When has fan pressure worked?

Blue Falcon

What about the fan outrage due to the famous "49ers" logo change? Niners dropped it like a bad habit.

Wow, that's an ugly logo! Thank God they didn't use that. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to look like something or not.

SF_1001.gif

haha, Total Recall...that movie is the :censored::P

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha, Total Recall...that movie is the :censored::P

My whole life changed the first time I saw a woman with three breasts.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I have heard, not sure if it's true, that New York Rangers' fans complained so much in the mid/late 70's about when the letters were replaced with the team logo on their sweaters that they after two seasons they switched back.

I remember much wailing when the Rangers dropped the traditional sweaters.

From Sports encyclopedia ....

"1977/78: In a year marked by bad fashion the Rangers changed their traditional uniforms replacing the diagonal Rangers for a uniform featuring the shield logo that resembled the WHA's Winnipeg Jets. That same season coach Jean-Guy Talbot was booed vigorously by fashion sensitive Rangers fans that started chanting lest go Penguins when he wore a leisure suit behind the bench for a game. The Rangers would go on to make the playoffs despite finishing in last place with a 30-37-13 record. In the Preliminary round the Rangers are ousted by the Buffalo Sabres in best of 3 games series that goes the distance. Following the season Talbot is fired and replaced by Fred Shero.

1978/79: Under new coach Fred Shero the Rangers bring back their traditional uniforms and put together a solid season finishing in 2nd place with a 40-29-11 record. "

Pics here .... http://www.dropthepucks.com/images/Nyr/76-77Espositofrt.jpg

I have heard, not sure if it's true, that New York Rangers' fans complained so much in the mid/late 70's about when the letters were replaced with the team logo on their sweaters that they after two seasons they switched back.

I remember much wailing when the Rangers dropped the traditional sweaters.

From Sports encyclopedia ....

"1977/78: In a year marked by bad fashion the Rangers changed their traditional uniforms replacing the diagonal Rangers for a uniform featuring the shield logo that resembled the WHA's Winnipeg Jets. That same season coach Jean-Guy Talbot was booed vigorously by fashion sensitive Rangers fans that started chanting lest go Penguins when he wore a leisure suit behind the bench for a game. The Rangers would go on to make the playoffs despite finishing in last place with a 30-37-13 record. In the Preliminary round the Rangers are ousted by the Buffalo Sabres in best of 3 games series that goes the distance. Following the season Talbot is fired and replaced by Fred Shero.

1978/79: Under new coach Fred Shero the Rangers bring back their traditional uniforms and put together a solid season finishing in 2nd place with a 40-29-11 record. "

Ironically the "crest" jersey from those years are now all the vintage rage around MSG. Go figure.

Nebraska and Notre Dame have gotten rid of the Adidas-imposed side panels on their football uniforms due to fan displeasure.

I can also remember hearing about a proposed change to Nebraska's helmets in the mid 70's. Keep in mind this was still in the early days of the helmet the team still uses. The team had apparently hired a graphic designer to come up with a stylized "N" and the best the designer could come up with was the same letter that NBC had started to use the same year (1975, I believe). The outcry was supposedly pretty vocal at the time. Thus, the (relatively puny) block "N" survives today. Can anyone out in Husker nation shed additional light on that story?

So, after following the past trend, i wouldn't be surprised for the buffaslug to play one season, then be run out of town, and finally switched to a classic look. Which begs the question: if the this is gonna happen, why even go with the look at all?

Back before my time, in 1976, the Patriots introduced a new version of Pat Patriot at midfield at halftime during a home game vs. the Chargers. The new logo was subjected to a fan vote based on cheers or boos. The new logo was booed heavily, while the modern-day Pat Patriot was cheered. Thus, instant logo disapproval by the fans led to the Pats never using this logo.

Ive done some research into this, and have yet to find a pic of this "new" version of Pat Patriot. I've been told by writers and other people who were at the game that it was similar to the current "flying Elvis" logo the Pats currently employ. I would've loved to seen what this logo looked like...

EDIT: Somebody posted a pic of what looked like a "Asian-version" of Pat Patriot painted on the 50-yd line at Foxboro back in the 1970s. It was a still from footage of one of the Super Bowl DVDs which chronicled games during the 70s. I forget who posted it, but if they can post it again, that would be awesome.

Actually, the change was made for the 76-77 season. And to tell you the truth, I think it's a cool uniform. It's too bad that it was dropped.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

You could say the Capitals leaked uniforms in 2001ish were scrapped due to fan pressure... perhaps the same could be said for the Stars gold alt (2000)....

Huh. I never heard of those. Anyone have pictures of either of those?

From NHL uniforms.

Capitals:

http://www.nhluniforms.com/2000s/Images/Ca...lsNeverWorn.gif

Stars:

http://www.nhluniforms.com/2000s/Images/StarsNeverWorn.gif

To be honest I kind of like the Caps one. Although it may be too Vancouver Canuckish

Wow, those are both improvements.

Esp with the Stars and their ridiculous bullhead third.

Back before my time, in 1976, the Patriots introduced a new version of Pat Patriot at midfield at halftime during a home game vs. the Chargers. The new logo was subjected to a fan vote based on cheers or boos. The new logo was booed heavily, while the modern-day Pat Patriot was cheered. Thus, instant logo disapproval by the fans led to the Pats never using this logo.

Ive done some research into this, and have yet to find a pic of this "new" version of Pat Patriot. I've been told by writers and other people who were at the game that it was similar to the current "flying Elvis" logo the Pats currently employ. I would've loved to seen what this logo looked like...

EDIT: Somebody posted a pic of what looked like a "Asian-version" of Pat Patriot painted on the 50-yd line at Foxboro back in the 1970s. It was a still from footage of one of the Super Bowl DVDs which chronicled games during the 70s. I forget who posted it, but if they can post it again, that would be awesome.

IIRC, the second logo was a sort of silhouette of a minuteman's hat, with stripes from the flag waving behind it. I can't remember completely, as I only saw it a few times from Chicago.

Didn't Coventry City's supporters get their club crest changed back last year?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

So, after following the past trend, i wouldn't be surprised for the buffaslug to play one season, then be run out of town, and finally switched to a classic look. Which begs the question: if the this is gonna happen, why even go with the look at all?

Hmmm I don't know how easily that can be done. The Islanders had the fisherman, and after heavy hatred of it, wanted to change it but was told by the league they couldn't for another year (which is why they wore the island "alternates" in '96). It's possible they have to keep the logo for a few years before being allowed another cahnge, but I'm not sure.

Although it took longer, the same happened with Michigan's "Block M" jerseys. When Amaker got the coaching job, he was giving a speech in front of some students and said something like "We're not 'M', we're Michigan" and everybody cheered. The current jerseys were used from then on out.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Nebraska and Notre Dame have gotten rid of the Adidas-imposed side panels on their football uniforms due to fan displeasure.

I was actually sorta sad to see the gold sides go, I actually liked it-and I'm a lifelong Irish fan.

that and the use of TV numbers insetad of the ND on the sleeves are my only beefs with the current uniforms.

btw...Michigan, you ARE M! :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

If you're looking for promise in your quest to sink the "Buffaslug," look no further than the New Haven Ravens-turned-New Hampshire Primaries-turned-Fishercats.

Personally, I LOVED the Primaries' set; thought it was brilliant - in fact, I quickly purchased the "Uncle Sam calling his shot a la the Babe" hat before it disappeared.

Have yet to wear it.

Source: Wikipedia [link features logos of all entities]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Fisher_Cats

Origin of Current Team Name

New Hampshire Primaries

On November 6, 2003, the new management unveiled the New Hampshire Primaries name and logo, which featured an elephant and a donkey holding baseball bats, and was to be used starting in the 2004 season. The management stated that they felt it reflected a unique aspect of the state, since the New Hampshire primary, held every four years, signifies the start of the Presidential election process. Immediately, the name and logo were widely criticized. An online petition was created by two local baseball fans asking the team ownership to reconsider their decision and was covered by local newspapers, radio, and television stations. This coverage was led by a front-page article in the New Hampshire Union Leader, New Hampshire's largest newspaper, on Sunday November 9, 2003. By the afternoon of November 10, over 1200 unique visitors had signed the petition. Later in the day, the team announced that they would not use the Primaries name after all and that they would seek public opinion on a new name.

On November 13, 2003, the team announced the ?Name the Team? contest which had three phases over the following weeks. During the first phase, fans submitted suggestions. During the second phase, fans ranked their top five favorite names from the suggestions. For the final phase, fans voted for their single favorite among the top five names from the second round. On December 3, the final voting results were announced: New Hampshire Fisher Cats (1,574 votes - 24.5%), Manchester Millers (1,552 votes - 24.1%), Granite State Mountain Men (1,382 vote - 21.5%), New Hampshire Granite (1,302 votes - 20.2%), and New Hampshire Primaries (627 votes - 9.7%).

On January 22, 2004, the team unveiled the set of logos that would be used for the name New Hampshire Fisher Cats.

Archived