New NHL nets tested

OMMF

So apparently at a prospects tournament in Toronto, some new nets were brought out that were expanded both width-wise and in height.

s5030307fd6.jpg

Weren't the new rules enough? Wouldn't smaller goalie equipment be a better solution?

Why don't they just wheel in a soccer goal and be done with it?

We're talking about a hockey puck that can be zipped into a goal at over 100 mph. At this rate you could have two goalies covering the net and you'd still have all kind of space and the more space you have, the less accurate you need to be to score.

:hockeysmiley:

I'm all in favor of smaller pads and better rules to make more scoring. But at one point you have to draw the line. More offense is good, but it shouldn't be a cakewalk either.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

You traditionalist. I love firewagon hockey, and I love highscoring games like 7-6. They literally keep you on your feet because when someone comes over the blue line you never know. Look at Atlanta Thrashers games, all highscoring and fun!

If I wanted to see 1-0 games I'd watch soccer.

Gid, just firggin leave the game alone for two years, let the new rules have a chance to catch on. Scoring was increaced last year, and they didn't have to make the nets bigger. Now we have th rules making hte game faster, opening up more scoring oppertunities.

Mr. bettman, please stop :censored:ing around with the game and leave thigns alone for two seasons, please!

You traditionalist. I love firewagon hockey, and I love highscoring games like 7-6. They literally keep you on your feet because when someone comes over the blue line you never know. Look at Atlanta Thrashers games, all highscoring and fun!

7-6 is the score after 1 period with a net like that.

I like how you say "You traditionalist..." and your handle is Original6..funny!

7-6 games are fun like once a month. Seeing that every night would make me hate it, it would be like indoor lacrosse where goals are cheap and meaningless. I'll take a 3-2 game over an 8-5 game any day.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bring it on... more offense!

More scoring does not equal more offense.

elimination of the neutral zone and two line passes means more offence. More goals just means that more chances are converted to goals. You could score 5 goals a game on 12 shots, you get alot of goals, but you don't get alot of offence.

Here you have a bigger net, you still need to get the puck down the ice, beat the defence, beat the goalie and get a shot in. A bigger net just means that a shot is more likely to hit the net, it doesn't mean your offense is going to skyrocket

Look at Atlanta Thrashers games, all highscoring and fun!

Look at Atlanta Thrashers games, not transpiring in the postseason!

You underestimate the value of a good goaltending duel.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How big is that net...anyone have dimensions?

If they actually decide to use this, goalie stats will go way down. With a net this big, the shooter hardly has to make a move. If they're remotely decent at picking a corner, they could probably score on at least half of their shots.

They actually look more square now, maybe 5X6...

I don't know. I agree with everyone else that offence and scoring are different things. The number of chances in a game has increased, so there's no reason to change the nets.

philly.png

7-6 games are fun like once a month. Seeing that every night would make me hate it, it would be like indoor lacrosse where goals are cheap and meaningless. I'll take a 3-2 game over an 8-5 game any day.

Totally agree. Enough with trying to up the scoring to indoor Lacrosse levels. The great thing about hockey is that every goal is so important. Every goal no matter what time of the game it is scored completely changes the way the game is played (unless it's a late blowout goal). That big game winning or game turning goal can come at any point of the game the first minute or the last minute or somewhere in between. There is nervousness that happens whenever the puck enters the zone, because the next shot could be the one that does your team in. It makes it to where you have to watch the whole game. A great example is that quick first period goal on the road in the playoffs; it completely takes the crowd out of the game. Now look at a high scoring sport like Basketball, if the visitor gets the first basket does it take the crowd out of the game? No. Is there that nervousness every time the ball enters your team?s side of the court? No. A close basketball game doesn't get exciting until the final 2 minutes. A close hockey game is exciting through out.

Here's is another thought, the more the do to dramatically increase scoring the more they do to increase blowouts and the less exciting games they get.

They need to stop with the rule changes. I agree they needed to open it up a little bit to allow more comebacks (although I think they went to far where it has become a penalty fest). That said making the net isn't going to bring more fans into the games. Rule changes don't do that because the people who aren't already fans don't know what they do. The NHL needs to start promoting the product they have, which is a great one. I've never heard of someone going to a hockey game and not becoming a fan afterward. Unfortunately however this current leadership in the league as well the ones in the past have been horrific when it comes to promotions.

Archived