What pro athletes grew up in your town?

nwtrailtrekker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only pro athletes from my town (Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania) were some minor league baseball players. However, Olympic gold medalist Walter Tewksbury (a hurdler in the 1900 Games) was from here.

Baseball Hall-of-Famer Christy Mathewson is from the next town over, Factoryville.

(Interesting coincidence: Tewksbury won his first gold medal the same day that Mathewson pitched his first MLB game for the NY Giants.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Pensacolahas quite a few, but the Fort Walton area doesn't have many. We have Danny Wuerffel,my high school had a lot of past NFL and Arena players, and DJ Hall of the Crimson Tide who is probablyh going to go pro eventually.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I know that this is slightly off-topic, but in the 40s & 50s, the Saint Louis Browns held training camp here in Burbank, California at Olive Park now George Izay Park. This was the same field that the Los Angeles Rams used in the 50s. Also in the 90s it was rumored that the Los Angeles Clippers would play on the old Lockheed ground where WWII planes were built just across the railroad tracks from my place. Now onto the athletes...

Freddy Sanchez - Pittsburgh Pirates - Burbank Bulldogs

Jaclyn Johnson - WNBA - Bell-Jeff Guards

Lynn Shakleford - UCLA Bruins - Chick Hearn's analyst - John Burroughs Indians

Tyler Newton - Pro Basketball in Thailand - John Burroughs Indians

(both Shakleford and Newton are members of the JBHS Athletic Hall of Fame)

about 10 miles north of here, John Elway attended Granada Hills High School

From Milwaukee/metro area:

Latrell Sprewell- NBA

Brian Calhoun- NFL (RB Detroit Lions)from Oak Creek

Mark Wilson- PGA (fellow Alumn from Wisconsin Lutheran HS)

Reginald "The Crusher" Liskowski- former pro wrestler

Steve Novak- NBA (Houston Rockets)from Brown Deer and played for Marquette

Candice Michelle- WWE Diva

Craig Counsell- MLB (Arizona D'Backs)from Whitefish Bay

Dan Jansen- Olympic Speedskater from Greenfield

Alan Kulwicki- former NASCAR Driver

Terry Porter- NBA

Allan H. "Bud" Selig- MLB Commisioner

Bob Ueker- MLB Player and personality

Devin Harris- NBA (Dallas Mavericks)from Wauwatosa

packchampionslfroh.png

Some of the famous athletes born in Cincinnati

Zach Day ? Major League Baseball pitcher

David Justice ? Major League Baseball player

Barry Larkin ? Major League Baseball, 1995 National League MVP

Ron Oester ? Major League Baseball player

Pete Rose ? Major League Baseball player, holds record for most hits in a career

Don Zimmer ? Major League Baseball player and manager

Roger Staubach ? Dallas Cowboys football Hall of Famer

Signature intentionally left blank

Steve Novak- NBA (Houston Rockets)from Brown Deer and played for Marquette

Both of my brothers went to HS with Steve Novak, my youngest brother used to get rides to school with him because he was good friends with his younger brother (who redshirted last year at Michigan Tech)

QPR%20Sig.png

Pensacolahas quite a few, but the Fort Walton area doesn't have many.  We have Danny Wuerffel,my high school had a lot of past NFL and Arena players, and DJ Hall of the Crimson Tide who is probablyh going to go pro eventually.

Ya' damn skippy Pensacola (and the greater Pensacola area) has quite a few. The city may not be all that big, but it can boast a pretty good list of prominent (and formerly prominent) athletes. Let's take it from the top:

-Emmitt Smith, formerly of the Dallas Cowboys, Escambia High School, Pensacola (damn near everything at that high school's named after him)

-Derrick Brooks, Washington High School, Pensacola (also my blood-1st cousin)

-Roy Jones Jr., Washington High School, Pensacola (he and Deke have several buildings named after them at that school)

Justin Gatlin, Woodham High School, Pensacola (actually, he's a native of NYC but grew up in Pensacola form age 8)

And then some lesser-known names:

-Buck Showalter, born in DeFuniak Springs, about 15-20 minutes east of Ft. Walton Beach. Spent some of his youth living in Pensacola and after baseball retired back to Pensacola. Left the place a lil while ago, though.

-Reggie Evans, Woodham High School, Pensacola. Played at U. of Iowa, then played with the Seattle Sonics before getting traded to the Denver Nuggets.

-Jay Bell, Tate High School, Gonzalez (about 15 minutes north of Pensacola); born in nearby Eglin AFB, FL. Scored the winning run for the AZ D'backs in the 2001 World Series against the NY Yankees; also spent time with the Pittsburgh Pirates and KC Royals, among other teams)

-Mark Whiten, former OF for the St. Louis Cardinals and Cleveland Indians, among other teams

-and for you oldheads out there, Don Sutton, Hall-of-fame pitcher for the LA Dodgers back in the '60s (actually, he was born in Clio, AL, but grew up in a little town called Molino, about 40 min Ne of Pensacola)

*bonus: not that it matters, but about 40 minutes west of Pensacola is the city of Mobile, AL, hometown of all-time greats Henry "Hank" Aaron and Satchel Paige.

EDIT: somehow I forgot to include Michelle Snow in this. Was a former All-American at the U. of Tennessee before moving on to the WNBA's Houston Comets. Went to high school with her.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

East Meadow, Long Island, New York

--Dr. J

--Frank Viola

There are a couple of other guys not as good to play professionally.

But East Meadows most famous product other than Criss Angel and Elanor Roosevelt is Joel Rifkin the serial killer.

Joel Rifkin is the serial killer with the worst publicist ever. I remember he got arrested when he crashed his car in front of the Nassau County Courthouse.

I thought Dr J was from Roosevelt, never realized he was born in East Meadow.

From my hometown (Just off the top of my head)

Marlon Greenwood (LB- Houston Texans) was a year behind me in HS

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (T- NY Jets) my sister grew up with him

The only other thing is my High School is a block over from Joey Buttafuco's former auto body shop.

Bucco, try about 40 to 45 minutes northeast

In reference to...what?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well, Dwayne Jarrett grew up in my hometown of New Brunswick, now for athletes who have grown up in my current town. South Amboy/Sayreville. I actually live in Sayreville but there's a big crack down the middle of the street, one side is Sayreville, the other is South Amboy. I have a South Amboy zip code. Enough rambling. Tom Kelly, former Minnesota Twins manager who led them to two world titles grew up in South Amboy and so did Allie Clark. He's got the little league field in South Amboy named after him. My grandfather knew Allie Clark back in the day. Jon Bon Jovi ain't no athlete, but he grew up in Sayreville, in fact he went to my school.

Archived