When has fan pressure worked?

Blue Falcon

The Buffaslug threads got me thinking about this: what other examples do we have of fan pressure forcing teams to ditch unliked logos/uniforms?

Someone already mentioned the Gorton's Fisherman logo that the Islanders tried for a couple of years, before going back to a modified version of their classic logo/unis...of which I haven't heard a complaint about since, BTW.

I know the 49ers tried the "one-day helmet" in 1991, but apparently a firestorm of criticism wisely forced them the cancel it.

Any other examples? DEATH TO THE BUFFASLUG!! :cursing:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Buffaslug threads got me thinking about this: what other examples do we have of fan pressure forcing teams to ditch unliked logos/uniforms?

Someone already mentioned the Gorton's Fisherman logo that the Islanders tried for a couple of years, before going back to a modified version of their classic logo/unis...of which I haven't heard a complaint about since, BTW.

I know the 49ers tried the "one-day helmet" in 1991, but apparently a firestorm of criticism wisely forced them the cancel it.

Nebraska and Notre Dame have gotten rid of the Adidas-imposed side panels on their football uniforms due to fan displeasure.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Nebraska and Notre Dame have gotten rid of the Adidas-imposed side panels on their football uniforms due to fan displeasure.

Don't forget Tennessee as well.

a_houston_i.jpg

Weren't fans in Detroit begging to go back to the Red and Blue colors after they went to the Teal/Red/Black color scheme?

I'm sure this was true, but look how many years the Pistons wore those teal monstrosities.

You could say the Capitals leaked uniforms in 2001ish were scrapped due to fan pressure... perhaps the same could be said for the Stars gold alt (2000) and their latest one.

This could be considered 'fan pressure working'...

Every season the jays front office invites season ticket holders to 'speak their mind' and at last season's event a fan went up to the mic and simply said "I don't care what colour you wear, just get rid of the grey hat" which was met with a loud applause.

The cap was scrapped a couple of months later.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

There may have been some fan pressure involved when the Packers did not change to Vegas gold.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

What about the Islanders fisherman?

Blue Falcon mentioned that in the very first post of the thread.

I have heard, not sure if it's true, that New York Rangers' fans complained so much in the mid/late 70's about when the letters were replaced with the team logo on their sweaters that they after two seasons they switched back.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

You could say the Capitals leaked uniforms in 2001ish were scrapped due to fan pressure... perhaps the same could be said for the Stars gold alt (2000)....

Huh. I never heard of those. Anyone have pictures of either of those?

From NHL uniforms.

Capitals:

http://www.nhluniforms.com/2000s/Images/Ca...lsNeverWorn.gif

Stars:

http://www.nhluniforms.com/2000s/Images/StarsNeverWorn.gif

To be honest I kind of like the Caps one. Although it may be too Vancouver Canuckish

That Caps one look interesting, is there anywhere that has a larger pic of the crest?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

According to legend, fan displeasure forced the Detroit Tigers to ditch their 1960 home redesign after one year

al_1960_detroit.gif

The Cardinals' attempt to use something other than the two birds perched on a bat was also a one-year wonder - 1956

nl_1956_stlouis.gif

You could say the Capitals leaked uniforms in 2001ish were scrapped due to fan pressure... perhaps the same could be said for the Stars gold alt (2000)....

Huh. I never heard of those. Anyone have pictures of either of those?

From NHL uniforms.

Capitals:

http://www.nhluniforms.com/2000s/Images/Ca...lsNeverWorn.gif

Stars:

http://www.nhluniforms.com/2000s/Images/StarsNeverWorn.gif

To be honest I kind of like the Caps one. Although it may be too Vancouver Canuckish

Thanks!

I like the Caps jerseys -- better than the unis they have now.

What about the fan outrage due to the famous "49ers" logo change? Niners dropped it like a bad habit.

Wow, that's an ugly logo! Thank God they didn't use that. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to look like something or not.

SF_1001.gif

What about the fan outrage due to the famous "49ers" logo change? Niners dropped it like a bad habit.

Wow, that's an ugly logo! Thank God they didn't use that. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to look like something or not.

SF_1001.gif

That E is hanging off of the 9 like Kuato hanging off of George in Total Recall.

still_tot_recall_kuato.jpg

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Archived