Columnist: "What's so great about soccer?"

officeglenn

Actually it wasnt

You had a ref that looked like he had money on the game and wanted to be the star attracation. You had the Italian team acting linke they were dead if an American came close to them, and you had a goal disallowed for the stupidest reason ever.

Its the imperfections that make sport fantastic! (Even though the disallowed goal was a correct decision) And there are times when even a limelight hogging ref can't spoil the efforts and skills of a great game.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the addition of broadcast channels, this might be a good time for an experiment I'd love to see someone try. (Or maybe ESPN could use its multiple channels).

Take a U.S. World Cup match and offer:

On one channel, broadcasting by people who know the game and really explain it well to those of us who aren't soccer literate.

On another channel, typical empty-headed sportscasters botching things up and satisfying neither the neophyte nor the knowledgable.

On a third channel, commentary for the serious soccer fan (or maybe just a translation of a Euro feed).

Prediction: fans would start at 2, gradually find 1, learn more and after the course of time, all end up at 3.

Unless you try it and consider it broccoli.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

officeglenn,

Looks like you made it to the letters page in the Sun - here's a link to the letters for June 19. They always have a very constructive response to their letters, don't they :)

In case the link isn't permanent, here's the letter:

RE: "WHAT'S so great about soccer" by Kerry Diotte, June 15. Seventy-five words on why soccer is great? Done. Creativity. Speed. Skill. Passion. Pride. Diving saves. Extra time. Tense penalty shootouts. Joyful victory. Agonizing defeat. Sound like another sport we know? Just because you don't like the game and have a soapbox to shout it from doesn't give you the right to dump on it. Let us have our fun in peace.

Glenn Cook

(He has his opinion. You have yours.)

I'm in the "I get excited for the World Cup and that's just about it with soccer" camp. Its like the olympics. For the most part I could not care less about a majority of the Olympic sports but every 4 years (Summer games especially) you can't help but get sucked in. I respect the game and those who play it, but it comes every 4 years I watch it and get all into it, then its over and then soccer doesn't matter for the next four years. The drama is fantastic in a World Cup game, but a Real Salt Lake vs. FC Dallas clash, not so much. The staunch nationalism and pride of the World Cup is far more interesting and entertaining than the game itself. The best part about soccer is the awesome video games it allows for.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I don't know what alternate universe you live in, TCR, if you think most of the ink over the years in the US about soccer has been glowing and positive. (Nor do I understand why you seem to have made it your personal mission on here to tear down soccer in nearly every thread on here. Then again, you pretty much only post negative stuff anyway.)

In the last 12 to 15 years, it seems like there's been a real hard sell for soccer, at least in schools. Soccer was just kind of thrust upon us as being The Greatest Sport We Could Possibly Play, and even in 2nd grade, I wasn't too jazzed about it. Still, I just cannot get into the sport, and the hectoring soccer fans just make it worse. "PASSION! BEAUTY! CREATIVITY! HEART! DEDICATION! THIS IS WHAT MAKES SOCCER GREAT! SOCCER IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GAME!" Okay. What does this even mean? What makes a sporting event "beautiful"? It makes as much sense to me as calling a supermodel "hard-fought." Fluid motion? That's in like any sport. Do you just mean the Brazilians are hot? I don't get it. At the conclusion of a game, no matter the sport, I'll probably say "that game was good," or "that game sucked," or "that game was pretty intense." I even watched some of Australia-Brazil, and conceded that there were some good moments in the match. But I've never said "wow, that game was beautiful." It's not a beauty contest, and even if it was, soccer would lose, because come on, what's beautiful about Italians feigning injury?

I'm pretty sure I don't bash soccer in every thread, by the way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't know what alternate universe you live in, TCR, if you think most of the ink over the years in the US about soccer has been glowing and positive.  (Nor do I understand why you seem to have made it your personal mission on here to tear down soccer in nearly every thread on here.  Then again, you pretty much only post negative stuff anyway.)

In the last 12 to 15 years, it seems like there's been a real hard sell for soccer, at least in schools. Soccer was just kind of thrust upon us as being The Greatest Sport We Could Possibly Play, and even in 2nd grade, I wasn't too jazzed about it. Still, I just cannot get into the sport, and the hectoring soccer fans just make it worse. "PASSION! BEAUTY! CREATIVITY! HEART! DEDICATION! THIS IS WHAT MAKES SOCCER GREAT! SOCCER IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GAME!" Okay. What does this even mean? What makes a sporting event "beautiful"? It makes as much sense to me as calling a supermodel "hard-fought." Fluid motion? That's in like any sport. Do you just mean the Brazilians are hot? I don't get it. At the conclusion of a game, no matter the sport, I'll probably say "that game was good," or "that game sucked," or "that game was pretty intense." I even watched some of Australia-Brazil, and conceded that there were some good moments in the match. But I've never said "wow, that game was beautiful." It's not a beauty contest, and even if it was, soccer would lose, because come on, what's beautiful about Italians feigning injury?

Ya buddy, your missing the point here, oh man your not good with symbolic terms are you,

nhl - coolest game on earth??

nba - i love this game??

i do have to agree with mockba, you do bash a lot.

Its the imperfections that make sport fantastic! (Even though the disallowed goal was a correct decision) And there are times when even a limelight hogging ref can't spoil the efforts and skills of a great game.

That's not imperfection, that's a mark against the sport. What's one of the biggest marks against the NBA? Officiating. What was the biggest gripe about the Super Bowl (other than the halftime entertainment)? Officiating. What's the defining image from the USA-Italy match? (1) McBride's bloody face (1a) Very visible officiating (for not the right reasons) You connecting the dots yet?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I don't know what alternate universe you live in, TCR, if you think most of the ink over the years in the US about soccer has been glowing and positive.  (Nor do I understand why you seem to have made it your personal mission on here to tear down soccer in nearly every thread on here.  Then again, you pretty much only post negative stuff anyway.)

Anyone reading my words right now should go back and read Pat's post again. It was excellent. His eloquence was touching, and indicative of the open-minded, intelligent, respectful guy I know he is. Sometimes people come along into a thread and put it perfectly.

Now, here is what I want you to know. If you hate soccer, find it stupid, and think we are all idiots for loving it, I don't care about you or your opinion, and you must feel the same about mine. If you are that close-minded I'm not going to waste my time on someone I don?t respect.

TCR, yes, you do bash all of the time. Sometimes its soccer, sometimes its people individually, but mostly you just make yourself look foolish, arrogant, and asholy.

But, to directly address you most recent post:

Soccer is not being forced on anyone. It is being presented to school kids that same way as any of the other 8 or 10 sports kids play is being presented. That?s one of the good things about soccer; kids as young as 18 months can play some version of it.

What does it mean that soccer is the beautiful game? Because its format allows and demands creativity. In baseball, the rules are very restrictive; You must throw the ball to the batter, he must stand in a box to swing, he must run exactly 90 feet long a line on the ground to a 1 square foot area and stay there till someone else stands in that box and hits the ball. There is VERY little creativity. In football, you must go in one direction, in a certain number of set plays. They line up, try one thing, and if it fails, everyone stops. Stands around, then gathers back up to try again. Soccer, like hockey, lacrosse, hurling, ringette, etc allows players to attack and counterattack, move across the field, cross fields, continuous motion, defense becomes offense immediately, no one stops, everyone can use creativity.

The beautiful part is also the way attacks can generate. Momentum gradually builds up, the ball moves around, and you can just fell that something is about to happen. The atmosphere becomes electric and then all of a sudden a couple good breaks a nice set of passes, and BAM, there it is, a beauty goal.

Soccer is not the only game with beauty, it is just one of them. But it is my favorite game of beauty.

It makes as much sense to me as calling a supermodel "hard-fought."

That sounds like your lack of ability to comprehend rather than the attribute being untrue.

Seriously, either watch it and try to feel it, or give up and quit bitching.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Maybe I just seek out creativity elsewhere, and prefer structure for my sports. I see what you're getting at, with there being fewer parameters to work within in soccer, but I like the fact that baseball is really just a series of events and their outcomes, whereas soccer is just lots of movement up and down the pitch. I've tried to watch some highlight reels of impressive goals and so forth, and I've been duly impressed, but I'm just not using the adjective "beautiful" for them. I think it's pretty cool, but I'm not swooning or anything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm backing TCR here. I don't like soccer. I find it boring, therefore I will not watch it. You can send me all the soccer experts in the world, and I still won't care. In really sports, you can tell who is winning by the yards per play, strikeouts, shooting percentage, and so on. In soccer, what do you have? Kicking. And running. A friend of mine had something to say about the USA game the other day: "They are playing on a field as big as Arkansas and the goal is as big as my house. Still, no one ever scores."

You say soccer players run the field, run into each, get hurt, and all that jazz. To that I ask you: have you ever played football? Try tackling a 220 lb fullback. I dare you. I say there is nothing better than lining up behind the center, taking the snap, dropping back, and launching a pass right over the defender's head into your receiver's hand. And many times, it happens more than once a game! To both teams even!

And the people not playing the ball in soccer? Standing around. So don't give me that crap about non-stop action when half the team is 20 yards away doing nothing.

Some say that they lose respect for me because I don't like soccer. Using that logic, if you don't like the things I like, you don't deserve my respect.

Soccer is boring and not exciting. My life would be better if I never saw a soccer ball again.

And the people not playing the ball in soccer? Standing around. So don't give me that crap about non-stop action when half the team is 20 yards away doing nothing.

When the Wide Reciever and Cornerback hug each other for a running play away, they are really involved in the action huh?

All the players on a kick off don't run to the ball in football. They spread themselves out. Same thing in soccer. Or hockey when the left wing just "stands" along the boards at the blue line.

These stupid little arguements can be made about any sport.

And I've tackled a 220lb full back. I've pancaked a 300lb defensive linemen. I've pulled to kick out a linebacker that knew I was coming 16 times in a row at full speed. I know football is a tough sport. But the jarring hits in full padding I recieved on a regular basis were just as rough as some of the contact I recieved in soccer, playing baseball regularly, or even basketball. Running full speed kicking a ball and someone slide takles into your ankle when you aren't ready for it. A spike to an unprotected part of your leg. Or taking a 90 mph fastball to the sholder. Or ball in the dirt to the cup or wrist. Maybe something as simple as a jammed finger in basketball. The roughness of a sport isn't what makes it great. Because if it did, Rugby, Aussie Rules, and Ultimate Fighting or Mixed Martial Arts would be the most popular sports in the world, not American Football.

You can tell who's "winning" in the "fake" sport of soccer with the goals, time of posession, shots, shots on goal, the same stuff you can in hockey. And when do stats ever tell the whole story of who wins and loses anyway? How many games are won by the team with less total yards, more errors, less time of posession?

In all seriousness...how many NFL games are determined by former soccer players anyway? :D

When the Wide Reciever and Cornerback hug each other for a running play away, they are really involved in the action huh?

All the players on a kick off don't run to the ball in football. They spread themselves out. Same thing in soccer. Or hockey when the left wing just "stands" along the boards at the blue line.

These stupid little arguements can be made about any sport.

And I've tackled a 220lb full back. I've pancaked a 300lb defensive linemen. I've pulled to kick out a linebacker that knew I was coming 16 times in a row at full speed. I know football is a tough sport. But the jarring hits in full padding I recieved on a regular basis were just as rough as some of the contact I recieved in soccer, playing baseball regularly, or even basketball. Running full speed kicking a ball and someone slide takles into your ankle when you aren't ready for it. A spike to an unprotected part of your leg. Or taking a 90 mph fastball to the sholder. Or ball in the dirt to the cup or wrist. Maybe something as simple as a jammed finger in basketball. The roughness of a sport isn't what makes it great. Because if it did, Rugby, Aussie Rules, and Ultimate Fighting or Mixed Martial Arts would be the most popular sports in the world, not American Football.

You can tell who's "winning" in the "fake" sport of soccer with the goals, time of posession, shots, shots on goal, the same stuff you can in hockey. And when do stats ever tell the whole story of who wins and loses anyway? How many games are won by the team with less total yards, more errors, less time of posession?

In all seriousness...how many NFL games are determined by former soccer players anyway? :D

Yes, but the WR and CB are doing something. usually the WR blocks, and the CB tries to make the tackle. But I may be wrong. I haven't played in 3 years.

The players do not all run to the ball, but they all run. They don't just chill and wait for the ball to come to them.

I'm not saying roughness is the key to a good sport. I'm saying that soccer is not as rough in comparison to other sports. In football, can have every little leg injury you can get in soccer, plus about a million more.

Basically, what I was saying with the arguement on stats is that other sports have them. Many in fact. You named probably every stat in soccer. That's it. You're gonna say "well hockey is the same thing!" to which I say "Hockey has fights. And they score more than once in a blue moon. Therefore, I don't hate it."

And to your statement on kickers? You are 100% right. They are FORMER soccer players. They've seen the light.

This is just sheer ignorance of the game, BigBen. A wise man once sad a closed mind is a small one. You have a very small one. In fact, I shall call you little ben from now on.

Little Ben, no one on the field, save goalies, is ever standing still. EVER. I wish they'd show a blimp view of the game. I've played every position on the field (again, save goalie) and I can tell you with honesty that one never stands. Ever. It is all various speed of running. When a forward has the ball, and is penetrating the offensive half, the other forward runs along with him, to stay even, or a couple yards ahead to be a pass. The midfielder follow up behind, to provide a drop pass. Another midfielder will take off on a sprint, overlapping his run to allow a through ball. Another mid fielder runs along behind the second forward to provide a quick outlet pass. The defense is sprinting up, pushing the opposing offense out of their side of the field. The opposing O is sprinting along with them, trying to stay ahead of them for fear of an offsides call.

The sport with the MOST running, and the LEAST standing is soccer. Period. Football is a TON more standing. The huddle, the count before the play, the Safety, the WRs and CBs on a short running play. I played football through my youth. I played baseball at a competitive level. I walked on the Georgia Tech baseball team. Soccer takes far more fitness from every single player on the field than football and baseball.

The field is largely the same size as a football field with the same number of people playing on it. And if your friend lives in a house that is 8 feet tall by 24 feet wide, I'm glad you are friends with him. He needs a place to sleep, go to the bathroom, and keep his fridge and his couch. Your friend is as big of an idiot as you are.

And to your statement on kickers? You are 100% right. They are FORMER soccer players. They've seen the light.

Former because they couldn?t make it as soccer players. No famous soccer player has ever quit soccer to play football. They are mostly all college players who couldn?t make it at the next level, so they fall back to kicking in American football. You?ve got it backwards, again.

Soccer is not boring; you are too uneducated about it to appreciate it.

My life would be better if I never saw a soccer ball again.

Life would be better if we never saw you again.

TCR, I completely 100% understand having a preference for one game or another. I will never begrudge someone preferring other sports. I'm not huge on NBA basketball. I wouldn?t want someone trashing me because for it. But I respect the game, the athletes, and know it is fully and completely a real game. I just don?t feel a connection with it, and that?s fine. Recognizing that there are good and fun and athletically amazing parts of a game is enough. I may be evangelizing soccer, but I don?t expect anyone to fall in love with it based on my words. I don?t even really expect someone to watch it (though I think if you did enough, you'd start to appreciate it more and even like it) I just think people who try to pretend it isn?t a real sport, or it somehow takes less athleticism or passion, or who think people who like it have something wrong with them... well, I want to call them out as morons, in case someone else in their life hasn?t already done it for them.

For the record, I appreciate your sensible and reasonable exchange over the past couple posts. Thank you

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Paynomind rules, man you basically took the words right out of mind, really, no one says you have to like soccer, but when people say soccer is for girls/wimps/sissy's, that all soccer players are all theatrical divers, that it takes no skill, no fitness, a whole lot of standing, a whole lot of nothing, now that pisses me off.

Going back to the initial writer of this article, he clearly is an idiot, his opinions do not have to apply to an entire nation, and my opinions don't have to apply to everyone else, but if you don't like the sport, then fine, don't like it, but don't waste my time by pointing out your ignorance.

And paynomind, I always thought that the term "the beautiful game" goes beyond the game itself, but I thought it was about the fans, the passion that they exude, the sportsmanship, the shirt exchanges, the party atmosphere, and to my knowledge soccer is the only thing that brings a country together..(see Liberia).

Ok, I've played hockey and baseball all my life, and I've always been in good enough shape to play those sports at the best of my abilities. I may be tired after a game of hockey, but I'm never grasping for breath (unless my defence decides they don't feel like showing up that game <_< ). I have, however, been grasping for breath more times then not when I've finished a game of soccer. Trust me Ben, you have to be in excellent shape to play soccer.

The sport with the MOST running, and the LEAST standing is soccer. Period. Football is a TON more standing. The huddle, the count before the play, the Safety, the WRs and CBs on a short running play. I played football through my youth. I played baseball at a competitive level. I walked on the Georgia Tech baseball team. Soccer takes far more fitness from every single player on the field than football and baseball.

I wouldn't argue much on that. It take more fitness to play soccer than football because the play is more or less continuous for 45 minutes in each half. You're not just stopping for five minutes waiting for the commercials to end, then get back to play. (except for halftime)

I also want to add the point that I once heard that an average NFL game has 30 minutes of actual playing time done in three hours. Maybe that's way some people don't like soccer. You don't as many opportunities to grab a bite from the fridge or go to the bathroom.

I saw, I came, I left.

Things I love about soccer:

-The energy at the stadiums. The chants, the implied history of it all.

-Obviously the very athletic and cool highlights

-the uniforms and very "unamerican" design elements on display.

- the video games....always a great way to learn players and game theory.

It's something that as an open-minded guy I wish I was really into. It has that grace to it, but a foreign grace. Like, if I didn't grow up with it, I'd be a total poser if I started now. Like going to a Metallica show this summer and having it be your first and then talking about it nonstop. Implying rather clumsily via metaphor that everyone could tell my soccer street creds were not in order. Ya know? That's what keeps me at arms length.

With that said, I also totally understand what turns people off of it. The FIFA game has a cocktail of all the things we (as Americans) hate about all of our own sports/selves. It's got the pacing and goofiness of baseball. DH or no DH..different sized fields wha? In less you embrace the odd things like no digital clock mechanism, and offsides as loveable timeless quirks then you probably are going to be driven nuts by those things. The officiating oddities and flopping of the NBA...the corruption at high levels of let's say.......boxing? Just this week FIFA had to pay some team to play or risk a forfeit cause some guys hadn't been paid by their country or something.

I, for one, can get past that stuff. I've recently delved into NASCAR...which in theory I hate. But a very good friend of mine talked about it with such love and glee in his eyes I was helpless to resist. People are very moldable...ever changing and I encourage anybody to try to see something through someone else's eyes. It's exhilerating to share somebody else's joy. And truth be told....it's easier than the alternative. Hate takes WAY too much time and energy.

I guess I just need a really devout soccer buddy before I take the plunge.

And I think it's going to help me be a better dad too.....cause at some point she is going to LOVE something I think is insipid. And if I'm practiced in putting aside all preconceptions and just enjoy that she enjoys it.....well that's somethin.

Allow me ONE crabby disclaimer though ok? Soccer is the world's sport for one reason. Economics. THere is no shame in this AT ALL. But it's status as the most played game on the planet is simply because of access...not soley on how old it is or how awesome it is. Golf is old, not to mention complicated and revered too, but it's cost prohibitive and elitist. Penniless Irish kids can play soccer in the alley with a can, as easily as penniless African kids or Haitian kids or Argentinian kids can with rocks or a $3 community ball they all share. Americans are more well-rounded, but spoiled and sour on it because of affluence. They can choose skiing or paintball or football or hockey or anything because in general we are all filthy rich. This is not an indictment of soccer, nor an endorsement. But let's please all see the forest for the trees and agree on the reason why it's the world's game.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Yup, it is the world game because of economics, and also simplicity, all you need is 5 things, a ball and 4 objects to make two nets, basketball is also cheap to play, but its not simple to set up, (hoop), volleyball is simpler to set up, but it has far too much rules compared to street soccer. Soccer is by far the worlds most easiest sport to pick up, with minimum rules and minimum everything.

It is also the one sport where size ,weight etc. really doesn't matter.Another point is that drugs cannot make you a better player - steroids etc have no effect as they so obviously do in other sports,so that when a goal scoring record is broken nobody immediately thinks "Must be taking something..".

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

With the addition of broadcast channels, this might be a good time for an experiment I'd love to see someone try. (Or maybe ESPN could use its multiple channels).

Take a U.S. World Cup match and offer:

On one channel, broadcasting by people who know the game and really explain it well to those of us who aren't soccer literate.

On another channel, typical empty-headed sportscasters botching things up and satisfying neither the neophyte nor the knowledgable.

On a third channel, commentary for the serious soccer fan (or maybe just a translation of a Euro feed).

Prediction: fans would start at 2, gradually find 1, learn more and after the course of time, all end up at 3.

Unless you try it and consider it broccoli.

I get both ESPN and Univision on my cable, and watching the matches, I've noticed something about the announcing. The American ESPN announcers, even the former soccer players, are not great, and even if they understand the game, they aren't engaging. As a casual soccer fan, I feel like I understand more of the Spanish (which I don't speak) than the English. The Mexican broadcast team announces with passion. I know it's the subject of many jokes, and the GOOOOOLLL screaming is funny to some, but The Americans don't have the same passion that they have. ESPN's conservative, British announcers also are more engaging than the Americans. They analyze replays, don't defend Bruce Arena, and really get into the game. I have actually watched most of the matches on Univision now.

I think it translates onto the pitch as well. While we may play baseball and hockey with passion, it's because there's a history there. Our soccer teams don't have deep rivalries or legendary performances because they haven't been around for as long. Someone on another page mentioned the popularity of Cricket and Sumo in Asian countries, and how we can't understand it. I'm sure most French or Nigerians or Argentinians don't understand how we call Baseball our national pastime. That's because it's something Americans are born into. The same applies to us and soccer. Seeing the world cup, I can't help but believe that I've missed out on something by being born in Illinois, not Barcelona.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Archived