Throwback Day for Astros-Padres on Thur.

BamaHater

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those padres unis are sweet, especially the two-tone stirrup socks combo.

Is the pant stripe accurate on the Astros? I don't remember it being that wide, of course I was 7 at the time.

I agree but I was only 10! I didn't remember it being that wide also.

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

I think the Astros' pants stripes were too wide. Both teams wore 2006 helmets, which diminishes the experience a wee bit.

Furthermore, the number on the back of the jersey was too high in some cases on the Astros' throwbacks. The number should be rooted in the rainbow, not resting partially in the white.

Astros rainbows produced today usually are not done right. The font is the wrong font. Manufacturers today use the late 1980s-early 1990s rainbow sleeve font instead of the original rainbow gut font. It's not a huge difference there, but there is a difference. The late rainbow sleeve font is a bit taller and not as thick as the 1970s-early 1980s rainbow sleeve font

1970s/80s rainbow gut font 1981D_Ashby_Alan.jpg

1980s rainbow sleeve font

1991L_Yelding_Eric.jpg

2006 rainbow throwback

capt.a395379a52d64b0e84c0d57c9eb3f5a4.astros_padres_baseball_cacl109.jpg

I've always liked that Astros set, although more from a different year with the basic block number font. Even owned a hideously ugly (in hindsight) JC Penney replica t-shirt, which at the time, I loved.

That said, the Padres set is amazing! I love the color combo of dark brown and yellow on the white jersey. Not sure how I feel about the hat just yet, but it does fit with the set.

Wish I could have seen this game...hope both teams bust these out again sometime soon!

I liked the '84 version of the Padres uniform better then the '76.

Just a question for those in the know but were the '84 unis brown and goldish color darker then the '76 uniform? I ask because the colour seems a little off to my eyes.

As for the Astros I loved their whole look during the 70s and early 80s. I know it's not the most popular opinion around but the colourful uniforms always caught my eye and made it interesting to watch a game.

Those hats, for both teams, are SWEEEEEEET! I honestly want to buy both of them. Especially the Padres' though. God those uniforms, all around, are SO much better than their current set.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

The number's on the wrong leg, no?

The number is on the correct leg. The pants stripes are wrong, though -- the yellow stripe isn't supposed on the inside.

One other thing: the font on the back of the Astros jersey yesterday was the 1975 font, not the block number used from 1976-1987.

Actually, the font used yesterday was the correct font. The Astros used the serif number font in 1976 without the circle on the back that was used in 1975, and they also used it on the leg. I was happy they got that right. Notice the 1976 NL patch with the serif number on the leg. The "2" is a better example than the '8'.

1977_Cedeno_Cesar.jpg

For further proof, go to about the 1:30 mark of this video linked below, and let it run for a few seconds. You'll see the Astros running out of the dugout after the final out of Larry Dierker's 1976 no-hitter. You can see the serif number font there.

Dierker video

Is it me or is anything the Padres wear this year look better than their current set?

I don't like the Padres' current uniforms. Without the khaki road uniforms, the Padres could easily be the Brewers.

Is it me or is anything the Padres wear this year look better than their current set?

I don't like the Padres' current uniforms. Without the khaki road uniforms, the Padres could easily be the Brewers.

I wish the Padres would bring back the brown. I always liked them with it (be it with gold, yellow or orange). It is unique and would help create a unique identity for them, unlike the dreck they currently have. I also enjoyed the 1998 World Series era unis with the blue, but the brown just works for them (brown Friars robes).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Just a question for those in the know but were the '84 unis brown and goldish color darker then the '76 uniform? I ask because the colour seems a little off to my eyes.

I don't believe so. My guess is it was just an optical illusion due to the addition of the orange to the scheme. If anything, I believe the yellow was brightened after the addition of the orange.

Naaah. Tuscon Toros, 1980. Yellow, turquoise, avocado, pink, lime, red. And with orange pants!

You mean these ?

80tcmatorosknicely.jpg

Interesting subnote to this.

The Tucson Toros were the AAA club for the Disco Stro's at this time. You can see the catcher is sporting an Astros orange batting helmet.

So apparently, the Disco Rainbow thing wasnt just an Astros thing....it was prevalent throughout the ball club?s farm system too.

Who else were there affiliates at that time? Seeing as the transition from the big league club to the AAA club was that much worse, uniformly speaking, I cant imagine what the lower classes wore.

NYCdog.png

So apparently, the Disco Rainbow thing wasnt just an Astros thing....it was prevalent throughout the ball club?s farm system too.

Who else were there affiliates at that time? Seeing as the transition from the big league club to the AAA club was that much worse, uniformly speaking, I cant imagine what the lower classes wore.

Here is a list from baseball-reference.com

Astros' Minor League affiliates through the years.

Also, nice shot of Alan Knicely. He was also a Red in that early-80s shuttle between Cincinnati and Houston.

Being a near lifetime Padres fan (since 1974), I thought the look was simply sweet; Padres should go back to the brown and gold always. It just has not been quite the same since 1985 when the gold was removed in favor of orange, and then the big change to navy/orange/white.

I would have rather seen the pants correct with the elastic waistband of brown-yellow-brown piping. I also miss the real brown stirrups with gold sanitary hose.

I'm not sure I understand the gripes on this thread about the Padres hat; one of the most unique of all times, as the front two panels were not all gold; the original was more of an inverted "V" shape, so I don't think the "throwback" hats were exactly right, either.

Randy Jones would have been proud; in fact, I've met him in person, and he prefers the brown and gold to the navy/orange or current (ugh!) look...

Astros wore white at home and on the road back in '76?  Odd I didn't know that.....

Well, officially they say the road uniforms were the slightest almost unnoticeable shade of gray. I watched plenty of Astros games then on tv as a kid and I swear it always looked white to me. I just figured the amount of color in the jersey qualified it to be "some other color" as the rules stipulate for road uniforms.

LT

I think (and I have the CD at home, so I'm not totally sure), but Bill Henderson said it's one uniform, home and away. The Astros wore out the uniform set, which is why it is very rare to find a game-worn Astros jersey from that era that isn't just wrecked from all the washings.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived