Buffalo Sabres to unveil jerseys today

js °

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know where I can find a larger version of this? This makes the logo look a little bit better.

So, seeing the logo with the wordmark is supposed to make it look better? I guess it works, in the same way putting glitter on dog :censored: works.

Purely speculation:

Larry Quinn has said several times that the leaked logo is 'incomplete' and said on the Shredd & Ragan show that the front of the Sabres jersey "will feature something that no other NHL jersey features."  Does this mean that this

will be the new crest?  It would be kind of unique and would be better than just the slug, imo.

I agree with jsº and others who have stated that from a branding or iconic logo aspect you should not need the logotype or uniform to complete the overall look or as the Sabres stated "put it in context". That is complete bull$hit!!! And should be dealt with as such. Drop the Slug and

head back to the drawing board. There's talent here on the board, or hire Radom or Verlander for crying out loud.

If they need to spell out b-u-f-f-a-l-o s-a-b-r-e-s for me on the front of the jersey then they are

truly bush league and their bottom of the well payroll mentality shows in everything they do.

I completely agree that the brand identity is very weak and would like nothing more than the team deciding to use one of jsº's designs or something similar. However, if we are forced in the meantime to watch our team wear a yellow buffalo on its jerseys, I would prefer it to be as small and unembarrasing as possible, and putting it with the wordmark does the job(sort of). Bush league? I don't know. If the organization is going to focus on the workdmark, at least it has a logo to go along with it, unlike another team that recently unveiled new unis.

After seeing the slug, I would be suprised and amazed if the team came out with decent-looking unis and would probably tolerate them for a year or two until a new identity is introduced. I'll have a problem if they're in use for a longer period of time. Let's just hope that fan pressure will end this nightmare and bring the slug to a quick and timely death.

Purely speculation:

Larry Quinn has said several times that the leaked logo is 'incomplete' and said on the Shredd & Ragan show that the front of the Sabres jersey "will feature something that no other NHL jersey features." Does this mean that this

will be the new crest?

Oh dear lord, does anyone else but me suspect that the buffaslug might actually be a sublimated wraparound? I'm wondering if that's why there's been all this talk about "you have to see the logo in the full context of the uniform before you can comment." That would certainly be something that no other NHL jersey features.

For good reason, I might add.

Purely speculation:

Larry Quinn has said several times that the leaked logo is 'incomplete' and said on the Shredd & Ragan show that the front of the Sabres jersey "will feature something that no other NHL jersey features." Does this mean that this

will be the new crest? It would be kind of unique and would be better than just the slug, imo.

Interesting. That logo w/ wordmark has been floating around the internet for a week or so. I'm not sure if it is legit, but Quinn's comment that there are wordmarks on the jersey that people have not seen and that the logo that we have seen will appear w/ a wordmark (on the jersey) seems to lend some validity to this. I do not recall anyone saying that until Quinn did, so w/ this logo appearing before that comment, it further seems to lend some validity to the logo. As for the front of the Sabres' jersey featuring "something that no other NHL jersey features, it got me thinking. While the above logo is a little different (i.e., w/ a wordmark) there are other NHL jerseys w/ wordmarks on the front -- Dallas, LA, Minnesota (alt), Anaheim. So, I don't think the wordmark appearing on the front crest itself is unique. What would truly be unique on an NHL jersey? What did Quinn also mention during the press conference? Namely that the NHL jersey and player equipment will dramatically evolve in the next 5-6 years with new materials and that you need to design for that... hmmm... We all know that is code for more "form fitting". With the jersey and equipment going more "form fitting", what comes to mind? Football jerseys. Yeah. What do football jerseys feature (lacrosse jerseys too)? Numbers on the front. Now THAT truly would be unique, and THAT would really mean that you can't judge the logo and the "look" w/o the full jersey. Maybe the workmark appears over the numbers on the front in a "collegiate" style (like Texas or Oklahoma, etc.) and the Slugalo appears somewhere else on the jersey or in the logo/workmark that has been posted. Now THAT might be pretty cool.

Just some thoughts...

Anyone know where I can find a larger version of this?  This makes the logo look a little bit better.

So, seeing the logo with the wordmark is supposed to make it look better? I guess it works, in the same way putting glitter on dog :censored: works.

In a somewhat related story, one Christmas my cats got into the silver tinsle decoration we had on our tree and were :censored:ting glittery strands of shiny poop for days. Lets just say, that we were calling their "bathroom" a GLITTER box. :P

Purely speculation:

Larry Quinn has said several times that the leaked logo is 'incomplete' and said on the Shredd & Ragan show that the front of the Sabres jersey "will feature something that no other NHL jersey features."  Does this mean that this

will be the new crest?

Oh dear lord, does anyone else but me suspect that the buffaslug might actually be a sublimated wraparound? I'm wondering if that's why there's been all this talk about "you have to see the logo in the full context of the uniform before you can comment." That would certainly be something that no other NHL jersey features.

That comment made me think of some sort of crazy sublimation too. I pictured something more like the old 'Burger King' LA Kings alt though - crazy sublimated sabre(s) diagonally across the chest and the slug as a small chest patch or as the shoulder patches. I can see your idea being more likely though, with the slug wrapping from the front under the right arm to the back. Given the odd shape of the logo it makes sense.

At least they have the old uni as an alt...

Purely speculation:

will be the new crest?

That's actually what I've been wondering about all along. Clearly that logo isn't usable as a crest. It's POSSIBLE that the wordmark could work as a crest, the way the Ducks do it, but that wouldn't give it the "wait till you see it on a jersey, then you'll love it" impression.

Combine that with the fact that Quinn clearly alluded to the fact that they designed these things for the swift jersies... and that makes me think there's something awful going on. My real fear is that the slug is going to be HUGE, and wrapped all the way around the player.

Again, as I have always said... "Yuck."

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I'm betting on one of two things happening here ... neither of which I really like ...

1) this logo can clearly be seen as designed specifically to be on shoulders (as the comparisons to the San Diego Chargers logo makes ... and thats designed specifically for a helmet shape, and shoulders useage). in this case, I'm seeing the shoulder logos being larger than any normal jersey, and in which case (at least in my minds eye), ugly ... looking like "jerseys of the future", which no hockey fan could like.

2) the unique thing will be will be the striping as being crossed sabres ... in one of my original concepts, I worked with making the current striping into sabres. I ended up never liking the result and seeing it being too contrived and 'experimental'. Imagining the side panels of this ( http://newblueandgold.com/old/jerseys/jersey_04_home.jpg ), and striping to basically meet in the middle and thus become sabres, rather than just a unique striping pattern that I believed gave the impression of a buffalo head, or simple horns.

neither of these solutions I like, or can see how they would come off as right for the team, and holding any sense of history in them. My fear is that whatever they come out with will appear to be these 'future jerseys' and just end up looking like a rejected rollerball team.

Can anyone get me a picture of these new jerseys?

It's a twofer: The stupidest post and the stupidest sig.

Congratulations!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I hope they dont cheap out, keeping the navy helmets and pants with the throwback 3rds. Hopefully they have pants covers with the old royal pants and white and yellow striping. Same with the helmets, hopefully having royal blue with the old logo decals on them.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I hope they dont cheap out, keeping the navy helmets and pants with the throwback 3rds. Hopefully they have pants covers with the old royal pants and white and yellow striping. Same with the helmets, hopefully having royal blue with the old logo decals on them.

Sorry they will not match next year.

What JS is saying is pretty much what I was thinking too. There is no way, after what they have said, that the sabres won't be represented on the jersey AS the striping. That has to be it. I can't see it happening any other way. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see it as "sabres" that contain elements on the jersies, pants and socks, which all put together create a sabre.

Oh man, I'm making myself ill thinking about this again.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Can anyone get me a picture of these new jerseys?

810-HAWERCHUKD-BUF.jpg

I never was fond of this blue jersey. Those socks are pretty ugly.

I am very anxiously looking forward to the new real uniforms.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Imagining the side panels of this ( http://newblueandgold.com/old/jerseys/jersey_04_home.jpg ), and striping to basically meet in the middle and thus become sabres, rather than just a unique striping pattern that I believed gave the impression of a buffalo head, or simple horns.

Possibly, but Quinn did say that the jersey designs out there in the internet (this is one that certainly has been used quite a bit - I think it was the template of the one that showed up on the WGR webite) were not correct.

right .. i'm not saying they'd be these, but just using that as a means to paint a visual in your head, where the armpit area still has this effect, but the side panels, down to the bottom middle of the jersey would appear as sabres

Archived