Washington Nationals New Ballpark

jkrdevil

looks great. its truly a modern ballpark that has the same feel of an old time park much in the mold of Jacobs Field in Cleveland.

what i want to know is, if they havent broken ground yet with it allready being the middle of December of 2006, how in the hell do they expect to have the place open by April of 2008?

The Cardinals broke ground on Busch III on January 17, 2004 and it opened just over 2 years later in April of 2006. Although it wasn't completly finished...they also had to deal with waiting until Busch II was torn down. That's not the case with this park.

I think it could be done by April of 2008. Ground was broken earlier this year according to Wikipedia (yes I know, not the most reliable source). It'll be a round the clock effort I'm sure.

The centerfield area looks somewhat disorganized.

The trees in leftfield are very unique and I like that feature a lot.

I like the placement of the light standards.

With the buildings beyond the leftfield stands this will be one of the few ballparks with an urban view.

Construction Photo Page

Construction Blog

Hopefully the Cherry Blossoms will hold their leaves a bit longer every year (the trees in left field). The Peak time I guess is the end of March.

It'll be cool the first time a ball gets hit into those in full bloom.

I didn't even notice those the first time. I know these images aren't always perfectly accurate, but I wonder if that giant W in the batters eye will stay or get changed to something green. Seems like it could be a distraction.

The centerfield area looks somewhat disorganized.

The trees in leftfield are very unique and I like that feature a lot.

I like the placement of the light standards.

With the buildings beyond the leftfield stands this will be one of the few ballparks with an urban view.

Construction Photo Page

Construction Blog

Hopefully the Cherry Blossoms will hold their leaves a bit longer every year (the trees in left field). The Peak time I guess is the end of March.

It'll be cool the first time a ball gets hit into those in full bloom.

I didn't even notice those the first time. I know these images aren't always perfectly accurate, but I wonder if that giant W in the batters eye will stay or get changed to something green. Seems like it could be a distraction.

That may be one of those between-inning ad boards. Off the top of my head Shea Stadium and Old Busch have/had it. Yankee Stadium has the neon Budweiser sign in centerfield.

1997 | 2003

Must just be me, but it looks more like a minor league teams park than a major league club.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

It looks great, but I'll miss RFK. I went to one game last season, it has(d) a great atmosphere.

I saw a Phils-gNats game at RFK two years ago. Reminded me of the Vet a lot (except, y'know, cleaner), which I enjoyed seeing games at. Only trouble is, I'm spoiled by the new ballpark here in Philly so everything else is just not the same.

As for this one, I like it. It mixes in a lot of elements from other ballparks while staying unique. I too like the cherry trees in left field... seems very fitting for a ballpark in DC, I think.

philly.png

what i want to know is, if they havent broken ground yet with it allready being the middle of December of 2006, how in the hell do they expect to have the place open by April of 2008?

Ummm....they did break ground....nearly eight months ago....
Official Groundbreaking ceremony for the Nationals new stadium was May 4, 2006.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

They can't build that thing soon enough! I just hope the city/builders don't completely block off the views of the DC landmarks. RFK is a dump, just like the Vet was! I went to the Vet in 1996 for the Army-Navy game and have been to RFK for 'Skins and DC United games.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

They can't build that thing soon enough! I just hope the city/builders don't completely block off the views of the DC landmarks. RFK is a dump, just like the Vet was! I went to the Vet in 1996 for the Army-Navy game and have been to RFK for 'Skins and DC United games.

Fortunately I still have time to cross you off my holiday-card list. :mad:

Card List:

Mom and Dad

Sister

Girlfriend

Jeff Garcia

Brian Westbrook

Rocky Balboa

Barbaro

Vitamin D

gregjigga5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nationals Park sounds so good. Too bad it'll only be called that for about three more seconds until someone buys naming rights.

Also, the placement of the Nationals wordmark above the video screen bugs me. Looks great, otherwise.

I think "The National Ballpark" could be cool as well.

Archived