Saints in All Black Today

ahub

Since the Clownboys will wear white at home, the Saints will have another opportunity to wear the all black look which, according to their website, was last worn on Dec. 6, 2002. Didn't realize it had been that long.

It doesn't work with the gold helmet, and big guys just look goofy due to the unitard effect.

04-U3553.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I can't believe that any of you would sit there in front of the keyboard and criticize the "all black" look. Some of you who are REAL Saints fans will remember that the last time that they wore all black was against the Panthers at BOA Stadium back in 2002. Remember the last play of the game? Remember Ricky scoring on the last play to keep us in contention for a playoff birth, although it did not happen. I DO! And if you're a real Saints fan, you wouldn't say anything bad because you know the wretchedness of the gold jerseys in '02 and '03. Remember in '02 on Sunday night vs. the Vikings? The gold vs. purple game? Remember how ugly that was? Remember how terrible the Saints played? I do because I was on the field for that crap.

I love the all black. My football players here at Northeastern are begging me to switch us back to all black like we were four seasons ago. You know the ironic thing, whenever the Ravens wear the all black, none of you complain. When the Falcons do it, none of you complain. But when the Saints do it, oh my god the world is going to come to an end.

Look, I love my Saints. I will defend them to the end. If they wear something that looks crappy, I'll be the first one to say it. But, I'm tired of reading about how you all dislike the Saints' uniform choices. I had to sit here and read about how some of you liked the state patch on the unis, how some of you said that the patch looked crappy, how the state patch was the wrong color, why they are wearing white at home, etc. Well I can tell you that it's the Equipment Manager's choice what they wear and what they don't. He coordinates it with the front office, the league office, and the opposing team. I think that Dan Simmons has made some great choices this season. I am glad to see the return of the state logo, considering all that has happened in the last 15 months.

I'm going to conclude by saying that if you don't like what they're wearing that's ok. It's your opinion and that's what this board is intended to do. But please, criticize all teams EQUALLY! Oh yeah, and one more thing:

GEAUX SAINTS!

dodgers-1.png

I love these all blacks. Can't say I like them anymore than the black jersey/gold pants, though. I had the white jersey/black pants look.

I agree with all of your comments.

Its just nice to see the all black look once in a while, but not full-time.

You know, I can't believe that any of you would sit there in front of the keyboard and criticize the "all black" look. Some of you who are REAL Saints fans will remember that the last time that they wore all black was against the Panthers at BOA Stadium back in 2002. Remember the last play of the game? Remember Ricky scoring on the last play to keep us in contention for a playoff birth, although it did not happen. I DO! And if you're a real Saints fan, you wouldn't say anything bad because you know the wretchedness of the gold jerseys in '02 and '03. Remember in '02 on Sunday night vs. the Vikings? The gold vs. purple game? Remember how ugly that was? Remember how terrible the Saints played? I do because I was on the field for that crap.

I love the all black. My football players here at Northeastern are begging me to switch us back to all black like we were four seasons ago. You know the ironic thing, whenever the Ravens wear the all black, none of you complain. When the Falcons do it, none of you complain. But when the Saints do it, oh my god the world is going to come to an end.

Look, I love my Saints. I will defend them to the end. If they wear something that looks crappy, I'll be the first one to say it. But, I'm tired of reading about how you all dislike the Saints' uniform choices. I had to sit here and read about how some of you liked the state patch on the unis, how some of you said that the patch looked crappy, how the state patch was the wrong color, why they are wearing white at home, etc. Well I can tell you that it's the Equipment Manager's choice what they wear and what they don't. He coordinates it with the front office, the league office, and the opposing team. I think that Dan Simmons has made some great choices this season. I am glad to see the return of the state logo, considering all that has happened in the last 15 months.

I'm going to conclude by saying that if you don't like what they're wearing that's ok. It's your opinion and that's what this board is intended to do. But please, criticize all teams EQUALLY! Oh yeah, and one more thing:

GEAUX SAINTS!

Im a huge saints fan and I love the black. I think it could be tweaked a little though. maybe switching the socks would help. goldsocks.jpgblacksocks.jpg

NOLAbanner.jpg

For the record, I hate monochrome, unless it is a team wearing white on white (traditional uniform look). I don't comment in these threads because it's just saying the same thing over and again. However, the next time you see someone praise a monochrome, know that there are some of us who hate it, but just don't bother to say that any more.

It's where I sit.

You know, I can't believe that any of you would sit there in front of the keyboard and criticize the "all black" look. Some of you who are REAL Saints fans will remember that the last time that they wore all black was against the Panthers at BOA Stadium back in

You know the ironic thing, whenever the Ravens wear the all black, none of you complain. When the Falcons do it, none of you complain. But when the Saints do it, oh my god the world is going to come to an end.

1. This is a forum discussing sports logos and uniforms. If that point escapes you or you don't care to hear your team's uniforms criticized because you feel that hurts them on the field or some othere absurd thing, pack your bags and head elsewhere.

2. Posters around here have given more than their fair share of criticism regarding the Falcons and Ravens in all black. I still contend that the only football team I've ever seen look good in all black is the Orlando Predators. But, in fairness, at least the Ravens and Falcons have black helmets to cap off the look. Gold stripey helmet + black, stripeless everything else = an aesthetical train wreck.

3. I didn't copy and quote your rant about the state patch, because I didn't want to embarrass you any further. Reading that once makes you look silly enough.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What? How can any REAL Saints fan call the gold jersey wretched?

So you think I'm not a real Saints fan because I don't like the all black look? Or because you think I don't rag on the Seahawks or Falcons or Cardinals (ugh!) for their monochrome combos? Ridiculous, offensive, and uninformed to boot, because I DO rag on those teams' monochrome looks - read my posts in other threads. I attended my first Saints game in 1969 and have been supporting them ever since. I think that qualifies me as a "real" fan. <_<

But...they don't look good in all black, and the gold jersey WAS wretched. IMHO of course. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

So you think I'm not a real Saints fan because I don't like the all black look? Or because you think I don't rag on the Seahawks or Falcons or Cardinals (ugh!) for their monochrome combos? Ridiculous, offensive, and uninformed to boot, because I DO rag on those teams' monochrome looks - read my posts in other threads. I attended my first Saints game in 1969 and have been supporting them ever since. I think that qualifies me as a "real" fan. <_<

But...they don't look good in all black, and the gold jersey WAS wretched. IMHO of course. :P

Agreed on the gold jersey! I'm a Saints fan living in StL & have followed them since '75.

I want the saints to return to the original colors, but not to the throwback uni.

The guy on the left is why I don't like any of the all-black uniforms (and monochromes in general):

488px-Die_Uniformen_der_Allgemeinen_SS.jpg

Which one of these guys was Archie Manning?

:rolleyes:

I guess I understand what this guy is saying about being reminded of certain things. I guess if I saw the Saints wearing nothing but pink laced thong underwear, while holding a glass of merlot I'd have trouble thinking of anything but my girlfriend.

I will mention that I hope the Saints NEVER wear pink laced th....you get the idea.

Your girlfriend drinks Merlot? That's dirty.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That all knowing Saints fan was wrong the players asked the Head Coach if they could wear the all black at home it was'nt the Equip. Manager. They also requested that they return to wearing the black jersey at home after Peyton had said they were going top wear the white jerseys at home. This is the players doing wake up!!!

The guy on the left is why I don't like any of the all-black uniforms (and monochromes in general):

488px-Die_Uniformen_der_Allgemeinen_SS.jpg

I think the last time THEY wore the all-black uniform was that home loss to the U.S. Army in 1945...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

You know, I can't believe that any of you would sit there in front of the keyboard and criticize the "all black" look. Some of you who are REAL Saints fans will remember that the last time that they wore all black was against the Panthers at BOA Stadium back in

You know the ironic thing, whenever the Ravens wear the all black, none of you complain. When the Falcons do it, none of you complain. But when the Saints do it, oh my god the world is going to come to an end.

1. This is a forum discussing sports logos and uniforms. If that point escapes you or you don't care to hear your team's uniforms criticized because you feel that hurts them on the field or some othere absurd thing, pack your bags and head elsewhere.

2. Posters around here have given more than their fair share of criticism regarding the Falcons and Ravens in all black. I still contend that the only football team I've ever seen look good in all black is the Orlando Predators. But, in fairness, at least the Ravens and Falcons have black helmets to cap off the look. Gold stripey helmet + black, stripeless everything else = an aesthetical train wreck.

3. I didn't copy and quote your rant about the state patch, because I didn't want to embarrass you any further. Reading that once makes you look silly enough.

Allow me to retort:

1. I never said that the uni color affects the way the team played.

2. I'm sure that many posters have not criticized the Falcons and Ravens all black unis. I happen the like the Falcons' unis and am considering using their template for our unis for the '08 season. And I happen to like the Ravens' monochrome look. When I served as the Equipment Manager for the Milwaukee Mustangs in 2000, we wore all white on the road. The Chiefs wore all red in that same season, if I remember correctly. I like that look. Oh and your comment of the Saints' uni being an aesthetical train wreck is reall silly. Especially considering the fact that you use the Preds as a comparison. I was the Equipment Manager for the Storm in 2001 and I can say in all honesty that Orlando's choice of all black was a bad one. Their uni looks terrible.

3. Thanks for not making me look silly considering the fact that there were people that post here that criticized the look of the patch, it's placement on the jersey, and the placement of the city of New Orleans on said patch.

Oh and by the way, nice job spell checking. Aloha!

As a lifelong Saints fan, and having been on the sideline for that game, I think that it was not a very good choice. In regards to saying that "And if you're a real Saints fan, you wouldn't say anything bad because you know the wretchedness of the gold jerseys in '02 and '03", I was a little harsh in saying that. Every Saints fan has a favorite uniform combo. I did not mean to insult you as a Saints fan or a person in general. I am sorry. Ok.

For the record, I hate monochrome, unless it is a team wearing white on white (traditional uniform look). I don't comment in these threads because it's just saying the same thing over and again. However, the next time you see someone praise a monochrome, know that there are some of us who hate it, but just don't bother to say that any more.

I would be foolish to assume that there are droves of people that either love, loathe, or hate a monochrome look. I like it in some instances. Prior to the 2005 season here at Northeastern, we were in all black at home and all white on the road, but with black socks. That was before I got here though. I also do not usually comment on threads such as this one. However when I composed my post, I felt the need to do so because. . . well actually I just wanted to pick a fight. Ok, not really. I just wanted to comment and that's the way that it came out. Again, I'm sorry.

Please enjoy the rest of football season. And again:

GEAUX SAINTS!

dodgers-1.png

Aaaaand... here we go.

1. I never said that the uni color affects the way the team played.

Fair enough. You didn't. But the way you got up in arms and began railing about "REAL" Saints fans made it appear that you felt criticism of the team's uniforms is equal to criticism of the team's performance, or of a fandom being traitorous to its team.

2. I'm sure that many posters have not criticized the Falcons and Ravens all black unis.

I'm sure many of them haven't, too, given that there are literally thousands of registered members on this board. But you said:

You know the ironic thing, whenever the Ravens wear the all black, none of you complain.

That's either ignorance on your part, or an intentional distortion/exaggeration used to foster your irrational argument.

3. Thanks for not making me look silly considering the fact that there were people that post here that criticized the look of the patch, it's placement on the jersey, and the placement of the city of New Orleans on said patch.

Many of these criticisms are justified. The rendering of the state of Louisiana on the patch appears substandard, or at least it did in preseason games. I haven't had a good enough close-up shot of it since to judge whether the regular-season patches are of a higher quality. The placement in an awkward position on the chest may be to increase its prominence, but it can make the jersey front come across as cluttered. Same goes for the Jets, or the Colts' brief experiment of a horseshoe on the front. Such a patch would be better on the sleeves, where a similar logo was during the '80s and early '90s. Your throwaway line at the end about "with all that's happened in the last 15 months" implies that any uniform move done by the Saints should not be subject to aesthetic criticism while the memory of Hurricane Katrina is still fresh. That's the silly and embarrassing part.

Oh and by the way, nice job spell checking. Aloha!

Well then, time for a pot/kettle moment:

Oh and your comment of the Saints' uni being an aesthetical train wreck is reall silly. Especially considering the fact that you use the Preds as a comparison.

Mahallo.

I think the main reason that teams do this is to contrast with the away team. The Saints, in my opinion, probably wore all black so as not to have their version of gold pants clash with the Niners gold pants. Same reason why the Giants seem to always wear red against the Cowboys. Contrast. The Falcons do this also, with the exception of the Saints game they played last year and this year, they pick the alternate days for teams that black would contrast well against.

The people who watched the Georgia Tech/Notre Dame game at the beginning of the year remember how painful it was seeing two teams play each other with no other color but gold. GT was too dumb to wear the navy blue tops that night.

That's just my theory and when teams stick to this rule of contrast then alternates and black monochromes can look very sharp.

I think the main reason that teams do this is to contrast with the away team. The Saints, in my opinion, probably wore all black so as not to have their version of gold pants clash with the Niners gold pants. Same reason why the Giants seem to always wear red against the Cowboys. Contrast. The Falcons do this also, with the exception of the Saints game they played last year and this year, they pick the alternate days for teams that black would contrast well against.

The people who watched the Georgia Tech/Notre Dame game at the beginning of the year remember how painful it was seeing two teams play each other with no other color but gold. GT was too dumb to wear the navy blue tops that night.

That's just my theory and when teams stick to this rule of contrast then alternates and black monochromes can look very sharp.

Well said. The G-Tech/ND game was absolutely horrid to watch. I couldn't believe they allowed that to happen. I saw a highlight today from the Saints/'Niners game and realized how well the all black looked against the 'Niners.

Archived