The clippers need a new logo

TheoW

Time! Time! Time! Time! Time! Time! Time! Time!

*waits for vertical blue line to shuttle down*

oh, right...it's not just you, compare the clips current logo to the lakers logo...can you say *Lakers B squad?*  i knew you could :;):

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

That is why the Clippers are the worst professional orginization ever they accept being the Lakers mini me. They have to make radical changes and find their own arena and own city.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I have been thinking about this for a while, coz it is such an easy thing to say yeah the clippers should move and everything, however I guess being based in Los Angeles gives the franchise a much better lever into foreign markets, as opposed to say being based in St Louis as an example of a less glamorous place (no offence to anyone!) I can't think of any other reason not to move really.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That is why the Clippers are the worst professional orginization ever they accept being the Lakers mini me. They have to make radical changes and find their own arena and own city.

they dont need to move, just change their identity. go back to the sail boat logo, and change the font on the unis to the font on the sail boat logo, and put the nautical falgs on the shorts (teh ones on the throwback). keep the current colors, though. then you will have an identity seperate from the lakers, but you get the perks of staying in l.a.

No, no, they really do need to move.  At the very least, they need to be sold.  As long as Donald Sterling doesn't really care, the Clips will always be horrible.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

oh, right...it's not just you, compare the clips current logo to the lakers logo...can you say *Lakers B squad?* i knew you could :;):

I take it this is what you were looking for (copy and paste).

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

San Diego or Anaheim could both work they just cant share the Lakers arena any more.

There's a lovely arena known as the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim that could take a team.  (correct me if I'm wrong, didn't they once call the Pond home?)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

oh, right...it's not just you, compare the clips current logo to the lakers logo...can you say *Lakers B squad?* i knew you could :;):

I take it this is what you were looking for (copy and paste).

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

wow nailclippers as a team logo, how innovative!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Actually the Clppers played like 5 games a year at the Pond from 1994-1999 If I recall correctly  they even had fairly good attendence there and fans wanted them to move there full time but of course when you are the worst run in the history of team sports you never do the right thing.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Clipper logo is boring but crisp; I like the "LAC" logo, and they are using that a lot more. Going back to the SD scheme might work, but I doubt a complete redesign would be a major improvement over what they have now. Going back to Braves as the team name might also work--"L.A. Braves" has a nice ring to it, and they can make the Chilis' "Fight Like A Brave" their team song.

Some clarification on management: the Clippers did play some regular-season games in Anaheim, and still play pre-season games there. They were offered the opportunity to move there a few years ago, which they turned down. Bear in mind that this was when they were playing in the LA Sports Arena, easily the worst NBA arena in the last 20 years (even college teams hate playing there). Sterling held on for a chance to play at Staples, and they have been making a ton of money there. Given the lukewarm attendance for the Ducks, the Pond would now have ZERO chance of landing the Clips today.

As for SD, Sterling will never move the team back there, because when they were originally there and fielded a pretty decent team (World B. Free, Tom Chambers, Michael Cage, Byron Scott), they still only averaged about 3,000 fans per game. There's no reason to move to a city that will only turn out for a championship-level franchise when a mediocre "2nd team" in LA will make a billionaire even richer. As far as owners go, Sterling may be crazy like a fox - he's gotten a lot more out of his investment than, say, Mr. Moneybags Paul Allen, who singlehandedly destroyed the strongest fan support in the NBA, and only had to spend several hundred million to do so. One advantage of being "downmarket" in LA that people don't really talk about much is that Clipper crowds are a diverse group of families, teenagers, and younger fans, while Lakers games are almost entirely middle-aged white men with six-figure incomes and their pneumatic girlfriends.

They built the team around some talented malcontents (Odom, Olowokandi, Miles, McInnis, Miller), but now that they've locked up some solid players to long-term deals and gotten a great coach, they are turning it around. This was supposed to be strictly a rebuilding year, but they are now 1/2 game under .500 and regularly beating good teams like New Orleans. They are the only badly-managed franchise to beat the Mavericks twice this season--that's Sterling 2, Cuban 0.

10 years or so ago the Clips made a big to do about re-doing their image and even considering a name change.  Like EVERYTHING with this "team" there's no substance.  Mr. Sterling is content to make $ @ Staples and NEVER bother to field a competitive team.  LA is a 2-NBA town, provided the Clips ever reach actual NBA status.  They'd be as successful in Anaheim but do Billy Crystal & Frankie Muniz make the drive to see the Clips in OC?  I've ranted before, LA is THE fairweather sports town.  The Clips remain an NBA abyss and there's no indication Mr. Sterling will let them go.  A holiday pity, really... :(

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

I like the Clippers logo and regular uniforms (not crazy about the thirds).  If they're drawing okay at Staples then I've got no problem with them staying there as opposed to moving to Anaheim.  I do have to agree that the Sports Arena is shall we say less than the optimal place to play (I was actually there a couple of times in the early 80's and it was clearly below contemporary stadium standards at that time too), it did have that old-time sports gym feel to it and I'll take that any day over the hyper-sanitized, generic Mike Brady creations any day of the week.  But since I'm just an average fan and not a well-heeled corporate fatcat more concerned about entertaining equally disinterested clients, my opinion really doesn't drive the output of today's sports architects.

Archived