A Dome for Cleveland!?

gueman

I don't know how this slipped through the cracks here but check this out. http://www.newsnet5.com/news/9258709/detail.html

Sure there are more questions than answers. My question is how could this get done in one off season? I can't believe they could still do the construction on this type of structure during the season. I bet it is a pipe dream much like the move during the 80's by the Japanese firm to convert open airs to domes by using large blimp type structures on giant support columns.

Here is a site that has a better photo of the concept. http://www.superbowlforcleveland.com/

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

No NO NO

Cleveland needs to be outdoors forever

Exactly. That was one of the advantages of old Municipal Stadium, the swift, swirling winds off Lake Erie. Muni Stadium was a true home field advantage. With Cleveland Browns Stadium, it's on the lake, but doesn't have an open side like Municipal Stadium. DO NOT make the Browns play in a dome. BAD IDEA CLEVELAND!!!

The NFL is the pimp, and each franchise is its b*tch.

What some teams will do just to get a Super Bowl... :rolleyes:

Nope, the cities and states that fork over hundreds of millions of taxpayers' dollars to build these fat cats their stadiums are the real b*tches. Having professional teams in your city might be great for bragging rights, but it does little in the grand scheme of things. There are better things public funds can be spent on than building a stadium that the public has no access to. I say that if the public pays to build a stadium or any other building- they have a right to use it. It seems pointless to build a stadium just to be able to host a one time sporting event that cannot be guarenteed to return. (Silverdome, Metrodome)

Personally I hate the ideas of the Super Bowl being (a) on a neutral site, and (B) required to be in either a dome or warm weather climate. Since there's usually 2 weeks between the conference championships and the Super Bowl, I say hype the hell out of it and have it at the team with the better record, regardless of if its to be held in Florida, Texas, Green Bay, Buffalo, or Cleveland. I like the idea of a potential snowbound Super Bowl.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

If Cleveland builds the dome, it will be another Mistake by the Lake

What was the first???

Municipal Stadium.

They attempted to get the 1932 olympic games, they eventually went to Los Angeles (LA Coliseum) and Cleveland was stuck with a huge 90,000 seat stadium. So the Indians would play in the 'Mistake by the lake' and even if they had attendance of 40,000, the place looked like the team had only won 2 games during the whole season.

They attempted to get the 1932 olympic games, they eventually went to Los Angeles (LA Coliseum) and Cleveland was stuck with a huge 90,000 seat stadium. So the Indians would play in the 'Mistake by the lake' and even if they had attendance of 40,000, the place looked like the team had only won 2 games during the whole season.

Not to mention when the Indians would draw 1,300 in the early 1990s... :D

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Nope, the cities and states that fork over hundreds of millions of taxpayers' dollars to build these fat cats their stadiums are the real b*tches. Having professional teams in your city might be great for bragging rights, but it does little in the grand scheme of things. There are better things public funds can be spent on than building a stadium that the public has no access to. I say that if the public pays to build a stadium or any other building- they have a right to use it. It seems pointless to build a stadium just to be able to host a one time sporting event that cannot be guarenteed to return. (Silverdome, Metrodome)

I stand corrected.

Just as a side note, your inclusion of the Metrodome in this analogy is horribly misguided... For one, it didn't cost "hundrids of millions of dollars." That's part of the reason it is being replaced. It was built on the cheap, at a cost of $55 million dollars (under the origional estimate of $68 million - even though that is the number you will see more often associated with the cost of the dome, but according to the Metrodome site, the $55 million figure is accurate).

Also, since it is not owned by either the Twins or Vikings, but the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, it truly is a public stadium in every sense of the word. It is used for not only the Vikes and Twins, but Gopher football and baseball, small college football and baseball, high school football and baseball, and anyone else that wants to rent the dome for baseball, football or softball games.

In fact, I once read that between February and April, there are over 300 baseball and softball games played in the Metrodome! Some softball tournaments will rent the dome for an entire weekend, and play 24 hours a day...

I don't know, I'd say that $55 million city and state investment is getting used quite a bit by the general public...

Moose

I would love to see, one day before the end of my lifetime, a Super Bowl played in a colder-climate city, especially great football towns like Green Bay, Denver, Pihiladelphia, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc.

I would love to see, one day before the end of my lifetime, a Super Bowl played in a colder-climate city, especially great football towns like Green Bay, Denver, Pihiladelphia, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc.

I'm assuming you mean an colder-climate outdoor stadium (as Detroit seems like it would have fit last year, and I have to assume you're more than 3 months old :P

Moose

Just as a side note, your inclusion of the Metrodome in this analogy is horribly misguided... For one, it didn't cost "hundrids of millions of dollars." That's part of the reason it is being replaced. It was built on the cheap, at a cost of $55 million dollars (under the origional estimate of $68 million - even though that is the number you will see more often associated with the cost of the dome, but according to the Metrodome site, the $55 million figure is accurate).

Also, since it is not owned by either the Twins or Vikings, but the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, it truly is a public stadium in every sense of the word. It is used for not only the Vikes and Twins, but Gopher football and baseball, small college football and baseball, high school football and baseball, and anyone else that wants to rent the dome for baseball, football or softball games.

In fact, I once read that between February and April, there are over 300 baseball and softball games played in the Metrodome! Some softball tournaments will rent the dome for an entire weekend, and play 24 hours a day...

I don't know, I'd say that $55 million city and state investment is getting used quite a bit by the general public...

Moose

I think you're missing the point which is a community should not have to foot the bill for a facility that benefits the very few. I think it's a sad situation when a city builds a state-of-the-art facilty under the threat of losing the rights to a sports team, and even then the only way one could enjoy such a facilty is by paying said team an additional large sum of money for the right to sit in it for a few hours.

Just a note $55 million then, is not $55 million now, nor could you build even a Metrodome-quality stadium for that price today. Maybe $55 million today doesn't sound like so much, but it's still taxpayers money that shouldn't be built on what amounts to a largely private facilty to be used for a private business. The facilty would not be free for public use nor would it be conceivable for most people to have the funds for even renting it. The point is if the public pays for it, it should belong to the public and not the owners of a sports team to do with as they please. If they want that they should raise their own capitol to invest in said facilty. Otherwise they should only be allowed to lease it for their game use and have it free for others to use the rest of the time.

Any domed stadium built today would indeed run you into the hundreds of millions, and if you're building in the hope of attracting a sporting event be it a Super Bowl, Olympics, or anything else, you take the risk of a very big disappointment. And as for a faclity like the Metrodome, We have all heard on numerous occations both the Vikings and Twins threatening their existence over said facilty. The Vikes threatning to move out of town (and still are), and the Twins being threatened with both moving AND contraction by the league itself. Oddly enough the Minnesota government just passed a bill to fund for a new stadium for the Twins, and I seriously doubt you'll be seeing very many softball games held there. It is this type of stress that I'm talking about. The "build us a stadium- or else" mentality.

The Browns currently have a brand new stadium, and now we're hearing such nonsense as building a dome to get a game that cannot be promised to them, nor could be assured of a multiple occourance even if they did. It is a pipe-dream at best. The people of Cleveland do not need a domed stadium nor host a Super Bowl and neither to the Browns.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The key point to what Bleujayone is saying is that taxpayers should not pay of a facility that benefits very few people. It's one thing for a government pay for, say a auto manufaturing facility that creates hundreds of full-time jobs, not just, in the plant itself, but in other industries as well. As sports facility would create just as many construction jobs, but there would not be as many long-term, full-time jobs offered to the locals.

Oh give me a dome....

Under where the Brownies will roam

And one day

A Super Bowl is played...

I saw, I came, I left.

I think you're missing the point which is a community should not have to foot the bill for a facility that benefits the very few...

No, I understand what you're saying. I don't think you understand that the Twins and Vikings are not the only ones who have benefitted from the Metrodome over the last 25 years. Being publicaly owned, in fact, is what has led to the Twins and Vikings asking for new stadiums, however, it has benefitted the general public by making the facility "open to the public."

And, I have no doubt that there will be no softball games at the new Twins stadium. I'm not saying that that is a good thing, just that your inclusion of the Metrodome in your origional post was misguided, as it implied that it was built strictly "for" a Super Bowl, or to line the pockets of the Twins and Vikings, when that couldn't be farther from the truth (concsidering neither control concessions, parking, etc.).

Moose

How many did they draw when they sold out 455 games in a row?

An MLB record. :winner:

... and how many of those 455 sellouts were at Municipal Stadium? Thought so.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived