Florida Rays?

Survival79

The 'Florida' Rays? It Could Happen

By JOE HENDERSON The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 13, 2006

TAMPA - The Devil Rays are preparing a whole new look for the 2008 season - new colors, uniforms, logo, and perhaps even a new name. And although the team says it likely will keep the name "Tampa Bay," officials are at least considering changing to "Florida."

"In my opinion it's 90-plus percent we'll stay [Tampa Bay]," Rays president Matt Silverman said, but he acknowledged the team hasn't ruled out changing to a statewide name.

Mayor Rick Baker of St. Petersburg has suggested using that city's name for the franchise, since the Rays play in Tropicana Field there, but Silverman said that won't happen.

"If [Tampa Bay] went away, it would be to get bigger, not smaller," he said.

The name "Florida" is already used by the Marlins but politicians there have said they'd want the team to change to "Miami" as a caveat for building a new stadium. All of that is under negotiation.

The makeover of the Rays likely will receive the team's full attention this winter, with an announcement of changes to come next May or June in advance of the 2008 season. The team considered such changes for next year but decided to study any moves further.

"There will be a change in '08," Silverman said. "It might just be the uniforms. It might the colors. It might be a refreshing of the logo. It might be the name. Or it could be everything.

"Think of it in the way the Bucs changed when the Glazers came in - new colors, flag, logo. That's what we're looking at."

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, come on. If St. Petersburg built their crappy dome in the first place, they at least owe it to the city to use that name. Are people really so petty as to abandon the team because it's called St. Petersburg instead of Tampa Bay? THAT IS WHERE THE TEAM PLAYS. And don't even get me started on "Florida."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That would be odd to see the Florida Rays and the Miami Marlins in a couple years. If the Rays were actually good (ROFL) and were on national TV a lot, the FLA abbreviation would throw a lot of people off. In general calling them "Florida" would too.

The Miami Marlins makes sense, since they do play at Pro Player Stadium in Miami. But I think the Devil Rays should stay as Tampa Bay, that's probably where most of there fan base is, as opposed to the rest of the state.

Yeah, but they probably want to get more fans from around the state.

saBS.png

The Miami Marlins makes sense, since they do play at Pro Player Stadium in Miami. But I think the Devil Rays should stay as Tampa Bay, that's probably where most of there fan base is, as opposed to the rest of the state.

Yeah, but they probably want to get more fans from around the state.

That's gonna be pretty hard, considering they ARE the Devil Rays and all.

yankeesbanner3xe5.jpg

Oh, come on. If St. Petersburg built their crappy dome in the first place, they at least owe it to the city to use that name. Are people really so petty as to abandon the team because it's called St. Petersburg instead of Tampa Bay? THAT IS WHERE THE TEAM PLAYS. And don't even get me started on "Florida."

Well they do play in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay is the name of the entire region that includes St. Petersburg.

Dolphins Stadium isn't in Miami.

Florida is tricky when it comes to baseball team. The state is a very transient where many people have alleginces to their hometown team from back where they are originally from. Then many people have allegences to the teams that call their individual towns home for spring training. Then on top of that the weather sucks for baseball in the summer. It rains every single day during the summer. That leaves the team to have a crappy dome like the D-Rays or have constant rainouts and delays like the Marlins. Either way they don't tend to draw crowds as people are reluctant to buy tickets in advance because they won't know for sure what the weather is like.

Oh, come on. If St. Petersburg built their crappy dome in the first place, they at least owe it to the city to use that name. Are people really so petty as to abandon the team because it's called St. Petersburg instead of Tampa Bay?

Considering the Rays fans' contention that the real reason nobody goes to the games is not the poor market but the stadium's location in St. Pete, that doesn't seem so far-fetched....

Well they do play in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay is the name of the entire region that includes St. Petersburg.

Exactly. Tampa is the name of the actual city. Tampa Bay is Tampa and the surrounding areas and towns.

Oh, come on. If St. Petersburg built their crappy dome in the first place, they at least owe it to the city to use that name. Are people really so petty as to abandon the team because it's called St. Petersburg instead of Tampa Bay?

Considering the Rays fans' contention that the real reason nobody goes to the games is not the poor market but the stadium's location in St. Pete, that doesn't seem so far-fetched....

Well I don't think it is the location in St. Pete it the fact that you can't get to it without driving and fighting traffic on 295 if you are coming from Tampa. There isn't any mass transit to the stadium (although there is pretty much no mass transit in the area period). The difficulties on getting to the stadium and the crappiness of the stadium are what the stadium issues.

Well I don't think it is the location in St. Pete it the fact that you can't get to it without driving and fighting traffic on 295 if you are coming from Tampa. There isn't any mass transit to the stadium (although there is pretty much no mass transit in the area period). The difficulties on getting to the stadium and the crappiness of the stadium are what the stadium issues.

I know, I've heard it, but it still seems like whinging to me. Real baseball fans go to games, even if the stadium isn't the most convenient. You still go to games.

Ironically, the stadium lease is the only thing keeping the Rays in the Tampa Bay area. It's a catch-22. They complain that the stadium keeps fans away, yet the team can't exist without that particular stadium.

i live rite down the road from pro player its in sunrise. the panthers are down here in south florida but their still the florida panthers. just drop the devil from devil rays like everyone already speculated and leave everything else the same. And i think it would be hilarious if my marlins make it to the world series. finally we can actull see people and not bland orange seats. are they orange i forget already?

-sharplcd

All the whining from BOTH Florida teams about getting to stadiums is pathetic. Real fans find a way to go. If Fenway Park was on an island, Red Sox fans would break out their rafts. You know what, guys, just don't have regular season baseball. Host spring training and see the northeastern teams you actually follow and would gladly pay to watch for a month, and then never be heard from again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

All the whining from BOTH Florida teams about getting to stadiums is pathetic. Real fans find a way to go. If Fenway Park was on an island, Red Sox fans would break out their rafts. You know what, guys, just don't have regular season baseball. Host spring training and see the northeastern teams you actually follow and would gladly pay to watch for a month, and then never be heard from again.

In defense of the Marlins, it doesn't rain in Boston 9 days out of every 10 and your owners haven't actively been killing the franchise.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Have you been to either stadium? They both suck something awful. If the Red Sox played in a poophole like the Trop, no one would go. And as for St. Petersburg...no one wants to associate their team with a retirement community.

Oh, and the Tampa Yankees are the Florida State League Class A team for the New York Yankees, playing in a MUCH nicer, albeit smaller, ballpark across the street from the New Sombrero.

Cards.png

Have you been to either stadium? They both suck something awful. If the Red Sox played in a poophole like the Trop, no one would go. And as for St. Petersburg...no one wants to associate their team with a retirement community.

Oh, and the Tampa Yankees are the Florida State League Class A team for the New York Yankees, playing in a MUCH nicer, albeit smaller, ballpark across the street from the New Sombrero.

agreed. If a game is a pain in the ass to get to, I'm not going as often, and I'm sure as heck not getting season tickets. If there is the possiblity of it getting rained out every other night, I'm not going to risk it. There are better things to do, no matter how big of a fan I am of a team. If it comes down to checking in on a rain delay on tv every now and then, or dealing with 2 hours of traffic just to go to a rainout twice a week, I'm going to take the money I saved on tickets and buy a nice new couch.

Interesting its always called "whining" from fans of teams with good stadiums. I don't hear too many Oakland or Minnesota fans calling it "whining" cause they know what its like to watch baseball in a football stadium. It sucks.

Archived