NHL to use RBK unis

FlyersHockey1967

They don't look that different to me. But I think this might be a New Coke manuever - roll out a new, crappy product in order to get fans to realize how much they love the old one, then switch back.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the plus side, get your soon to be "classic" white and alternate NHL jerseys now from River City Sports at 25% off!

Offer good through Tuesday, January 23.

Might want to toss the word "replica" in there. :grin:

Well I don't like the fact that we didn't get to see the new uniforms for each or at least a few of the teams but at least we know that this will be a lot like when baseball switched to new uniforms in the early 70's. That fact that every team can stay the same if they wish is good news.

As for dark at home I'm not surprised like I said before it makes no sense to go white at home if 3rd jerseys are just going to be reintroduced in a few years.

The MLB-thing in the 70's was mentioned, but I think it was a different situation. Not every team changed. And it happened over the course of a few years, not in the same season. I think the Reds and Pirates were the first team to go to polyester pull-overs and stretch-waist pants instead of the button-down flannels. There was a larger variety of colors available, which allowed for radical striping patterns and logos. The Padres and Astros were the biggest offenders of this. Should I mention the all-red/burgundy looks of the Indians and Phillies? And many teams went to powder blue, just because they could.

Even when all was said and done, weren't there a few holdouts, like the Yankees and Dodgers?

This is different. Everyone is changing in some way.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I am very disapointed. I honestly believed that some, if not all the new jerseys would be shown today. Or at least a list of which teams WILL be changing logos, colours, etc. I hate that I waited for this day with such anticipation just to be let down. Poor planing on the NHL's part. They could have had a league wide unvailing and been able to sell all sorts of new merchandise over this all-star break week. I mean honestly, they could have SOLD OUT of new Stars gear easily. They dropped the ball and I hope this isn't a sign that things will only get worse before they improve. The only good thing about all this is now I can save up to buy an Authentic when they are released in September... lets hope we can pre-order within the coming months...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The only good thing about all this is now I can save up to buy an Authentic when they are released in September... lets hope we can pre-order within the coming months...

Hopefully not at those All-Star prices. Meigray has game-worn jerseys on their site cheaper than the numbered authentic All-Star jerseys at NHL.com.

1zgyd8w.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070122

? Jerseys will not be tucked in. A tucked-in concept was tried out midway through the design process -- the idea was that it would be more aerodynamic -- but the players nixed it. (And let's give the NHL credit for consulting with the players, which is more than the NBA did when introducing its ill-fated new ball.)

? Over the past several months, lots of reporters, Uni Watch included, have referred to the new uni program as a "template," raising fears that every NHL team would have to use a cookie-cutter system of matching graphic elements (much like in the 2006 Olympics, where most of the Nike-outfitted teams wore matching vertical shin stripes). But that's not happening. In other words, although the All-Star design has vertical jersey panels and slanted sock stripes, teams are free to continue using horizontal hemline stripes, horizontal shoulder yokes, and so on. The new system isn't so much about imposing a new graphic blueprint on the game; it's more about performance-driven tailoring, construction, and fabrics (all of which we'll get to in a minute). In fact, the only league-wide graphic change -- regrettably but predictably -- is that the jersey's NHL logo will move from the rear hemline to the front collar.

? Some earlier reports had indicated that team logos on the jerseys would have to be slightly smaller, but NHL executive VP Brian Jennings tells Uni Watch that this is not the case. In addition, several media outlets have suggested that the Maple Leafs would be getting a logo overhaul next season (one such report was just a few days ago), but Uni Watch has been assured that isn't happening either.

? While it remains to be seen how many teams will adhere to their classic looks, Uni Watch has confirmed that small visual signifiers are not being standardized out of existence. For example, the Blackhawks' jersey logo will still be chain-stitched, the Red Wings will still use vertically arched nameplate lettering, and the Rangers can still use a lace-up collar.

? The new jersey silhouette is definitely a bit slimmer, but not this slim. Given that many players have resorted to wearing billowy, poncho-like jerseys in an attempt to get a full range of motion in recent years, Uni Watch counts the sleeker look -- which will supposedly allow freedom of movement via the use of stretch fabrics -- as a return to sanity. (And if any players are thinking about modifying the new threads for a looser fit, the league plans to put the kibosh on that.)

? There were some early reports that the new socks were so tight that players would no longer have to use tape to keep their shin pads in place. But according to Avalanche defenseman John-Michael Liles, who spoke at a small media gathering last week, most players will probably still tape up. (And speaking of the socks: If you dig the sight of that nice textured ribbing, enjoy it while it lasts, because the new socks are slick and flat. They're so slick, in fact, that Reebok had to create a rubberized version for goaltenders, because some goalies were complaining that their pads wouldn't stay put when strapped onto the new hose.)

Phew.

More pics from NHL.com

c:documents%20and%20settingsrlevine.000my%20documentsmy%20picturesasg-day%201west_jersey_194x290.jpg

c:documents%20and%20settingsrlevine.000my%20documentsmy%20picturesasg-day%201east_jersey_194x280.jpg

On the plus side, get your soon to be "classic" white and alternate NHL jerseys now from River City Sports at 25% off!

Offer good through Tuesday, January 23.

Might want to toss the word "replica" in there. :grin:

As well as affordable.

Unless "classic" is a euphamism for "jack price up $50 American".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

DNA101012216_1024x768.jpg

...and the giant Chara sized manikin turned its head right, dropped its stick and proceeded to pick up Gary Bettman and consume him whole... like Frankenstein's monster before him, abomination turns on creator...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070122

? Jerseys will not be tucked in. A tucked-in concept was tried out midway through the design process -- the idea was that it would be more aerodynamic -- but the players nixed it. (And let's give the NHL credit for consulting with the players, which is more than the NBA did when introducing its ill-fated new ball.)

? Over the past several months, lots of reporters, Uni Watch included, have referred to the new uni program as a "template," raising fears that every NHL team would have to use a cookie-cutter system of matching graphic elements (much like in the 2006 Olympics, where most of the Nike-outfitted teams wore matching vertical shin stripes). But that's not happening. In other words, although the All-Star design has vertical jersey panels and slanted sock stripes, teams are free to continue using horizontal hemline stripes, horizontal shoulder yokes, and so on. The new system isn't so much about imposing a new graphic blueprint on the game; it's more about performance-driven tailoring, construction, and fabrics (all of which we'll get to in a minute). In fact, the only league-wide graphic change -- regrettably but predictably -- is that the jersey's NHL logo will move from the rear hemline to the front collar.

? Some earlier reports had indicated that team logos on the jerseys would have to be slightly smaller, but NHL executive VP Brian Jennings tells Uni Watch that this is not the case. In addition, several media outlets have suggested that the Maple Leafs would be getting a logo overhaul next season (one such report was just a few days ago), but Uni Watch has been assured that isn't happening either.

? While it remains to be seen how many teams will adhere to their classic looks, Uni Watch has confirmed that small visual signifiers are not being standardized out of existence. For example, the Blackhawks' jersey logo will still be chain-stitched, the Red Wings will still use vertically arched nameplate lettering, and the Rangers can still use a lace-up collar.

? The new jersey silhouette is definitely a bit slimmer, but not this slim. Given that many players have resorted to wearing billowy, poncho-like jerseys in an attempt to get a full range of motion in recent years, Uni Watch counts the sleeker look -- which will supposedly allow freedom of movement via the use of stretch fabrics -- as a return to sanity. (And if any players are thinking about modifying the new threads for a looser fit, the league plans to put the kibosh on that.)

? There were some early reports that the new socks were so tight that players would no longer have to use tape to keep their shin pads in place. But according to Avalanche defenseman John-Michael Liles, who spoke at a small media gathering last week, most players will probably still tape up. (And speaking of the socks: If you dig the sight of that nice textured ribbing, enjoy it while it lasts, because the new socks are slick and flat. They're so slick, in fact, that Reebok had to create a rubberized version for goaltenders, because some goalies were complaining that their pads wouldn't stay put when strapped onto the new hose.)

Phew.

When I read that on Espn.com I very happy. I wasn't sure if the horizontal stripes would be able to transition to the new jerseys but after knowing that they can, I feel much better. I assumed that the jerseys wouldn't be tucked in but it is still nice to be reassured of the fact.

I can't wait to see the jerseys for my self so I could finally judge them. I alread like the all-star jersey but feel they look pretty weird in that picture of Crosby

I'm going to pull my chair to the table, pick up my knife & fork and eat some crow. I posted here that the NHL was going to go to home whites next season as told by Andy Strickland in St. Louis and then defended the post when others questioned it. I was wrong.

I asked him what happened on another board (stltoday.com) and he said that he was told by a RBK rep that it was going to take place. He doesn't know why it didn't happen.

I learned a valuable lesson and I apologize to those whom (like myself) that I got excited about a false rumor.

Please pass the salt. :blush:

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Patrick LaForge (Oilers President and CEO) was interviewed by Dan Tencer from the Oilers radio broadcaster 630 CHED (audio here, jersey talk starts at ~5:43). I've transcribed the part related to the new jersey for those who can't or don't want to listen to the interview:

DT: One of the big events, you talked about the event down in Dallas, probably aside from the all-star game that will take place on Wednesday, the biggest hype has been around what happened yesterday and that was the unveiling of the new style of jerseys put together by Reebok. What's your initial impression of the new style and the new technology?

PL: I've seen it and been part of it I guess for a year and a bit and I just think its fantastic. I think it's gonna give us the modern look we need and our players are so athletic and muscular and so on and so forth the new jersey, it's not skin tight, but it brings it more into an athletic type feel and it's a rejuvenation of logos and colours so on and so forth. Very, very tight, I think. I think Oilers fans are gonna like what they see and I think the bigger more technical thing is that this is, this gear actually takes the moisture away from the players so the uncomfortablility of working in a sweaty jersey is gonna be reduced and so it also is a part of a change in gear, if you will, protection equipment underneath the jersey and so it should provide more protection for our players up and around the hips and in the arms so on and so forth, places that where players like ours who block a lot of shots and get in the way of the play a lot we should be able to count on fewer injuries.

DT: The one thing that Oiler fans will or I guess could notice most drastically at the beginning of the 07-08 season is a change in style to the jersey because with the new jerseys coming in this allows teams to kind of make changes to the jerseys if they want. Are the Oilers planning to do anything too radical to the jerseys?

PL: Well there will be, we're not going to have a third jersey for that year so just for that season we'll just have the home and away jersey, the white and the Oiler blue. There's no change in the logo of course, the Oiler logo and because of the way the shape, the jersey is shaped it's got a bit of a change in the way the piping will happen. There's piping in the jersey which is a technical term, ha, and I think you'll see fewer stripes, horizontal stripes on the jersey, but basically it's, basically it is a regeneration, it's very cool though. I think it's very good.

The comment about "rejuvenation of logos and colours" is worrisome. I think we're in for some unpleasant surprises over the next few months, especially after seeing the jumpsuit look of the All-Star uniforms. It may not be Slugalo awful, but I expect to at least see a few jerseys that are 1970s polyester baseball pullover bad.

As for the Oilers specific comments, I'm happy no changes are planned to the team logo (on a related note, I'm almost certain the oil worker secondary will be gone). Knowing Reebok's NHL practice jersey reflective piping and their CFL 'piping for everyone!' disasters this could be very, very bad, but I'm guessing the it will be something similar to the current Hamilton Bulldogs jersey

Hamilton_White_Replica_2006_Large_Image.jpgHamilton_Dark_Replica_Jersey_2006_large_image.jpg

The piping doesn't look so horrible on the white jersey. The coloured side panels on the red jersey though...

Does this mean that teams will have similar/same design templates for piping as well? Sees as the Bulldogs template is the same as the Rivermen template.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does this mean that teams will have similar/same design templates for piping as well? Sees as the Bulldogs template is the same as the Rivermen template.

That's been one of the big questions / concerns from the start and there has been a lot of conflicting information, especially recently. Reebok did it to the CFL and in other sports, Nike did it at the winter Olympics and in college sports, so I don't think anyone should be too shocked if some of the new designs end up being very similar to one another.

The Bulldogs jerseys were the first thing that came to mind when he talked about piping and less horizontal stripes. I didn't realize the Rivermen were wearing the same style. I think the white Bulldogs looks OK, but I don't like the way this pattern looks with the side panels being a different colour than the main body.

This just struck me, but if all teams are ditching their thirds next season, what was the point of the Sabres bringing back their classic for just one season? or are they planning on brining it back after they bring back the thirds? I know the Canucks are using their vintage for this season as a third but from what the rumours are, they are going back to the classic jersey for next season or something based on it.

Archived