Oklahoma City . . . Sonics?

yh

i wonder why anyone hasn't already said the Clippers moving back to SD and re named the Aztecs isn't a good idea since San Diego State University is already the Aztecs... and they have a b-ball team so that would make things pretty confusing

your right i totaly forgot...........Is it me or would San Diego Spartians just roll off the tounge???

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder why anyone hasn't already said the Clippers moving back to SD and re named the Aztecs isn't a good idea since San Diego State University is already the Aztecs... and they have a b-ball team so that would make things pretty confusing

your right i totaly forgot...........Is it me or would San Diego Spartians just roll off the tounge???

Stop....just stop....now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My NBA 2010-11:

Moves:

Clippers to San Diego and rename them Aztecs

Jazz and Hornets swap names

Expansion:

Louisville Explorers

Oklahoma City Bison

Nashville Dragons

Las Vegas Stars

Pittsburgh Express

St. Louis Spirit/ Kansas City Pirates

Did you even consider about writing science, er, sports fiction books? :P

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

36 teams might work (only if some teams can develop their talent in international leagues a.k.a. the Spurs thing).

*slap*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, whatever moves might be made with the Sonics in the future will have to wait a while.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2776019

Basically, if the ownership group wanted to relocate for next season, they had to file with the NBA by March 1. So the Sonics will still be in Seattle for at least 2007-08.

I just go on the record as saying it'll be a huge mistake. I know arenas make the the local ownership richer with luxury suites and such, but why would the NBA kill a prime market during this period of increased interest? Not to mention the league has enough trouble with showing signs of stability and history compared to the NFL and MLB between starting in the later and all the relocations/expansions.

SAVE THE SONICS!

Looks like the Sonics have found a way to circumvent the vote that went down here in Seattle, that decreed that there shall be no new public funds allocated to sports teams.

They will circumvent it by moving south to Renton (outside Seattle's city borders) and will "piggy-back" onto taxes already established to fund the monolithic Safeco field. I believe this is the plan right now, although last I read, the plan is not fully approved or in motion. Still it looks like the Sonics will live in this area for quite a while if this all goes down.

I am stunned by the Sonics right now.

Not only did Mr. Starbucks bail on the team, after a really nasty and vicious dialog with the government; not only are the Sonics whining about a stadium that completed its expensive rebuild just ten years ago (and doomed NHL expansion here for decades); but they also found a way to alienate Nate McMillan along the way and hand the franchise over to an ownership group, that will pull-up stakes in a heartbeat, unless they get exactly what they want.

Oh and the team is terrible, and has squandered its cap money.

The Mariners' stadium fiasco, was just that, a fiasco. The Seahawks largely did a really good job with there stadium overall, seemingly reasonable anyway in this day and age where teams bilk public funds beyond reason. However after two major renovations, people in Seattle were fed up when the Sonics started to squawk, about their stadium that was brand spanking new not that long ago.

Ok, didn't the Sonics revamp Key Arena about 12 years ago?

Yes, but the city paid for 3/4 of the cost.

One of the reasons the Sonics give for losing money is losing luxury suite sales to Safeco and Qwest Fields. Apparently, a new arena would solve that problem. Also, there is much more competition in the area for concerts and shows. The Tacoma Dome, the new (relatively) Everett Events Center, the White River Amphitheatre, etc.

Not that I think any of this is justification for a brand new building.

I think this just became a tougher sale.

Sonics Owners Hate Gays

OLYMPIA -- The millionaires who've turned to this state's left-leaning Legislature to authorize a $300 million tax subsidy for a new basketball arena have been playing right-wing politics.

Two members of the new Sonics ownership group are heavyweight financiers of a national political group dedicated to banning gay marriage.

Together, co-owners Tom Ward and Aubrey McClendon donated more than $1.1 million to Americans United to Preserve Marriage, a conservative Christian group that opposes gay marriage.

The group is led by Gary Bauer, an outspoken leader of conservative groups including the Family Research Council and Focus on the Family.

According to the group, gay couples "flout marriage by using it for their own political agenda (and) cheapen the institution."

As the team struggles to persuade the Legislature to support a new $500 million basketball arena in Renton, the latest revelations are adding static to the already-strained conversations with Democratic leaders who have consistently backed gay rights issues.

They also come as the National Basketball Association is attempting to define itself as a champion of diversity to counter the public relations fallout from anti-gay statements made by former NBA star Tim Hardaway.

After Hardaway said in a radio interview that he hated gay people, NBA Commissioner David Stern banished him from the All-Star weekend in Las Vegas.

Sonics spokesman Jim Kneeland said the co-owners' contributions and political activity do not contradict the NBA's recent condemnation of bigotry.

"First of all, (Clay Bennett), who is the managing partner in this effort, is not involved in anyway," Kneeland said. "That's a key distinction.

"People are entitled to have their views, they are not views that I happen to agree with ... but they are not trying to impose them on anyone out here," Kneeland said.

"I won't argue that some of the owners may have more conservative political views than the norm out here; one of the things that they agreed to when they bought the team is that they would leave their politics at the state line," Kneeland said. "They have done that. They were not involved in the election cycle out here last year and have no intention of doing so."

They might go for that kind of thing in Oklahoma City, but no so much in Seattle.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

They might go for that kind of thing in Oklahoma City, but no so much in Seattle.

Sadly, I am not so sure it will make a difference. Although, I agree it should, you can't reach for 300 million dollars in public money and not have your politics scrutinized.

Let's face it though, Seattle can be very apathetic at times. They shrugged when they read about the scandals related to our state election, just a few years ago.

I could be wrong, maybe the gay community is extremely vocal and powerful here in Seattle and this will energize them enough to cause problems to the overall plan. If they are, then more power to them. I'm a huge advocate for gay rights.

The only other issue I can think of is the WNBA. The lesbian community here in Seattle have adopted the Storm with great enthusiasm and several of the Storm's best players are apparently gay. I don't think Storm season ticket holders will be pleased at this news. The only sad part here is the Storm probably don't make any money, and this could be just the excuse the current owners need to let that part go.

Interesting times to be sure, it will intriguing to see what happens next.

Well if you Liberals think thats a big deal and don't want to build them an arena you can start singing along with me.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the Sonics are coming soon play...

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well if you Liberals

I'm a "liberal" because I advocate gay rights?

Wow, can you guess my IQ and tax bracket too, from a few measly paragraphs of text? Way to judge my entire political philsophy based on a few lousy sentences posted on a sports forum. Do you always go and make sweeping judgements on people like this, or is this just a one time offer?

I am not a liberal, not even close, please do try again, I'll send you a nickel via paypal when you get it right.

I think the Sonics stay here, the ownership group weasled a pretty good deal from the politicians, it doesn't break the constraint voted in by Seattle just a few months ago, and Seattle's got enough money floating around it, to keep an NBA owner flush with cash, if they play their cards right.

It's been a fait accompli that the Sonics are short for Seattle - regardless of the new owners' politics.

Well absolutely. But there are plenty of Seattlites that wouldn't mind an extra cause to rally around.

It's depressing. I just moved here in September and now my NBA team is leaving.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived