Disc Golf

paynomind

I played Disc Golf, or Frisbie Golf, or Fgolf, or Folf, depending on what you like to call it, for the first time yestarday.

I enjoyed it. It was a fun excuse to take a walk through the park. The course I played, in a aprk near my hosue was all through the woods, down hills, through clearings, with streams and pond for water hazzards and the whole bit.

I borrowed my friend's "All Purpose driver" disc. I really always thought the whole bag of discs was needless. I see the need for a couple different types, though I still don't see more than 3 or 4.

Anyone have any reccomendations on purchasing discs? Brands, types, styles, websites, etc?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

you think you know someone, eh? you could have just asked me this question directly, as i've played disc golf countless times.

i only use an all purpose driver and a putter disc. but then again, i'm a cheapskate and you know this.

my driver is an Innova Cheetah, works well for my purposes. i usually throw it sidearm, baseball style. my putter is an Innova Rhyno, which i throw more in the frisbee style.

there's a great course right by my house, next time you come to visit, bring your stuff, we'll go for a stroll.

Man, I haven't played disc golf since I moved from Fernie. A friend of mine set up a course in a park down there and got me hooked, at least for a little while. I really should play more often.

I picked up three discs about the time I started playing: an Innova Champion TeeBird driver; an Innova Gator mid-range control disc; and an Innova Thumtrac Birdie putt and approach disc. I've always had trouble keeping my drives low and straight, but that's not the disc's fault. The other two, from what I remember, worked very nicely.

Disc golf is huge here. We have around eight courses and trying to get on one during the weekend is tough. I agree carrying a backpack around with a dozen discs is probably overkill. I typically bring a driver (Innova Stingray) and a heavy mid-range disc (Innova Shark....great all purpose disc). I don't like the 'putters' they have, so I use the Shark for putting.

Anyone here ever get a hole in one? I had one clank out on a 150 ft hole...closest I ever got.

newsig.jpg

There is a great course at a park in my town and goes through the woods, a few creeks, and by an "eternal flame". I usually just use whatever discs my friend has I don't even know what they are. But we usually go once a month or so it is very fun. I have never had a hole-in-one but I did hit the "hole" once and bounced back onto the ground.

saBS.png

I used to be really into Frisbee Disc sports including Golf, Freestyle and Ultimate. I traded discs with two Frisbee World champions, Vic Malafronte and John Kirkland and also met the Frisbee Disc Professionals "The Aces". This was way back when you guys were just pups. Glad to see the sport is still thriving! :D

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

I'm certainly not great, but it sure is fun.

I found a couple websites with some reviews, pieced together some stuff from various sources.

There are many courses, in just about every park around here.

I am about to buy a TeeBird, and an XD. Everything i read about the Innova XD was that it is a phenominal disc. I like having good equipment, so I can blame my lack of talent 100% rather than excuse myself by blaming the equipment.

The good news with Disc Golf, is that a great disc is $14!!

Rock on.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I personally prefer Innova discs, especially the Innova champion edition Teebird. The champion editions cost more than the normal ones, but it's well worth it as they definately last longer.

I personally prefer Innova discs, especially the Innova champion edition Teebird. The champion editions cost more than the normal ones, but it's well worth it as they definately last longer.

It's funny you mention it, because thats one of the ones I bought this week. A Champion Teebird.

I also got a Gateway Inferno, which they say is the longest Disc on the market.

I got an Innova XD for short game, and a Discraft Putt'r X Soft for putting.

I'm excited to get out and play the courses in the area.

ΓΔΒ!

• 7 months later...

Sorry about bumping up old threads, but I played for the first time today at school.

It was quite fun. We played a 9 hole course, but the holes were sticks with hula hoops on top of them so you had to be at the right angle to score. IT was okay;I got par or birdies on all of them. We played with a normal frisbee, so it was a little hard to control.

I'm currently looking for places to play around where I live. Payno, have you found any?

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Apparently Rock Hill, South Carolina is the disc golf capital of the world. Winthrop has a course (I think it's called Winthrop Gold) that hosts the world disc golf championships pretty often...I know it was here last year.

That said, I've played once. Last year, it was a sunny April day and my roommate and I were bored, so we went out, bought discs, and attempted the course. Somehow we got disoriented and on the third hole we played (which was actually Hole 17, they were in the process of remodeling the signs and whatnot for the world championships and there weren't any signs at this particular time) I curved mine right into Winthrop Lake. Spent 15 minutes knee-deep in water with a disgustingly gushy bottom with no luck finding my disc.

And that's the extent of my experience. :D I'm sure it's a blast, I've just never played again.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Hmmm, disc golf is something I've always wanted to try. Maybe after I'm done playing my Irish death sport.

Drinking?* ^_^

I'd like to give it a try once, but I'm lousy at throwing disks baseball style. I'd just have to backhand my way down. I'd probably be better at Ultimate than anything else.

* yes, I know you mean Hurling.

philly.png

Archived