UVa football change

ShaftDu

now outline the numbers!

I'll agree there. If they're going to outline the "V" logo in orange and use the orange as an accent, one would think the next logical step would be to put a thin outline around the numbers. Being that it's white on blue, I don't think it would distract much or make the numbers difficult to read.

EDIT: Here, I mocked up a quick edit using Paint just for a simple outline. I think this looks a lot better.

virginia.png

now outline the numbers!

I was just thinking how much I liked it without an orange outline. And if you're looking for more orange on these jerseys the names on the back are spelled out in orange block lettering.

PvO6ZWJ.png

mttd_bell001b.jpg

And it looks like they got orange at the neck

He has an orange shirt underneath the jersey. I don't think the jersey itself has any orange at the neck.

No, there is an orange thing on the neck. You can just barely see it - it has the V sword logo on it. It is one of the pointless and ridiculous neck flap things that started in the in the NFL with the Broncos, and has expanded to many more teams.

The NY Giants have a similar thing to Virginia - their blue jerseys have a red neck thing, and that is the only red in their jersey.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

He has an orange shirt underneath the jersey.  I don't think the jersey itself has any orange at the neck.

It's on all the jerseys:

1ja4.jpg

It also looks like they changed the nameplate and number font (at least the 4), removed the TV numbers (which ED4050 alluded to), and made the blue stripes on the pants thinner:

2ll7.jpg

From 2005:

3vh8.jpg

2006 Meet The Team Day Photo Gallery

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I am not a fan of the look, but do they still have the two "spikes" on the front of the helmet instead of regular stripes?

Those "spikes" don't fit the Cavs look at all.

I wish my team, Bowling Green would adopt a spike variation. Ever since BG switched to nuevo piping on the jersey and spikes on the pants I think the browns-like stripes on the helmet looks out of place.

BG unis and helmet for reference:

rip6.gif

fade.gif

I am not a fan of the look, but do they still have the two "spikes" on the front of the helmet instead of regular stripes?

Looks like it:

1sy8.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Am I the only one that thinks that if the numbers are white, the names should be too?

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

That's what I didn't like about the Cavs uniforms, the spikes. They just don't seem to fit and on top of that they are orange. Either do the classic three stripes rotating between white and orange or go with no stripes at all.

That's what I didn't like about the Cavs uniforms, the spikes. They just don't seem to fit and on top of that they are orange. Either do the classic three stripes rotating between white and orange or go with no stripes at all.

Of course it fits. It mimics the ends of the two swords in the logo. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Hands down one of the best uniforms in college football.

I love the way they tip toe the line between a classic simple uniform with the one color numbers and then use small elements of a more modern look with the pointed helmet stripes, the new orange element on the collar and so forth. To me it's very unique and I equate it to a Camden Yards, where you are creating something brand new that takes advantage of all of the modern advances that have been made in the uniform industry, but your are creating something that is very traditional that you can wear forever. I also thinks it works much better than say the Auburn uniform or other basic russell or nike unifroms is because I think for this look to work best (and Penn State does it also) is that you need sewn on numbers. It also helps to have the more modern fitted designed uniforms so that the numbers really pop. I also like how the V with the orange on the sleeve really pops off of the blue. I will say I am a proponent on having the name color match the number color, but you can't have it all. I alos LOVE the helmet. Simple and clean and ark. Very nice.

One thing I am not sure of is how come when someone tries something different with uniforms, everyone here tries to change them so they look like everyone else's. Adding a stroke to the numbers would make it look like any other uniform, taking away the pointed helmet stoke would do the same. This is supposed to be a somewhat progressive thought community, but everyone wants to keep the status quo. I don't get it.

I really like what they did. Good update and i think probally one of the best in college. Im glad they didnt really change anything or go over dramatic. Anywaze good on what they stuck with and will be nice to see them in action.

4kv29i.jpg

being in Cville, I can tell you guys just some background on VA digs. Back in the early '90s, UVa had the Penn State look where they look like a bunch of cue ball heads. George Walsh's son actually design the sabre and we went with blue with the stripeless pants like every other college team was doing at the time. Infact they did have the orange outline with the numbers.

They were okay but when Al Groh came to town, he changed it to look more NFLish. He added the names on the back, something Welsh would have never done. And Groh added the blue socks, kinda of like the pros. And finally which I think he thought the stripes on the helmet was a modern look because you got Ravens/Titans sporting the look. Groh wanted to tweak the unis into his eraa. Most every UVa fan likes the stripes.

Now, there is a movement here in Cville to get him to push out orange alts. They were a high seller online. Groh is so so about getting them.

Archived