Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

But keep a team in New Orleans with a two-year history and move a team with a 40-year history?

Too many things in this situation just make me scratch my head.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But keep a team in New Orleans with a two-year history and move a team with a 40-year history?

Well, well, I thought the same thing when I learned some about the move of the original AL Washington Senators to Minnesota and the creation of the new Senators in Washington... :P

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Hey remember, if New Orleans lost its beloved Hornets, that would be a tragedy on top of a tragedy!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the Sonics do move to OKC, does that mean they's switch to the colors and logo of the Sonic Drive-In ala New York Red Bull?

From Greem/Gold to Red/Gold/Sky Blue

And does the WNBA team get renamed from Storm to something else?

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

If the Sonics do move to OKC, does that mean they's switch to the colors and logo of the Sonic Drive-In ala New York Red Bull?

From Greem/Gold to Red/Gold/Sky Blue

And does the WNBA team get renamed from Storm to something else?

I doubt that there would be a color change to match the Sonic Drive In colors - see prior discussions of the scuttled Memphis Express proposal. I reiterate my belief that the Sonics name will be retired/reserved for a future Seattle franchise.

I think Storm would be a perfect name for an Oklahoma based sports franchise as the region is known for having a pretty high occurrence of tornadic activity.

Hey remember, if New Orleans lost its beloved Hornets, that would be a tragedy on top of a tragedy!

You think there could be a franchise "trade" in the works, a la what happened between the Buffalo Braves and Boston Celtics during the 1977-78 season? As I understand it, the Celtics owner wanted to move the franchise to San Diego, and the NBA wouldn't have that, so then-NBA lawyer David Stern brokered a deal where the owners of the Braves and Celtics where they would swap franchises and the Braves got moved to Southern California (where they eventually became the San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers).

QPR%20Sig.png

Yeah, I agree; it's pretty :censored:ing stupid.

Regarding the Hornets' side of things, I don't know why the NFL and NBA are so concerned with good PR and trying to keep their respective franchises in the city. The Hornets (and from everything I know, the Saints) weren't financially viable prior to Katrina, and it doesn't do any good for the commissioners of the leagues to insist on the teams being committed to the city when the city clearly wasn't committed to them. I'm sorry to anyone that lives in New Orleans or the surrounding area; I don't mean to sound callous or like I'm bashing the city. What I'm saying is that I don't think that having two financially unsuccessful pro teams back in the city is going to be all that heartening to its residents or helpful to the recovery process. If most of the city doesn't give a rip about them, then who cares? Makes no sense.

As far as the Sonics' side of things goes, I REALLY don't want them to leave Seattle. What I believe is that despite what happened with the funding for Safeco and Qwest, if the fans really love the Sonics, then they're going to agree to fund a new arena, plain and simple, because I doubt those greedy jerk-offs who bought the team will. I really hate all those owners who have the money to finance a new arena themselves and don't do it, only because it would cut into their profits in the short-term. Why can't businesspeople ever think of long-term viability? It's so irritating to me (and probably a lot of others as well). And yeah, Howard Schultz is an idiot for ever having signed such a constricting agreement in the first place. I really wish the team could somehow renegotiate things with the city, but I'm not sure that that's possible.

Interesting. Apparently a group from San Jose wanted to buy the team for more money but the currenyt ownership group turned the deal down.

(Owner Howard) Schultz said the team turned down higher offers from other bidders who were transparent in their desire to move the team because, he said, the Basketball Club of Seattle wanted to keep the franchise in the Puget Sound area.

Though (team president Wally) Walker would not identify those bidders, a report in The Oklahoman said Larry Ellison offered $425 million and wanted to move the team to San Jose, Calif. That report could not be confirmed.

http://news.bellinghamherald.com/apps/pbcs.../607180356/1004

History has shown that names move with the teams. Ex: Jazz, Lakers, Grizzly?s, Hornets, Clippers. The NBA has proven the marketing of the name in the past outweighs the name making sense for that city. I am a Seattle fan who now lives in OK and I?m fighting myself over this whole thing. I really think OK needs a professional team, but I wasn?t expecting them to take my team:blink: !

Also, the fact the Sonics haven?t been to the finals since 94, where the M's had a record breaking 2001 season and the Hawks should have been Super Bowl Champs (damn refs:cursing: ). People don?t like a loser team and Sonics haven?t improve overall for some time.

I also dont understand why you would move a 40 year franchise to give them an expansion team a few years later. Sounds dumb. The last time they tried that it took 13 years for Seattle to get the Mariners after the Pilots left.

I hope the team swap rumor happens so OK gets a team, but Seattle keeps the Sonics.

My Hopes for 2008

Seattle Sonics

OKC Hornets (went back to NO and failed)

San Jose Blazers

Las Vegas Lakers (yah playin)

2000Patch.jpg

The last time they tried that it took 13 years for Seattle to get the Mariners after the Pilots left.

The Pilots left in 1970; the Mariners franchise was granted in 1976. Not exactly an immediate turnaround, but not 13 years either.

Your points are well taken, nonetheless.

Also, the fact the Sonics haven?t been to the finals since 94, where the M's had a record breaking 2001 season and the Hawks should have been Super Bowl Champs (damn refs:cursing: ). People don?t like a loser team and Sonics haven?t improve overall for some time.

I also dont understand why you would move a 40 year franchise to give them an expansion team a few years later. Sounds dumb. The last time they tried that it took 13 years for Seattle to get the Mariners after the Pilots left. 

I hope the team swap rumor happens so OK gets a team, but Seattle keeps the Sonics.

My Hopes for 2008

Seattle Sonics

OKC Hornets (went back to NO and failed)

San Jose Blazers

Las Vegas Lakers (yah playin)

The Sonics were in the '96 Finals, not '94. And they were competitive until the lockout year of '99 (correct me if I'm wrong on the year).

While I'm tempted to digress on the Hawks and M's, that's a topic for another thread.

Let OK have the Hornets. I want my Sonics right here in the Northwest.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

This is the best news for New Orleans, who need their franchise more than Seattle does.

And let's face it, Seattle doesn't give a flying leap about the Sonics, nor should they.

I worked with Wally Walker once upon a time, and let me assure you he is a grade-a jackass.

This is the best news for New Orleans, who need their franchise more than Seattle does.

And let's face it, Seattle doesn't give a flying leap about the Sonics, nor should they.

I worked with Wally Walker once upon a time, and let me assure you he is a grade-a jackass.

There's not a person in Seattle who would disagree with you on Walker.

And while the city of Seattle may not give a flying fig, there's no reason they can't move to Renton or Bellevue.

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived