Penguins sold?

CC97

TSN was reporting last night that the Pittsburgh Penguins were sold to a Toronto-area businessman for $175 mil.

TSN Article

And apparently this guy purchased the exclusive rights to have an NHL hockey team at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TSN was reporting last night that the Pittsburgh Penguins were sold to a Toronto-area businessman for $175 mil.

TSN Article

And apparently this guy purchased the exclusive rights to have an NHL hockey team at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton.

Another GTA team eh? I smell a CFL like rivalry brewing. The propect of Crosby playing that close is making me all nipply.

I can see alot of resistance from this if the team is going to be moved (it still has to be approved, and there are all levels of hell when trying to even start to move a team, I'm sure) from both the Maple Leafs and by teh Sabers, and maybe even the Wings. Toronto'll claim a deminished fanbase, which is bull :censored:. THe corporate suits will sell out that stupid arena even if hte joe-sixpacks in the uplevels go somewhere else. The Leafs won't lose fans at that level.

If anything, it'd create a huge rivalry between the two. They'd be closer than Ottawa and Buffalo, and there's already a rivalry from the CFL. I think it'd benefit the Leafs. Maybe even the Sabres, since they'd be close. I know Buffalo claims some areas of Southern Ontario, since there are fans who will drive down for games.

Still the issue of the team leaving Pittsburgh though. It doesn't bode well that the buyer is a Canadian firm IMO. Even though the Habs new owners didn't think of moving the team when they bought, if this guy has rights for Copps, then you gotta think he'll want to move them. That's what has me thinking. If he has the rights to an NHL sized arena thats ready to go, why wait around in Pittsburgh for a new one there? Could be dark days ahead for the Pens...

I like the idea of a team in Hamilton. The rivalry with the Leafs would be amazing, there's already an arena ready to go (unlike in Pittsburgh), and you have a guaranteed fan base. The Leafs will lose some fans, that's true, but they have more then enough to make up the loss.

Buffalo may have some rights over southern Ontario, but I don't think that includes Hamilton. I don't think the Sabres have much, if any, of a fan base there.

The only question now is....

Hamilton Penguins or Hamilton Tigers :flagcanada:

The only question now is....

Hamilton Penguins or Hamilton Tigers :flagcanada:

Hamilton Bulldogs.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Well, I am about to head over to Mellon Arena for what could possibly be the last Penguins' home opener.

The new owner has come out and said that he, "looks forward to many years of Penguins' hockey in PIttsburgh." On the radio earlier Mark Madden went over the numbers. If he decides to move to Hamilton (If, and only if, a new arena doesn't get built in Pittsburgh) he would have to pay about $75 mil. to both Toronto and Buffalo. Plus the arena in Hamilton needs about $150 mil put into it to make it a viable NHL venue. Thats already covering the cost of building the new arena in Pittsburgh. I am confident that something is going to get worked out soon and the Pens won't be moving, but it's probably only a fools hope.

You know, I never liked the Browns or Oilers, but I feel for their fans now. This sucks.

TSN Article

Another GTA team eh? I smell a CFL like rivalry brewing. The propect of Crosby playing that close is making me all nipply.

I can see alot of resistance from this if the team is going to be moved (it still has to be approved, and there are all levels of hell when trying to even start to move a team, I'm sure) from both the Maple Leafs and by teh Sabers, and maybe even the Wings. Toronto'll claim a deminished fanbase, which is bull :censored:. THe corporate suits will sell out that stupid arena even if hte joe-sixpacks in the uplevels go somewhere else. The Leafs won't lose fans at that level.

If anything, it'd create a huge rivalry between the two. They'd be closer than Ottawa and Buffalo, and there's already a rivalry from the CFL. I think it'd benefit the Leafs. Maybe even the Sabres, since they'd be close. I know Buffalo claims some areas of Southern Ontario, since there are fans who will drive down for games.

Still the issue of the team leaving Pittsburgh though. It doesn't bode well that the buyer is a Canadian firm IMO. Even though the Habs new owners didn't think of moving the team when they bought, if this guy has rights for Copps, then you gotta think he'll want to move them. That's what has me thinking. If he has the rights to an NHL sized arena thats ready to go, why wait around in Pittsburgh for a new one there? Could be dark days ahead for the Pens...

There are two misleading points. Waterloo is nowhere near Toronto and Hamilton is not part of the GTA. :P Moving the team to Hamilton would be quite an effort. The Leafs would not be affected by the move, the Sabres would. But if team actually moves to Hamilton, it would appropriate for the team to at least keep colours. After all, Hamilton is also a steel town that already has a black and gold football team.

I saw, I came, I left.

i wouldnt mind another canadian team. I would like to see winnipeg get a team before hamilton though but the nhl clearly dosn't want the nhl to go there and to hamilton either. the nhl is trying to get a stronger fanbase in america so i think they would like the penguins to move to a place like houstan

They're staying in Pittsburgh.

Copps Coliseum in Hamilton is a dump. :flagcanada:

They are staying in Pittsburgh IF they get an arena. Mellon's a bigger dump than Copps will ever be.

No arena, the team moves (maybe not to Hamilton, but the team will move).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived