Florida Rays?

Survival79

I believe "Miami Gardens" is where Dolphin Stadium is located. The Florida Panthers play in Sunrise.

I agree that "Florida Rays" might initially cause some confusion, especially if the Marlins change at the same time. However, if there is some overlap using "FLR" and "FLM" I think the transition will go fine. In fact, even if the Marlins change they should use FLR for a while. Funny that the Rays used to want to force the Marlins to go away from Florida because they weren't the only team, and now they're considering it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the whining from BOTH Florida teams about getting to stadiums is pathetic. Real fans find a way to go. If Fenway Park was on an island, Red Sox fans would break out their rafts. You know what, guys, just don't have regular season baseball. Host spring training and see the northeastern teams you actually follow and would gladly pay to watch for a month, and then never be heard from again.

Have you been to either stadium? They both suck something awful. If the Red Sox played in a poophole like the Trop, no one would go. And as for St. Petersburg...no one wants to associate their team with a retirement community.

Oh, and the Tampa Yankees are the Florida State League Class A team for the New York Yankees, playing in a MUCH nicer, albeit smaller, ballpark across the street from the New Sombrero.

agreed. If a game is a pain in the ass to get to, I'm not going as often, and I'm sure as heck not getting season tickets. If there is the possiblity of it getting rained out every other night, I'm not going to risk it. There are better things to do, no matter how big of a fan I am of a team. If it comes down to checking in on a rain delay on tv every now and then, or dealing with 2 hours of traffic just to go to a rainout twice a week, I'm going to take the money I saved on tickets and buy a nice new couch.

Interesting its always called "whining" from fans of teams with good stadiums. I don't hear too many Oakland or Minnesota fans calling it "whining" cause they know what its like to watch baseball in a football stadium. It sucks.

I'll say it about my team's stadium - Miller Park sucks. Sucks. No atmosphere at all, the only way to get there is by car, and when you do it's more cavernous warehouse than ballpark. The damn roof looms overhead, blocking out the sun on a beautiful day. We traded County Stadium for this? County Stadium might have been a little worn down, it might have been a little basic, but it was a great place to watch a game.

Still, doesn't matter. I go to a game every single time I go back to Milwaukee. Because I'm a fan. Real fans go even when the stadium is bad. They go even when the team is bad.

The whining from Tampa fans about having to go all the way to St. Pete is, frankly, pathetic. They don't deserve a team.

ANYWAYS...

"Rays" however makes me want to gag.  "Stingrays" works, but just "Rays" is going to suck.

I agree. Go with Tampa Bay Stingrays or don't change the name at all.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Oh, come on. If St. Petersburg built their crappy dome in the first place, they at least owe it to the city to use that name. Are people really so petty as to abandon the team because it's called St. Petersburg instead of Tampa Bay? THAT IS WHERE THE TEAM PLAYS. And don't even get me started on "Florida."

The team is thinking into the FUTURE, not the PRESENT. Just because they play in St.Pete NOW it doesn't mean that they aren't looking into playing in Tampa somewhere down the line. It would be foolish to base an entire identity on St.Pete as opposed to Tampa Bay or Florida.

Not to go too O.T. but the Rays Spring Training, starting in 2009 and going for 20 years, will be in my town Port Charlotte. It's not exactly a great trade off from the Rangers and I'm not sure if they're going to bring us their Minor League team but it's nice to have Professional Baseball back. We also have the South Coast League coming to our Stadium.

Not to go too far OT, but marlinfan, I love that old Miami Marlins logo in your avatar.

Maybe if the Marlins do change their city name, Ebbets Field Flannels will make this Satchel Paige jersey:

satchel.gif

Those are AWESOME uniforms. Florida Marlins, Miami Marlins... I don't care but just change the current look to match that!

All the whining from BOTH Florida teams about getting to stadiums is pathetic. Real fans find a way to go. If Fenway Park was on an island, Red Sox fans would break out their rafts. You know what, guys, just don't have regular season baseball. Host spring training and see the northeastern teams you actually follow and would gladly pay to watch for a month, and then never be heard from again.

Have you been to either stadium? They both suck something awful. If the Red Sox played in a poophole like the Trop, no one would go. And as for St. Petersburg...no one wants to associate their team with a retirement community.

Oh, and the Tampa Yankees are the Florida State League Class A team for the New York Yankees, playing in a MUCH nicer, albeit smaller, ballpark across the street from the New Sombrero.

agreed. If a game is a pain in the ass to get to, I'm not going as often, and I'm sure as heck not getting season tickets. If there is the possiblity of it getting rained out every other night, I'm not going to risk it. There are better things to do, no matter how big of a fan I am of a team. If it comes down to checking in on a rain delay on tv every now and then, or dealing with 2 hours of traffic just to go to a rainout twice a week, I'm going to take the money I saved on tickets and buy a nice new couch.

Interesting its always called "whining" from fans of teams with good stadiums. I don't hear too many Oakland or Minnesota fans calling it "whining" cause they know what its like to watch baseball in a football stadium. It sucks.

I'll say it about my team's stadium - Miller Park sucks. Sucks. No atmosphere at all, the only way to get there is by car, and when you do it's more cavernous warehouse than ballpark. The damn roof looms overhead, blocking out the sun on a beautiful day. We traded County Stadium for this? County Stadium might have been a little worn down, it might have been a little basic, but it was a great place to watch a game.

Still, doesn't matter. I go to a game every single time I go back to Milwaukee. Because I'm a fan. Real fans go even when the stadium is bad. They go even when the team is bad.

The whining from Tampa fans about having to go all the way to St. Pete is, frankly, pathetic. They don't deserve a team.

Want to trade ballparks? :P

Anyways, it may sound petty but there is another reason why I want to change to Miami or even South Florida (eh, maybe not). Four different times the Marlins and the county have gone to Tally asking for a $60 million rebate to build the stadium. In all four occassions, $60 million would have pretty much sealed the deal for stadiums. Everytime we go up there, the Central and Northern Florida :censored:wads shoot down the bill playing the "My constituents don't want to pay for South Fla's stadium." When infact the $60 million is coming from revenues generated at the stadium, not one penny is coming from those counties, unless those constituents actually go to the stadium.

I don't now if this will ever happen, but I really wish South Fla could break away and form another state. The North Floridians really like screwing over us in every major bill they pass.

Well that's enough....

/End rant

1997 | 2003

No... no, "Florida" name! The location identifier of "Tampa Bay" must stay.

The Devil Rays represent the entire Tampa-St. Petersburg area (Tampa Bay) here.

You have the other professional sports teams there with the "Tampa Bay" name. Why change it for this one?

C'mon, it's bad enough that the Florida Marlins and Florida Panthers have the state name

and both sports have one other team in the Sunshine State.

We realize the significance of the state name in the Florida Panthers and Texas Rangers as examples.

So I'll have to accept their names. When the Panthers joined the NHL, I wish it were named after Miami.

I agree, the Tampa Bay Stingrays is the only name change I like. Tarpons? Not sure.

But not Rays! People will think of sun rays instead of stingrays or "devilrays".

Just tweak the logo (I don't even mind the original Devil Ray logo without the wordmark)

a refresh the team color scheme with new colors. If green is still in it, brighten it just a little bit.

Not to go too O.T. but the Rays Spring Training, starting in 2009 and going for 20 years, will be in my town Port Charlotte. It's not exactly a great trade off from the Rangers and I'm not sure if they're going to bring us their Minor League team but it's nice to have Professional Baseball back. We also have the South Coast League coming to our Stadium.

It wouldn't surprise me if that South Coast League team folds (whether just that team or the league as a whole) by the time the Rays make their way to Port Charlotte. I don't see MLB letting an independent league team housed where Spring Training is held.

In my opinion, if the D-Rays drop "Devil" an go by the Rays, I can see them keeping the same or similar identity they have now, just maybe lightening up the shade of blue and adding more of it, while keeping the green the primary color.

If the D-Rays are to change their name (which I'd rather they not), a name with history in this area like Tarpons could fly more than you can think, since it was a minor league team in the area for so long. Saints may be another option, since it was a minor league team in St. Pete, and would give a sense of the city of St. Petersburg, where they play. Pelicans was another name I liked.

Archived