bunch of little sweeping lines that don't function as one to create any flow. (The head shape you've got, which is very much the head shape of the original Toronto logo, is good, but the bump before his beak and the multiple lines within his eyes really break that up.)

Also the black/dk blue line that sweeps backward from a blue jay's eye is one of its striking and powerful features, but it really gets lost among the feathers on your rendition.

You've got artistic talent, Nick, but to create a logo, you need a vision first of how the logo works, flows, is one, etc. etc. into which you work the elements of the animal. It seems you're trying to attack it from the opposite direction, starting with the photo and then trying to create a logo from it.

This is much more difficult, and can easily end up suffering from a lack of direction and inspiration. It's not impossible, and you may well make a logo out of this, but right now, like others have said, it's more an illustration than a logo.

Keep working on it, though, it's really improving. You're not all that far off.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I like it, and I think Torontoans would like it, too. Then again, everything I know about Canadiens comes from Vince McMahon. Like, why are they all evil anti-Americans? But I better not say anymore, because apparently they are all very proficient in applying the Sharpshooter and I have bad knees.

I like it, and I think Torontoans would like it, too. Then again, everything I know about Canadiens comes from Vince McMahon. Like, why are they all evil anti-Americans? But I better not say anymore, because apparently they are all very proficient in applying the Sharpshooter and I have bad knees.

well this is for the World Arena Football League and his World Arena Bowl Champions Rocky Mountain Bluejays

Tell you the truth, IMO, This is flawless, great job!
other than that, this is pretty gosh darn awesome.
Both of them are very,very good
Yeah, the bottom looks lacking, but otherwise, hey, it's great.
Very good, but the beak seems to be too big for the rest of the head.
It's a subtle difference but I think it would make it better. Great job overall.
Looks nice Nick, only thing I would do was to make it look a tad meaner
Great work thus far though, you have a great base to build upon.
I agree, make it look more fierce, it looks great so far.
it does need to look a little fiercer IMO, other than that this is very nice, a huge improvement from what the Jays have now.
They look really good , nice job.
This looks great now. Good job.
but if you choose not to I understand because you have put alot of time and effort into this concept. Very nicely done sir.
WOW...this is a really great logo!! Very original, I love it. The "wave" you put into the neck to cut it off from the rest of the body looks beautiful. Good Job.

The best advice I can give you is this: Everything above this sentence is worthless. It's not critique, it's ego-stroking. Don't listen to it. That's not specific to you, either. It goes for everyone, young or old, novice or pro. I really would rather citizens of the Board post nothing as opposed to trash like that, with no malice intended toward the posters themselves. It's not constructive, and it's almost as invaluable as saying, "This sucks. Quit trying."

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I disagree. If someone works hard on something and it looks pretty good, why not compliment them? There is nothing wrong with telling someone they did a good job. Sure it may not help with his logo, but some people may feel the logo is already good, and are congratulating him on his work so far.

Sure it may not help with his logo...

You have proven my point. Ultimately, design is about the process and product. Compliments have nothing to do with either.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Andrew, while I agree with you that it doesn't help, they are compliments. Everyone likes to get compliments on their work. You may think it is not as good as what others think it is, thats your own opinion. You also have to remember that the vast majority of this board are mainly observers, not trained or self taught in the art of graphic design. Thus, they tend to over simplify and say "It's good" or "It sucks".

Honestly, how much harm if any can a compliment do?

P.S. I have mixed feelings about this logo. Phil pretty much stole the words from my mouth on how I feel it should be improved.

bluejays-2.gif

This one is my favorite because the eyes look more natural. In the newer ones you are making the eyes too busy and distorted

There's no doubt it's a good logo. I'm not going to nit about anatomical correctness because for one it's a logo and for another I think if you gave a damn about perfect anatomical correctness you'd have popped open a reference book already. I honestly don't know what to say other than I like it, because there's no artistic pointers I can give at this point.

cttdolphins2.png

Sure it may not help with his logo...

You have proven my point. Ultimately, design is about the process and product. Compliments have nothing to do with either.

If you would have qouted me further you would have seen that I said that because some people feel the logo is already good, therefore there is no reason to add further criticism to help with his logo. If no one ever gives compliments, how are you ever going to know if you have a good logo? Of course criticism is important, but if he uses all the criticism and makes a logo that is amazing, he deserves a compliment. Otherwise, who is to say whether his logo is good or not.

No, no. Giving compliments is a fine and gentlemanly practice, especially when they are deserved. What I'm saying is that, as a designer, they have no value to me, personally. Because compliments are hard to ignore, though, I would rather people not comment on my work unless they have a suggestion to improve it. I can tell when it's good. I want to know what's not working so I can make it better. Does that make more sense?

No, no. Giving compliments is a fine and gentlemanly practice, especially when they are deserved. What I'm saying is that, as a designer, they have no value to me, personally. Because compliments are hard to ignore, though, I would rather people not comment on my work unless they have a suggestion to improve it. I can tell when it's good. I want to know what's not working so I can make it better. Does that make more sense?

well that makes sense to me.

I just thought I'd mention that I'm still doing some tweaking and will post the final product soon.

Yes that makes sense. Nick I'm looking forward to your next logo.

Archived