"Stale" football uniforms

The Danimal

Does anybody else think that some teams in the NFL and college have uniforms that can be described as "stale"?

By this I mean they are neither modern nor classic - just kind of stuck in the middle. They may not even be necessarily "ugly", but just kind of old without being so traditional that people are really attached to them.

(For example, Penn State's unis are very plain, but they are not "stale" in the sense that the lack of flash is PSU's trademark.) Whereas the Cinncinnati Bengals' uniforms are butt-ugly but not stale as they are new and modern.

My choices for stale uniforms:

Washington Redskins

New Orleans Saints

Georgia Bulldogs

UCLA Bruins

Stanford Cardinal

Denver Broncos are now stale, just like the Falcons, Cardinals and Vikings soon will be. I guess that's by design, however.

Oregon State looks ridiculous and I think Oklahoma State is pretty bad too. I saw Pitt on ESPN tonight and their current set is pretty blah.

I think the Big 10, top to bottom, is the best of all major conferences. I can't think of a school in that conference in need of a change.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think the Big 10, top to bottom, is the best of all major conferences. I can't think of a school in that conference in need of a change.

Illinois didn't need a change 5 years ago. Problem is, then they changed twice. Now Champaign-Urbana is piping central.

Northwestern's modern set works for me, surprisingly. Though there is something inherently wrong with Northwestern not wearing, well, "Northwestern stripes." My favorite will always be the first unis of the Barnett era.

1992.gif

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Illinois didn't need a change 5 years ago. Problem is, then they changed twice. Now Champaign-Urbana is piping central.

Northwestern's modern set works for me, surprisingly. Though there is something inherently wrong with Northwestern not wearing, well, "Northwestern stripes." My favorite will always be the first unis of the Barnett era.

1992.gif

NW doesn't wear NW stripes??? Next you're going to tell me the BLUE Jays wear black. :P

KISSwall09.jpg

Does anybody else think that some teams in the NFL and college have uniforms that can be described as "stale"?

By this I mean they are neither modern nor classic - just kind of stuck in the middle. They may not even be necessarily "ugly", but just kind of old without being so traditional that people are really attached to them.

(For example, Penn State's unis are very plain, but they are not "stale" in the sense that the lack of flash is PSU's trademark.) Whereas the Cinncinnati Bengals' uniforms are butt-ugly but not stale as they are new and modern.

My choices for stale uniforms:

Washington Redskins

New Orleans Saints

Georgia Bulldogs

UCLA Bruins

Stanford Cardinal

Well if that's the case why didn't you list Green Bay, Indianapolis Colts, Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, and of course the almighty (trying not to laugh) Oakland Raiders? For me bland would be the Nike-fied teams, all these new stripe patterns that wrap everywhere including the butt, and the St. Louis Rams who have a dark and dreary color set for an indoor stadium. Of course that's my opinion as I like all the unis you listed especially the Bruins road jerseys. I just wish they'd go back to the Toledo era numbers outlined like current.

Well if that's the case why didn't you list Green Bay, Indianapolis Colts, Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M, and of course the almighty (trying not to laugh) Oakland Raiders?

It's because I think for the most part those uniforms fit into the "classic" category.

So maybe what I'm saying is this: just because a uniform design or logo has been around for a while doesn't mean it's classic. It might just be stale. And there's some gray area between the two.

For example, I think the Raiders uniform is a little stale but also kind of a classic.

The Broncos still look great. Every look they had before the current one was awful to mediocre.

I think the Cardinals and Vikings would have fit nicely into this category until their recent updates.

The Chiefs and Redskins both look horrible, and I don't think either set is widely considered "classic", which keeps Cleveland, Indy, Dallas and Green Bay looking ugly and getting away with it.

Time for me to chime in...

Just the fact alone that the Chiefs use those bright-@$$ colors makes them look good--although maybe an update is in store, if not well overdue. The Raiders ain't changing no time soon...and I've finally accepted that. I don't think the Packers are, either. Those are both considered iconic and classic--and the Packers are the only NFL team that still uses the style of #5 that they use! (Follow me here..)

Now the Redskins? IMO they should go back to the 75th anniversary getup, with matching white top and current shell with the spear on the sleeve. The Vikings? Pure :puke:. I actually like the color purple, but I can't get with the Vikings' getup AT ALL. Now the Cards I'm a bit on the fence on. The Metcalf/Dierforf era uniforms were absolutely beautiful in my young opinion. What they have now ain't necessarily bad, but the piping is a bit overdone, like they were trying TOO HARD to be futuristic. Bland, to me would be the Colts and Jets--but that's just me. Nothing really iconic about either set (and i don't care that both won a championship in sets similar to those back before I was ever thought of)--just straight up dull. The Panthers' look has grown stale on me; i'd say it was time for an update. (I may be the only one who thinks the Panthers could do without the silver.) And even my boys, the Buccaneers--while I love their set, I also think a little refreshening wouldn't hurt, either. (But then, I really can't even stand to look at the same thing for too long...)

That's just my thoughts....for now.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For example, Penn State's unis are very plain, but they are not "stale" in the sense that the lack of flash is PSU's trademark

I know this is herasy, but Penn State's unis ARE stale. They have actually gotten more austere in the past 30+ years, losing the pant stripe, losing the numerals on the side and going from a lighter shade of blue to an almost black look. Texas is subdued but the steer head on the helmet and the double sleeve stripes keep it from being stale.

I would welcome at least a decal on the headgear for the Nittany Lions. Man, wouldn't THAT shake up this board!

FsQiF2W.png

A novel concept crossed my mind, but I'll throw it out there. I'm curious as to see what youguys would do with some of these "bland" uniforms to liven them up or whatever you'd say. I challenge you!

A novel concept crossed my mind, but I'll throw it out there. I'm curious as to see what youguys would do with some of these "bland" uniforms to liven them up or whatever you'd say. I challenge you!

What a great idea!

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showforum=46

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Pro teams in need of a change:

San Diego

Kansas City

Washington

Dallas

Philadelphia

Miami

New Orleans

Colleges:

Minnesota

Iowa

Kansas State

North Carolina

Virginia

Fresno State

TCU

Marshall

Both North Carolina and Virginia have updated in recent years. Carolina seemingly makes a minor change every year, and Virginia added blue pants last year and changed the sleeves on their jerseys this year. Carolina has toyed with the amount of navy on their uniforms for 10-15 years it seems.

What a great idea!

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showforum=46

Consider the challenge accepted...about three weeks ago!

New York Jets

Washington Redskins

And in those you'll find links to several other teams, as well.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Skins already have the perfect uniform set...their dark burgundy alternates with the spear on the helmets. THAT uniform and helmet would be perfect.

The Jets are in a no win situation. If they go the route of the Eagles and alter their green and add black or grey they'll look like a copy of the Eagles. If they stay the route their on now, they'll just look old and boring like they already are. I say its time to add another color other than black to this set. Greenish silver? Gold? (Colorado State-esque) Maroon (Milwaukee Bucks-esque).

Archived