David Ortiz is unhuman!

Brass

Way to back out of the argument.  You realized you're an idiot and you sidestepped.  Kudos on that one.  Found this latest stat in Bill Simmons' latest column on Page 2.  Is there ANY player in the league that can even touch this stat?  Bernie?  Albert?

Since the start of 2005, Ortiz has come to the plate 13 times with a chance for a game-ending plate appearance.  He's made an out only once -- and he went on to win that game in the 12th inning.  That number jumps if you include the 2004 postseason.  He's had the most walkoff hits in any Four year span (and he's pretty much done it in a two year span)

There's an impartial voice for us to listen to, Bill Simmons... :rolleyes:

And what is there to argue about in your drooling diatribe? (1) I'm perfectly aware that the Red Sox have the 2nd-highest payroll in MLB. (2) What makes you think the Red Sox will keep Ortiz after 2007? Weren't you (since you consider yourself a member of the Red Sox overship group through your illogical use of personal pronouns when referring to the franchise) assured that you would have Johnny Damon in a Red Sox uniform for life? (3) In typical Red Sox fashion, you try to convince me of the Red Sox being positive somewhere through the use of an "almost." "Almost got Roger Clemens?" That's nothing to be proud of, unless you're proud of your 8 consecutive 2nd place finishes in the AL East...

As for your last point, the last time I saw, while Red Sox Nation was beating its collective chest over their last at-bat wins, the Yankees haven't needed such theatrics through strong starting pitching and their lineup working as expected. Colour me unimpressed.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. That's like boasting about Brett Farve having better stats than Eli Manning.

I wonder why.

He's better? ^_^

Though if you want someone their age, here you go.

[stats]

I was just saying that Brett Farve has been playing for so many years, he would have better stats than E. Manning, just like Bernie over Ortiz.

Don't mark me as a Red Sox fan either (I root for a team in the OTHER East), I'm just trying to make sure people are playing fair.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

...Ortiz has come to the plate 13 times with a chance for a game-ending plate appearance. He's made an out only once --and he went on to win that game in the 12th inning.

Farnsworth?

Can you read? That was the 8th inning.

IUe6Hvh.png

Way to back out of the argument.  You realized you're an idiot and you sidestepped.  Kudos on that one.  Found this latest stat in Bill Simmons' latest column on Page 2.  Is there ANY player in the league that can even touch this stat?  Bernie?  Albert?

Since the start of 2005, Ortiz has come to the plate 13 times with a chance for a game-ending plate appearance.  He's made an out only once -- and he went on to win that game in the 12th inning.  That number jumps if you include the 2004 postseason.  He's had the most walkoff hits in any Four year span (and he's pretty much done it in a two year span)

And what is there to argue about in your drooling diatribe? (1) I'm perfectly aware that the Red Sox have the 2nd-highest payroll in MLB. (2) What makes you think the Red Sox will keep Ortiz after 2007? Weren't you (since you consider yourself a member of the Red Sox overship group through your illogical use of personal pronouns when referring to the franchise) assured that you would have Johnny Damon in a Red Sox uniform for life? (3) In typical Red Sox fashion, you try to convince me of the Red Sox being positive somewhere through the use of an "almost." "Almost got Roger Clemens?" That's nothing to be proud of, unless you're proud of your 8 consecutive 2nd place finishes in the AL East...

As for your last point, the last time I saw, while Red Sox Nation was beating its collective chest over their last at-bat wins, the Yankees haven't needed such theatrics through strong starting pitching and their lineup working as expected. Colour me unimpressed.

You're kidding, right? I'll assume that entire post was the sarcasm or joking that you referred to in your signature.

I didn't use Bill Simmons' opinion as an argument, I used a statistic used in his column. The statistic was provided to him by the Elias Sports Bureau.

I know Ortiz will remain with the Red Sox beyond 2007 because on April 10, 2006, he signed a contract extension through 2010 with a team option for 2011.

I brought up the almost signing and trading for Clemens as a point that the team will spend the money that it needs to... is that not obvious enough?

Keep posting and making yourself look like more of an idiot.

IUe6Hvh.png

Its amazing how passionate and illogical folks can get in sports debates. Both major back and forths in this thread have been skewed-fact, side-stepping good points, homer-influenced garbage.

Any stat, or record, or comparison has a minimum. No one compares total HRs or hits in the postseason, they compare per game. No one compares a guy in one series versus guys in several series. Its useless. As a fan of neither the Sox nor the Card particularly, I can say I'd rather have Pujols on my team cause hes a more well rounded player. As far as one guy to bat in the end of a game? Thats a tough call. Its ahrd to argue with Ortiz's success.

As far as the Yankees vs the Red Sox, that debate wont die for as long as we shall live on this rock hurtling through space.

Though, as much as I love my brother Fred, you were nitpicking and being snarky more than you were proving ITE wrong. EVERY SPORTS FAN calls his favorite team WE. All of us. Those who dont aren't true fans, or are WAY too caught up in the English rules. Those crazy english teachers ;)

Bill Simmons is a homer, but he does use real facts to base his homerism off of. Keeping Ortiz or not is absolutely no reason at all to temper one's enjoyment of his performance. Sounds like someone trying to come up with an excuse.

The Yankees should only be as proud of their being tied in the win column with Boston for the division, and 8 games behind the Tigers for most win in the majors as the Red Sox shoudl be about 8 straight second places in the AL East... that is, mighty proud, but not satisfied.

And I'm not giving any team credit for being "willing to spend money." Thats the easy, sleazy, worthless, bad for baseball way to improve. Try building guys form your farm system, or signing guys who arent performing well and rehabilitating their baseball skills. Thats what is actually impressive.

BTW, the Yankees are 5th in ERA, 4th in Wins, and 3rd in batting average against in the AL. I'm not willing to call that, "continuing to suck."

Oh, and I just heard that Albert Pujols just negoliated a peace accord in the middle east, created a stable government in Iraq, made the French wear deodorant, created a zero emmisions vehicle, and got George Bush and Howard stern to give each other a reach around. Kevin, try to not edit this post, if you can help it.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Though, as much as I love my brother Fred, you were nitpicking and being snarky more than you were proving ITE wrong. EVERY SPORTS FAN calls his favorite team WE. All of us. Those who dont aren't true fans, or are WAY too caught up in the English rules. Those crazy english teachers ;)

You win the prize (Though for the record, saying "we" is a pet peeve of mine. Alumni is as far as I'll go with the "we." I'm a really big Sens fan, but if it's Game 7, it's not "We need to win" for me, but "They need to win." I mean, as much as I speak to the images of Bryan Murray and Daniel Alfredsson on the TV, they never seem to listen. I guess English teachers are just crazy like that... :D)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

You're kidding, right? I'll assume that entire post was the sarcasm or joking that you referred to in your signature.

I didn't use Bill Simmons' opinion as an argument, I used a statistic used in his column. The statistic was provided to him by the Elias Sports Bureau.

I know Ortiz will remain with the Red Sox beyond 2007 because on April 10, 2006, he signed a contract extension through 2010 with a team option for 2011.

I brought up the almost signing and trading for Clemens as a point that the team will spend the money that it needs to... is that not obvious enough?

Keep posting and making yourself look like more of an idiot.

Agreed. Ortiz will stay with the team 'til at least 2010. Also, tonight, he hit 2 HRs. 1 being the game-winner....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Would also like to throw another stat out there:

21 out of his 39 homeruns this season, have either tied up, or given the Red Sox the lead.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

...Ortiz has come to the plate 13 times with a chance for a game-ending plate appearance. He's made an out only once --and he went on to win that game in the 12th inning.

Farnsworth?

Can you read? That was the 8th inning.

Whoops.

Didn't mean to snap back at you like that.

Paynomind, I think the statistics that you showed for their pitching is thanks largely to their bullpen because outside of Wang and Mussina, they've gotten nothing from their starting pitching. None of the rest can even get past 6 innings. Corey Lidle, the other day, was their first win by a #5 pitcher in, I believe, their last 12 starts -- hard to look towards him as a savior considering his numbers in the NL. That extra work 2 games out of 5, plus all the 6 out saves for Rivera, may have a considerable effect down the stretch. Still, though, I'd rather have anyone in that Yankees bullpen running on fumes of Julian Tavarez or Rudy Seanez, though they've only been getting mopup duty, really.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived