NHL to use RBK unis

FlyersHockey1967

Im hoping to see the flyers jersey,

It would be so awesome if their new road jersey was orange again, in the normal style (or at least one similar to it, unlike their current 3rds)

Besides the fact that the Flyers should have the orange jerseys back and replace their current alternate with the black (like it was back in the 90's), the Philly sweaters shouldn't be touched. It's a good stripe design and good color scheme.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a good update for the Flyers would be to move to a template similar to the Sharks. Hopefully the new jerseys will provide a little modernization, while staying true to the colors and sleeve pattern.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It just hit me. My Authentic Flyers jerseys are going to waste. :mad::mad:

Well, look at it this way. If the new ones totally suck, you'll still have a better looking jersey, and for a lower price!

I don't get it, why is everyone so worried about their current authentics "going to waste"? I still see people wearing old jerseys all the time, like the old orange ones, old names like Hextall, Recchi, Roenick, Primeau, but who cares? It's a piece of history, so be proud of it.

Or...you could sell it on eBay. :wacko:

Any trades depend on keeping a playoff spot

By DAMIAN CRISTODERO, Times Staff Writer

Published January 19, 2007

FASHION FORWARD: Interesting about the league's uniform rollout is teams are allowed to modify logos and uniform details.

Considering the Lightning in the past explored a new logo and colors former GM Rick Dudley once advocated a color scheme of red, green and yellow, modifications are possible.

Team spokesman Bill Wickett said decisions will be made "very soon."

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Check this out. Pierre McGuire's comments:

Inside the glass: Getting rid of the urban myth

Pierre McGuire I've just left the fitting at the Reebok Plant in Montreal. On Monday, Reebok and the NHL will launch their new uniform system... and system it is.

Well-thought out, well-engineered, well-designed, this will help revolutionize the game even more. The Bead-away Sweater System will allow players to perspire and not retain any water in the jersey.

The protective girdle system is outstanding and has already been tested by numerous NHL players. A prototype is being worn by Ian Laperriere of the Colorado Avalanche. He is in love with it. Twelve of the 30 NHL teams have practiced in this equipment. There has been little resistance afterward.

A major myth that needs to be dispelled is that these are not Spider-Man outfits. These are hockey uniforms that will help make players faster, more skillful - because of how light they are. Teams will not have to change their logo or piping or color schemes unless they choose to do so.

The only thing they will have is the Bead-away System that will help them.

People are usually afraid of change. In this instance, they should be happy and embrace it. This is for the better.

http://www.nbcsports.com/insidetheglass/blog/

Check this out. Pierre McGuire's comments:

Inside the glass: Getting rid of the urban myth

Pierre McGuire I've just left the fitting at the Reebok Plant in Montreal. On Monday, Reebok and the NHL will launch their new uniform system... and system it is.

Well-thought out, well-engineered, well-designed, this will help revolutionize the game even more. The Bead-away Sweater System will allow players to perspire and not retain any water in the jersey.

The protective girdle system is outstanding and has already been tested by numerous NHL players. A prototype is being worn by Ian Laperriere of the Colorado Avalanche. He is in love with it. Twelve of the 30 NHL teams have practiced in this equipment. There has been little resistance afterward.

A major myth that needs to be dispelled is that these are not Spider-Man outfits. These are hockey uniforms that will help make players faster, more skillful - because of how light they are. Teams will not have to change their logo or piping or color schemes unless they choose to do so.

The only thing they will have is the Bead-away System that will help them.

People are usually afraid of change. In this instance, they should be happy and embrace it. This is for the better.

http://www.nbcsports.com/insidetheglass/blog/

Phew.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...;refer=amsports

NHL Considering Fining Players Who Alter New Uniforms (Update1)

By Michael Buteau

Jan. 19 (Bloomberg) -- The National Hockey League may create its first policy on uniforms enforced by fines to make sure players don't alter the new streamlined gear designed by Adidas AG's Reebok International Ltd.

The league is ``looking at rules and regulations,'' including fines to ensure players don't change the uniforms, which will be worn during the All-Star Game on Jan. 24 and used by all teams next season, Brian Jennings, the NHL's vice president of consumer products marketing, said in an interview.

The new gear, which the league and Reebok say is lighter, more aerodynamic and more protective, is being introduced as players are altering their current uniforms to make them more loose-fitting. The league probably won't allow that with the new Reebok uniforms, Jennings said.

``We recognize, and our general managers recognize, that aesthetically it's not good,'' Jennings said in an interview. ``It takes away and diminishes the look on the ice and more importantly, leaves our players vulnerable to injuries.''

The National Football League, Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association all have regulations governing everything from the length of a basketball player's shorts to the bagginess of a baseball player's pants to the height of a football player's socks. The NHL has no formal policy, league spokesman Frank Brown said.

Players as Tailors

Hockey players, seeking more room in their heavily padded, knee-length pants, often sew mesh inserts into them to allow more range of movement. Others players simply cut the inseam, leaving their pants looking baggy, damaged and oversized. Jennings said the stretchy fabrics in the new uniforms will eliminate the need for such crude alterations.

``It's more of a streamlined look,'' Jennings said. ``It's more anatomically fitting on the players.''

The NHL Players' Association, which worked with the league and Reebok designing and testing the new look, said it would fight any fines or sanctions the league tries to impose on players.

``Any rules that impact players' working conditions, such as their longstanding right to customize their equipment, would require our approval,'' former NHL right wing Mike Gartner, now the union's director of hockey affairs, said in a statement. ``We have heard nothing of this and would certainly object to any rule along those lines.''

Tests at MIT

Reebok, which bought Montreal-based Hockey Co., in April 2004 for about $204 million, tested the new uniforms in wind tunnels at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The form- fitting jerseys are made of fabrics that retain 76 percent less moisture and produce 9 percent less drag, thus creating lighter, faster players, said Matt O'Toole, president and chief executive officer of Reebok-CCM Hockey.

``Players are able to be faster and skate longer and more effectively on the ice,'' O'Toole said in an interview.

Similar streamlined uniforms developed by Nike Inc. and worn during the 2006 Winter Olympics were panned by players, who didn't like their tight fit. The new Reebok uniforms, which will be worn by all 30 NHL teams beginning next season, are not as form-fitting as many players originally feared.

``It's definitely not Spiderman,'' Jennings said.

Over the past several months, players have practiced in the new uniforms. While many said they like the look and appreciated the lightweight fabric, not everybody was impressed.

``The socks are awful,'' said Thrashers right wing Marian Hossa, who's tied for second in the NHL with 29 goals. ``They were way too tight. The look was so skinny. I didn't like it at all.''

Final Alterations

Jennings and O'Toole said player feedback, like Hossa's comments, are being considered as Reebok works to develop its final design and sizing before next season.

Reebok, which has several endorsement agreements with players including Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby, who leads the NHL with 69 points, originally considered creating a uniform with the jersey tucked into the pants. Players balked and Reebok determined that a tucked-in jersey retained too much body heat.

Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky, the NHL's career leading scorer, said his players ``genuinely like the look and feel'' of the uniforms. He didn't understand how a uniform could make players quicker, though.

``If everybody is wearing the same equipment, I don't know how anybody is going to be faster than the other guy,'' Gretzky said in an interview. ``But if they think they look better, then good for the NHL.''

The last major NHL uniform change came in the 1981-82 and 1982-83 seasons, when the Philadelphia Flyers and Hartford Whalers ditched their traditional knee-length hockey pants and above-the-knee hockey socks and wore long pants. The NHL eventually banned them.

Former Flyer Brad McCrimmon, who wore the long pants and didn't like them, said he was dubious of the league's claim that players will appear more athletic in the new equipment.

``Sidney Crosby would look pretty athletic if you put him in a tutu,'' he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael Buteau in Atlanta at mbuteau@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: January 19, 2007 14:38 EST

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Ottawa is one of the few teams whose home, road, and alternate jerseys are distinctively different from each other. Anyone heard if their dark uniforms will be red or black, if alternates are eliminated as rumoured? The Sens' red jerseys have that "swish", which might fit the no horizontal striping description.

On the Devils broadcast this afternoon Stan Fischler reported that the Devils uniform will basically stay the same.

Good. I'm a Devils fan and have always liked our jerseys and logos a lot

Ottawa is one of the few teams whose home, road, and alternate jerseys are distinctively different from each other. Anyone heard if their dark uniforms will be red or black, if alternates are eliminated as rumoured? The Sens' red jerseys have that "swish", which might fit the no horizontal striping description.

what part of teams will be allowed horizonal stripes do people not get.

Well, I imagine any horizontal strpes on the bottom will be kinda cut off cause of the slit in the sides

That wouldn't concern me so much as a complete lack of stripes.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived