Anyone else BORED SICK of the current NBA right now?

leedsunited

As a young'un, I was all about the NBA. Loved it, pored over every year's Street & Smith's, watched NBA on TBS religiously, followed the cult of Hubie Brown, and devoured every minute of the playoffs.

Now? Can't give two shakes about what's going on. No one interests me (yes, even Lebron), most of the teams seemed wallowed in perpetual mediocrity, expansion has diluted the talent base so badly it's sad to watch, the skill level is completely off, and it's more about the spectacle than substance.

On the flip side, I have been getting into the NHL like no one's business and i'm absolutely loving it.

I think the NBA is great. Honestly, it's too bad that it has to share the spotlight with hockey. Oh wait...it doesn't. Hockey is irrelevant in the American sports landscape.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

What is this game basketball of which you speak? :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

As a kid in the early to mid 90's I was a huge NBA fan. I didn't really have a favorite team living in St. Louis but I enjoyed the games in general. Now it just seems ridiculous since teams are putting up 120 points in a game. I much prefer the college game over the NBA.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I'm suprised that a post like this came after a game like the one in the link below...

Suns 167- Nets 151 (!!!)

But yeah, overall, the product has been less entertaining than the days of the Dynasty Bulls, Magic, Bird, the 90s Rockets, and when the Hawks were good. But, nonetheless, it's still entertaining to me, and I'd rather watch a basketball game than a baseball game or a hockey game (unless it's in person, then I'd go to the hockey game in a heartbeat). But yeah, I think parity is a good thing for the game, because it's way better than seeing the same team win over and over and over. I mean, come on, who didn't get a little bit tweaked at the fact that for 20 years, there were basically 8 good sets of teams (only 4 franchises: 80s Celtics, 80s Lakers, Early-90s Bulls, 90s Rockets, Late 90s Bulls, and early-00's Lakers) in the NBA. So yeah, I'm glad tht the boomerang of parity has hit the NBA in a big way.

So, other than coaches being too scared to run the ball for fear of getting scored on themselves, and rampant traveling (not talking about road trips...lol lame joke.), the NBA is fine. Not great, but fine as it is.

I agree 100%...I was a HUGE NBA fan...lured into it my the Jordan mystique and thrived on the NBA for years. The characters of the game were amazing (Barkley, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Dominique & Spud in the dunk contests). I found a copy of an old Laker/Celtic playoff game and WOW...that replay could be primetime television now. True 5-on-5 basketball...passing...everyone a threat...amazing.

Now...AI scoring 33 points off of 74 shots, Kidd going 1-for-8 from three point land...blah blah blah. Lebron James has a lot of weight on his shoulders!

SB40terribletowel.jpg6220steelers.jpglicense_thum.jpg

I got into the NBA during the Bulls-Jazz finals era, mostly because of the Raptors (back then I thought the jerseys with the giant red dino on the front were the coolest thing ever). Because of them I got into the rest of the league, and watched those two NBA finals between the Bulls and Jazz with the same excitement that I watched the Stanley Cup finals. Then for some reason, I'm not really sure why, I lost interest. Now the only team I really care about are the Raptors. If they moved or folded I wouldn't give the NBA a second thought.

I can point to two things that make this NBA unbearable to watch compared to the NBA of the 90's.

First is the NBA's players-first approach. Never, EVER will you again see a promo for a Cavs-Lakers game as simply Cavs-Lakers, but rather, LeBron-Kobe. It's almost as if the teams are just a way of placating the star players. Then there's the complete ignorance of post play. If Kareem or Bill Russell were playing in today's game, they would not get the same pub as Dwyane Wade gets, because Wade makes all these cool moves to get to the basket, while Kareem just posts up and gets a good inside shot. Same result on the scoreboard, but one looks cooler, and so that's what the league endorses.

Second is the TV contract. The NBA on NBC was as great a tradition as Monday Night Football on ABC. Then it got taken away and put on ESPN (with sucky coverage), and now that network makes sure every Cavs or Heat game is televised somehow. With the NBA on NBC on weekends or the occasional weekday, you'd get a lot of exposure for all the NBA's okay teams. But since the NBA is now on the National Hype Machine (ESPN), only a few markets get any recognition anymore, and it really isn't interesting to watch now.

That plus games themselves are really only interesting starting with about 3 minutes left in the game. Basically, now the only time I'd ever watch is when the Lakers are on, and even then I find it hard to just sit and watch a game.

espnsig.gif

Its NFL season and its the stretch drive, I like hockey better any way Bowl games Christmas Time, yeah I agree, I likely wont care about the NBA for a month.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

what are you guys talking about, basketball boring :therock: i guess you didnt wathc the suns nets game last night or you havn't been watching phoenix suns games latley. Basketball is a fast paced game, i love watching a swish or a good dunk and i have a hard time figureing out why you would think its boring and you guys are saying how the leauge only endores the exicting player, what about Tim Duncan he plays a boring game but gets alot of exposure, but every leauge endorse the more exicting player more just like how Mike Vick gets talked about more than a guy like Matt Haselback. The onlty time basketball is boring is in the last few minutes when there are hundereds of timeouts and fouls. There are a few players like Allen Iverson who i cant stand because he is me first, but there are more players that are team player and who pass it around than there are AI's

I've been bored with it since OJ killed his wife and they interrupted the game for his bronco chase. It's only fun in the playoffs and if you wager something on it...like a "favor" from a girl :D

KISSwall09.jpg

Basketball? Isn't that the game that's just for tall people?

Got something against tall People, huh, do ya? :cursing: (I'm 6'6")

:P Kiddin.

But on topic. I used to be nuts about the NBA, right up until Jordan retired for the second time, and the lockout at the start of the 1998-99 season. Since then, it's been absolutely dredful. It's boring to watch. They don't even try, then bitch about getting more money. It's now all influenced by Hip Hop, with all the retro and other stupid BS. It's no longer about BASKETBALL. One positive step was the rule about being one year removed from High School to enter the draft. I say it should be 21 as the age to enter. College basketball is so much better because they are actually playing for something, and trying. In the NBA, most players just jog or walk up and down the court and then stand still while one player tries do some stupid one-on-one move against a guy. It's a shame that guys who actually try, like Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, as well as other great players, are playing in the NBA during this time. They'd be better fit if they had been around during the glory days of Magic, Jordan, and Bird. They'd get even more respect as Players, I feel.

I often look at college basketball as the real professionals. Not only is it a better brand of team basketball but in a lot of cases the guys playing college ball are actually older and more mature than the guys in the NBA thanks to the new wave of high schoolers entering the league.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I can point to two things that make this NBA unbearable to watch compared to the NBA of the 90's.

First is the NBA's players-first approach. Never, EVER will you again see a promo for a Cavs-Lakers game as simply Cavs-Lakers, but rather, LeBron-Kobe. It's almost as if the teams are just a way of placating the star players.

Second is the TV contract. The NBA on NBC was as great a tradition as Monday Night Football on ABC. Then it got taken away and put on ESPN (with sucky coverage), and now that network makes sure every Cavs or Heat game is televised somehow. With the NBA on NBC on weekends or the occasional weekday, you'd get a lot of exposure for all the NBA's okay teams. But since the NBA is now on the National Hype Machine (ESPN), only a few markets get any recognition anymore, and it really isn't interesting to watch now.

Whoa, now. Revisionist history there, BIG TIME. First of all, player > team is not a new development in the NBA. Remember the old commercials?

Magic vs. Bird! It's the NBA on NBC!

Stockton and Malone vs. Jordan and Pippen! It's the NBA on NBC!

Jordan vs. Ewing! It's the NBA on NBC!

We clamored for team basketball. We were sick of solo players getting all the attention. Do you know what we got? The San Antonio Spurs vs. the New Jersey Nets. I'll take player vs. player.

Second of all, "NBC only shows so and so" had always been a complaint. It was either big-market teams like the Lakers and Knicks, top-level teams like the Jazz, or both like the Bulls. You're always going to have that, which really, makes perfect sense for national broadcasts. I'd argue that TNT has done a better job than NBC at bringing bad teams into the shuffle, like Golden State.

Archived