Columnist: "What's so great about soccer?"

officeglenn

This kind of discussion goes beyond soccer. Americans probably don't understand how passionate Indian and Pakistanians are about cricket or Japanese are towards sumo wrestling.

Good point.

What are the non-Japanese sumos called? Every time sumo is on ESPN, it seems to be a bunch of tattooed, hairy Eastern Europeans with buzzcuts -- with pink or baby blue [straps? thongs?]. They tend to look more like Zangief than E. Honda, and it's pretty funny.

All the same, I've heard that non-Japanese are getting better and better at sumo and taking over the sport. I wonder what the reaction will be.

And to make this on-topic, it'd be pretty funny to watch sumo wrestlers play soccer.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a sports fan - right now I'm following the NBA Finals (come on Mavs, wtf?), the Stanley Cup, and the World Cup. All are exciting, and I don't understand how anyone who is a genuine sports fan wouldn't be interested.

That being said, I don't think anything compares to the World Cup. Soccer is just about the only common game that the entire planet shares. A tournament featuring the very best nations playing for a true world championship is just about the coolest thing in sports. And I know soccer is an aquired taste, but once you understand the strategy and skill and get over the lack of scoring (which makes every goal absolutely HUGE), it is a thrilling game to watch. Hey, yesterday's most exciting play was that Paraguay defender flying through the air to kick away a Swedish shot in the goal mouth.

And I've been in person to NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB playoff games, which were all great, but the single greatest event I ever attended was the 1994 quarterfinal of the WC between Brazil and the Netherlands - the atmosphere was crazed, loud, and electric for the duration of the game (a 3-2 Brazil victory).

This kind of discussion goes beyond soccer. Americans probably don't understand how passionate Indian and Pakistanians are about cricket or Japanese are towards sumo wrestling.

Good point.

What are the non-Japanese sumos called? Every time sumo is on ESPN, it seems to be a bunch of tattooed, hairy Eastern Europeans with buzzcuts -- with pink or baby blue [straps? thongs?]. They tend to look more like Zangief than E. Honda, and it's pretty funny.

All the same, I've heard that non-Japanese are getting better and better at sumo and taking over the sport. I wonder what the reaction will be.

And to make this on-topic, it'd be pretty funny to watch sumo wrestlers play soccer.

Is the the sumo that is shown on ESPN is some sort of the North American circuit? It's true that foreigners are taking over in Japan, particularly the Hawaiians and Mongolians

Speaking of sumo wrestlers playing soccer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qM1SoJG4SeY :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

I love soccer, it's a fun sport. (Although I prefer playing it over watching it.) I've been following the World Cup closing and follow alot of the European Leagues casually. Not a big MLS fan though.

Soccer, right now atleast, is probably second on my sports list until football season starts. (Hockey is always number 1)

But soccer fans can be just as annoying as these ignorant journalists when they badmouth other sports just to make soccer look better. Or they continuously refer to soccer as "the beautiful sport" or "the world's game" to show it's superiority to all other sports. They act as if other sports can't be beautiful either. And just because it is the most popular sport in the world doesn't make it the best sport. It's just an easy pick-up-and-play game that has a long tradition and has had time to expand throughout the world.

Personally, my only complaint with soccer is that it is just TOO simple. It's cool that it's easy to play, but at the same time it can be rather dull. Some of the stuff those guys can do with their feet is amazing, don't get me wrong, but the skill required has nothing on a sport like hockey where you have to learn a whole new mode of transportation just to attempt to play.

But I also hate it when conservative sports fans (or journalists in this case) are ignorant to a sport because they didn't grow up with it. It's the same reason hockey has struggled in the south. Sports fans will generally just follow what they grew up with no matter how boring it may be. I think that is stupid. Almost every day I'm finding a new sport I like even if they don't play it in the US.

Three of my favorite sports are hockey, soccer, and rugby. These aren't exactly high profile sports in the southern redneck bible belt. I had to discover these sports for myself and I've learned to love them even without having a history with them. If only people were more open minded.

Soccer is a simple sport that anyone around the world can relate to regardless of age, race, gender, religion and wealth. Do you think that children in Togo can simply grab their skates, sticks and pucks have a pick up game on a pond? I didn't think so.

Togo has ice on its ponds?

Actually it wasnt

You had a ref that looked like he had money on the game and wanted to be the star attracation. You had the Italian team acting linke they were dead if an American came close to them, and you had a goal disallowed for the stupidest reason ever.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You could say all this BEAUTY and PASSION crap for every sport out there. While I don't hate soccer, I won't watch it over baseball, hockey, or football.

There is one thing that puzzles me about soccer: why is it that they can do all this crazy :censored: with the ball, but miss the net completely some 8 out of 10 times?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I think there is room for all sports. I used to dislike soccer, but started getting into it at the end of High School. Then I started hanging out with some soccer players in college, World Cup 2002 came on, and I fell in love with my 5th sport. I now love 6 if you include Aussie Rules.

Its not an US vs. Them. Its not Baseball vs. Soccer, or Football vs. Football vs. Football or anything. Comparing sports is not a competition and it shouldn't be. If someone loves Cricket, awesome. I'm sure as hell not going to call them stupid.

If you don't like soccer fine. But give it a chance instead of writing it off cause its boring. Like JR said, watch with someone that knows something and can explain all the movement off the ball. Watch it on HD where you can see the whole field and watch the beauty of the perfect cross develop.

Hell, watch a goalie kick it 80 freakin' yards. Watch a player kick a ball 70 mph. Watch someone cross the ball all the way across the field and hit a player in stride right on his foot. Watch a volley. These are amazing skills. To me just as amazing as a guy hitting a round object with a round bat 400 feet. Just as amazing as throwing a perfect spirl to a moving target 60 yards away. Just as amazing as throwing a ball into a hoop that is only 2 times bigger than the ball from 35 feet away. Just as amazing as hitting a frozen piece of rubber with wood 100 mph.

The same things that make our sports great make soccer great. In baseball, a stolen base that doesn't lead to a run wouldn't seem like much to a european fan. A bunt would seem stupid. "Why can't they just hit a home run every time???" But to a baseball fan, they see the mind games and the chess match that a game can become with the stolen base and the bunt.

And to the statement, why do they miss 8 out of 10 times; In baseball we put guys in the hall of fame that FAIL 7 out of 10 times. Its not easy.

My dad has, on several occasions, called soccer a "stupid European sport". But he has watched parts of about ten different games with me, including the entire USA / Italy match.

I've got a great response for this guy.

I don't need 75 words to convince you. I only need one.

Curling.

Granted, I like the sport and have watched Olympic matches, but coming from a country where Curling is the second most popular sport, you have no right to call soccer a "snooze-fest".

philly.png

but coming from a country where Curling is the second most popular sport, you have no right to call soccer a "snooze-fest".

Football, baseball, lacross, and even soccer are all more popular then curling here in the Great White North.

IMHO, baseball is easily the greatest sport on Earth. What's more beautiful than a swing like Jim Thome's winning you a game in extra innings?

A perfect one-timmer winning you the game in OT :hockeysmiley:

You like baseball, I like hockey. Some (a lot actually) like soccer. I have no right to critisize you for being a baseball fan, and you have no right to critisize me for being a hockey fan. Neither of us (no one actually) has the right to critisize people for being soccer fans.

Everyone has their prefrence, and to call one sport superior to all others is arrogant, crass, and ignorant. That goes for all sports fans. Yes, soccer fans can be that way, but people who dislike soccer are usually 100x worse.

I used to hate soccer. I tried and I tried to watch it, but never got into into it. Then my sister insisted I watch the Euro Cup in 04. She plays soccer, understands the game. She was able to explain everything to me, and now I love it. Now I'm a huge Liverpool fan (to spite my Man U-loving relatives :P ), I can't wait for Toronto FC to start play, and I just dropped $100 on a Team Canada soccer jersey. I admit, I fell in love with the game. If you're having touble understanding soccer, just watch it with someone who does. It makes the game much more enjoyable.

Just as amazing as hitting a frozen piece of rubber with wood 100 mph.

I'd just like to point out that no one uses wood anymore. :D

Other than that, you hit the nail on the head.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Soccer is hockey without violence, sticks, and pipe organs. What good is that?

The sad thing is people in this country really do believe such things like this.

Soccer is the #1 sport in the world, Hockey is not even the #1 sport in North America.

I though Steve Yzerman still used a Sher-Wood wooden stick?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I though Steve Yzerman still used a Sher-Wood wooden stick?

I thought the blades were still wood. I know the shafts aren't much anymore.

I thought the blades were still wood. I know the shafts aren't much anymore.

Sher-Wood's got some Wooden sticks still. They aren't one-piece sticks, but rather are wooden cores with wooden laminate wrapping around the core.

Here's an example: http://www.sher-wood.com/product_info.php?products_id=58

Of course, the last stick I used was a Koho Revolution in 2000, before I blew out my knee, so I may be a smidge behind the times. :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Wood sticks rule all. :P

I don't know what alternate universe you live in, TCR, if you think most of the ink over the years in the US about soccer has been glowing and positive. (Nor do I understand why you seem to have made it your personal mission on here to tear down soccer in nearly every thread on here. Then again, you pretty much only post negative stuff anyway.)

I'm a pretty new convert to really loving soccer. Hockey's my first love, though I was a much bigger baseball fan as a young kid (I grew up in the St. Louis area, after all). There's room at the sports table for everyone, and certainly room for the final phase of a true world championship that almost every country in the world enters and takes two years to complete.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived